[comp.sys.amiga] University of Waterloo

amir@pro-generic.cts.com (Amir Michail) (07/09/89)

I'm going to the University of Waterloo for computer science next fall.  I
have heard that it is impossible to have a modem connection in residence (it
is not allowed).  Is having my own computer useful at all there?

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!amir
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!amir@nosc.mil
INET: amir@pro-generic.cts.com

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (07/10/89)

Amir Michail <amir@pro-generic.cts.com> in <4584@crash.cts.com> writes

> I'm going to the University of Waterloo for computer science next fall.

Oh, could not make it into Electrical Engineering? Just kidding...
Congratulations for making it into Canada s top CS and EE school!

> I have heard that it is impossible to have a modem connection in residence
> (it is not allowed).  Is having my own computer useful at all there?

If Waterloo s residences are like Ottawa s, then a receptionist routes all
calls made to you through an internal phone network. But you should also be
able to have Bell install your own phone line in your room.

In any case, it will be very useful for you to have a own computer in your
room. Most CS assignements you will get will have to be written in Turbo
Pascal. Metacompost Pascal is comes close enough, but using the Transformer
to run Turbo on your Amiga is even better. Try also getting an A1010 (5.25
drive.

Now let me give you a mild warning. Waterloo will first make you a
mathematician, then a Computer Scientist. In the first two years, you will get
clobbered with Math courses, and allowed to take only a couple of CS courses
per term. I have two friends which enrolled into CS at Waterloo, they got great
grades in first year, but then failed so miserably in their second that they
got kicked out for good. Waterloo CS is well known for its brain blasters. And
remember that unlike in EE, your are not automatically enrolled into Co-op. If
you dont make it into Co-op after the first year, I strongly suggest that you
transfer to another University. Like Ottawa for example. Our co-op programme
is also selective, but somewhat more accessible.

Remember that all Canadian Universities are somewhat equal in quality, we dont
have the discrepancy existing between the American ones. It is the co-op
programme which gave Waterloo its reputation (or that quality of students that
it thus attracted) so you are better off getting into another University s
co-op programme that getting into Waterloo s regular stream.

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may distroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (07/10/89)

In article <8907100559.AA11482@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>Amir Michail <amir@pro-generic.cts.com> in <4584@crash.cts.com> writes
>> I have heard that it is impossible to have a modem connection in residence
>> (it is not allowed).  Is having my own computer useful at all there?
>
>If Waterloo s residences are like Ottawa s, then a receptionist routes all
>calls made to you through an internal phone network. But you should also be
>able to have Bell install your own phone line in your room.

Let someone who lived there answer the question. Every room in Village One
and Two (where Amir will probably be living, unless he got into a Church
College residence) has a phone. Phones are NOT jacked, so one has to know
what wires go where to connect a phone. Phone lines are party lines - there
are two 'rooms' (I'm counting two interconnecting rooms as one 'room') per
phone line. Modems to be prohibited for a couple of reasons - people
mis-wiring modems (and screwing up or thinking they screwed up the line)
and your line-mate picking up the phone when you are using the modem
(there is nothing like picking up the phone to call and getting the shriek
of a modem - people who don't know what this is call Bell and complain the
line is bad). So, get ahold of your party line-mate and mention that if
they hear this whine its your modem and not the phone. (And don't get caught :-)

Oh ya, Bell does NOT install lines into the rooms, every room is pre-wired.
You get a phone whether you want one or not. The line charges are already
part of your residence bill; you just have to pay the long distance
charges.

>In any case, it will be very useful for you to have a own computer in your
>room. Most CS assignements you will get will have to be written in Turbo
>Pascal. Metacompost Pascal is comes close enough, but using the Transformer
>to run Turbo on your Amiga is even better. Try also getting an A1010 (5.25
>drive.

I don't know who you've been talking to.... 1st year CS courses (for those
wanting to become CS majors) have all assignments done during fixed times
in a lab full of (*shudder*) MAC II's. PASCAL is used; so is FORTRAN, MAPLE
and who knows what else. This setup has been in place for at least a year
or more.

Thus don't go out and spend your money on hardware (A1010) or software
(Transformer) that you don't need.

In the upper years you'll be using alot of C (I know I did); this may
change, but not soon.

But it is nice to have a computer (and a modem) in your room. You can dialup
the main-frames, or play games when you should be working.

>Now let me give you a mild warning. Waterloo will first make you a
>mathematician, then a Computer Scientist.

If you want to become a Computer Scientist you'll need to know a fair
amount of math. If you want to become a Computer *Programmer*, save yourself
some money (and a couple of years) by going to one of those colleges (DeVry ?).

	fred

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (07/10/89)

In article <8907100559.AA11482@jade.berkeley.edu> you write:
>Amir Michail <amir@pro-generic.cts.com> in <4584@crash.cts.com> writes
>
>> I'm going to the University of Waterloo for computer science next fall.
>> I have heard that it is impossible to have a modem connection in residence
>> (it is not allowed).  Is having my own computer useful at all there?
>
>If Waterloo s residences are like Ottawa s, then a receptionist routes all
>calls made to you through an internal phone network. But you should also be
>able to have Bell install your own phone line in your room.

Ok, I just called the kind people at the Student Villages ( the University
residence ).  It is true that in those residence, they do not allow
you to have modems.  Oh well.  Of course, not all the residences have those
rules.  But, there is no internal phone network ... two rooms share a party
line.  So, I suppose if your phone-mates didn't object, you could use one
anyway!  ( who said that?!?! )  And you cannot get another phone installed.

>In any case, it will be very useful for you to have a own computer in your
>room. Most CS assignements you will get will have to be written in Turbo
>Pascal. Metacompost Pascal is comes close enough, but using the Transformer
>to run Turbo on your Amiga is even better. Try also getting an A1010 (5.25
>drive.

No, that is not true.  In 4 years I used Pascal for 3 courses and it was
always WP ( Waterloo Pascal ).  Now the first year courses are on MacII's
( we had VM/CMS and PC's ) and they use god-knows-what ... the second year
course ( last term ) was on a Vax8600 ( or 11/780 ) running a BSD Unix
variant.  They use a cornucopia of languages ( Pascal, Ada, Prolog, C, Fortran,
etc. ) none of which is ( thank God ) Turbo Pascal.

What have I used my computer for?  Editing, word processing ( you will
have to take >10 non-math courses while you are here and a large number
of math courses even require essay-type assignments ), games!, and
( of course ) dialing up the school.  Of course, I didn't live in the
Villages, so I didn't have the problem of not being allowed to use my
modem.

Of course, why bother?  I'd rather walk to the school and use the computers.
There is no shortage of terminals ( we have _tons_ of them ) and the 9600
baud Sytek network is much faster than either 1200 or 2400 baud dialup
( no, you couldn't dial in at 9600 baud even if you wanted to ).

Not to mention the fact that in first year, since you will use MacII's,
using a modem is  not even an option.

And don't bother with the 5 1/4" drive.  You won't use PC's and even if
if you need to, there are lots of 3 1/2" drives around.

>Now let me give you a mild warning. Waterloo will first make you a
>mathematician, then a Computer Scientist. In the first two years, you will get

Which, of course, is the best way to go ... :-)

>clobbered with Math courses, and allowed to take only a couple of CS courses
>per term. I have two friends which enrolled into CS at Waterloo, they got great

Well, not clobbered ... mildly assulted maybe ... but the point is correct.
You get one CS course a term for 4 terms, and 2-4 math courses a term over
the 1st 4 terms.

>grades in first year, but then failed so miserably in their second that they
>got kicked out for good. Waterloo CS is well known for its brain blasters. And
>remember that unlike in EE, your are not automatically enrolled into Co-op. If
>you dont make it into Co-op after the first year, I strongly suggest that you
>transfer to another University. Like Ottawa for example. Our co-op programme
>is also selective, but somewhat more accessible.

Wrong here.  You are in Co-op when you get here, or you are not in Co-op.
You can try to get in after 1st year, but it is hard.  If you are not in
Co-op already, and want to be, talk to someone _as_soon_as_you_get_here!

You are not automatically enroled, you have to apply.  But you do it before
getting accepted.

>Remember that all Canadian Universities are somewhat equal in quality, we dont
>have the discrepancy existing between the American ones. It is the co-op
>programme which gave Waterloo its reputation (or that quality of students that
>it thus attracted) so you are better off getting into another University s
>co-op programme that getting into Waterloo s regular stream.

Shhhhhsh ... come on Valentin, you'll ruin everything!!! :-)

Actually, I partially agree with that analysis.  But one thing which doesn't
relate to the quality of students is the UW has a good rep in the the
business world, so regardless of how good you are, the piece of paper
will help you get a job when you get out ( in southern Ontario/Ottawa, at
least ).

Of course, I could care less.  I'm starting my Masters in the fall ... :-)

Blair
--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =

giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) (07/10/89)

Well, folks, I think it's time to end this discussion in comp.sys.amiga.
Yes, there are a lot of people here with Amigas, but somehow I don't think
the rest of the world cares.  Followups are being redirected to soc.college.
If anyone out there still has any questions about UW, post there or send
me mail.

(No one pointed out that Waterloo is also the home of the one-and-only
unique Davis Centre... read my review in a certain magazine :-) )

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

charliek@cognos.UUCP (Charlie Krasic) (07/11/89)

In article <8907100559.AA11482@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In any case, it will be very useful for you to have a own computer in your
>room. Most CS assignements you will get will have to be written in Turbo
>Pascal. Metacompost Pascal is comes close enough, but using the Transformer

Huh?  I'm a CS student at Waterloo (2nd year).  NOT all assignments are
in Pascal.  Most of your first year assignments (about 75%) will be in
Pascal.  After that, almost none of them are.  The main languages for second
year courses are Ada and C++.  After that, who knows... courses change
all the time.

>Now let me give you a mild warning. Waterloo will first make you a
>mathematician, then a Computer Scientist. In the first two years, you will get
>clobbered with Math courses, and allowed to take only a couple of CS courses
>per term. I have two friends which enrolled into CS at Waterloo, they got great

Actually, he will get exactly ONE Computer Science course per term in the first
two years.

>grades in first year, but then failed so miserably in their second that they
>got kicked out for good. Waterloo CS is well known for its brain blasters. And
>remember that unlike in EE, your are not automatically enrolled into Co-op.

What? WRONG.  Math Co-Op starts FIRST year.  Your first Co-Op term
is either four months after you start or eight months -- depending
on what stream you choose.  If you are NOT in Co-Op in first year,
then it will be relatively difficult to get in later (or so I'm told...)

>you dont make it into Co-op after the first year, I strongly suggest that you
>transfer to another University. Like Ottawa for example. Our co-op programme
>is also selective, but somewhat more accessible.

Doubt it.  I've heard that about 80% of Waterloo math students are Co-Op.
Unless by accessable, you mean admissions. :-)  -- but of course, he's already
accepted...

>Remember that all Canadian Universities are somewhat equal in quality, we dont

Debatable!! :^) :^)

>have the discrepancy existing between the American ones. It is the co-op
>programme which gave Waterloo its reputation (or that quality of students that
>it thus attracted) so you are better off getting into another University s
>co-op programme that getting into Waterloo s regular stream.

Did he say he was in regular stream?  I must have missed that...

--
Charlie Krasic  3755 Riverside Dr.  VOICE: (613) 738-1338 ext.5157
Cognos, Inc     P.O. Box 9707       FAX: (613) 738-0002

brett@umd5.umd.edu (Brett Bourbin) (07/12/89)

In article <6504@cognos.UUCP> charliek@cognos.UUCP (Charlie Krasic) writes:
>In article <8907100559.AA11482@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
	[stuff about Univ of Waterloo deleted.]
Could you please move this off of comp.sys.amiga, for this has nothing to do
with this newsgroup.  Thanks.

OK, guys. This is an "amiga-specific" group, not the University of Waterloo
bulletin board.  We are interested in Amiga stuff not what's life at UW
or whether you have to use Pascal at UW, etc..

How about using e-mail for UW related concerns?  Thank you very much.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland