[comp.sys.amiga] Anyone at psygnosis....

simmons@cs.odu.edu (Gregory S. Simmons) (06/30/89)

Anyone at psygnosis that might see this......

YOU ARE SCUM......

I will not buy, that right I buy my programs, anymore of your programs.

If anyone at psygnosis sees this then e-mail me I have some MAJOR gripes
with you.  Otherwise I don't want to get into specifics or repeat any of
the names and curses I've used on you while trying to boot my Blood Money
program.

Right now in my the attitude from Psygnosis is as scummy as that of IBM execs.

pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (07/01/89)

Gregory Simmons writes a rather scathing message about Psygnosis.  I too
just wanted to say that I won't buy another Psygnosis game.  With the
exception of "Ballistix" (and even that only in two player mode), every
Psygnosis game I either bought or demoed has had great sound, great graphics
.... and little or no playability.  If these guys ever got their act to-
gather and acutally wrote a game that played as well as they looked, they'd
make a fourtune.

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (07/01/89)

In article <18831@louie.udel.EDU>
pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) writes:
>Gregory Simmons writes a rather scathing message about Psygnosis.  I too
>just wanted to say that I won't buy another Psygnosis game.  With the
 [stuff deleted]

Actually, there's one game of theirs (under the Psyclapse affiliate label)
which I really like:  Menace.  It's a very good shoot-'em-up, with only
a few problems:  you can't pick a level to start on, and level 6 is
incredibly difficult (I *still* haven't conquered it!).  The soundtrack
and graphics are superb.  Although it's copy-protected :-( one may
back it up with NIB 1.0, and the non-standard bootblock actually boots
faster and doesn't make evil gronking noises.

I admit that I tried it out for quite a while at my (then) local dealer
(shameless plug:  The Memory Location, Wellesley, MA) before buying it,
as I didn't want to pick up something as bad as Barbarian.  (Barbarian
was sort of cool-looking, but the movements were too jerky and the game
lacked necessary save/restore features.)  Also, I've been very wary
of Psygnosis products, as they *are* copy protected, and they sometimes
*do* have playability problems such as Ray mentioned.

So although I won't say I won't buy another Psygnosis game, they're going
to have to be *very* good before they get my money again.  (Another
Menace-type thing would probably do the trick :-)

                         -- John Lockhart  (now in sunny California)
               jwl@feanor.stanford.edu  BIX: jlockhart

pelletier@grove.UUCP (Brian Pelletier) (07/04/89)

pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff) writes:

>Gregory Simmons writes a rather scathing message about Psygnosis.  I too
>just wanted to say that I won't buy another Psygnosis game.  With the
>exception of "Ballistix" (and even that only in two player mode), every
>Psygnosis game I either bought or demoed has had great sound, great graphics
>.... and little or no playability.  If these guys ever got their act to-
>gather and acutally wrote a game that played as well as they looked, they'd
>make a fourtune.

I strongly disagree!  Although the first Psygnosis games (Barbarian comes to
mind) were terribly slow and jerky, their new titles are much improved in both
gameplay *and* performance.  In fact, Blood Money is just about the best pure
arcade shoot-em-up I've seen on the Amiga to date.  No playability?  Geez, get
a new joystick or something..... this game has kept me interested for hours on
end.  I also think Baal and the aforementioned Ballistix are superior efforts.

I believe the original thread was more concerned with the copy protection of
Psygnosis games than the gameplay.  The games *are* heavily protected, and it
seems possible that some systems might have problems loading these games.  I've
had no such problems, however...
                                 -Brian

| Brian Pelletier                                                           |
| PLINK: Tack                Disclaimer: All views expressed are my own!    |
| decvax!ubbs-nh!grove!pelletier     -or-    pelletier@grove.UUCP           |

In article <0381.AA0381@grove> pelletier@grove.UUCP (Brian Pelletier) writes:
>pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff) writes:
>I believe the original thread was more concerned with the copy protection of
>Psygnosis games than the gameplay.  The games *are* heavily protected, and it
>seems possible that some systems might have problems loading these games.

Ever since I put a 68010 in my amiga I cannot run some of the Psygnosis games
(i.e. Barbarian, and Terrapods). and because of the STOOPID copy protections,
you have to boot from the game disk, it takes over the Amiga, and you can't use
something like Decigel to fix the 68010 problem.

Sux big time. Drop the copy protection. Use the 'lookup-the-word-in-the-manual'
method if you have to protect the program. A lot of us would like to install
games on hard disk and also multi-task ( so don't take over the machine!!!!)

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MARCUS@STOAT.PCL.AC.UK (07/07/89)

>>Gregory Simmons writes a rather scathing message about Psygnosis.  I too
>>just wanted to say that I won't buy another Psygnosis game.  With the
>>exception of "Ballistix" (and even that only in two player mode), every
>>Psygnosis game I either bought or demoed has had great sound, great graphics
>>.... and little or no playability.  If these guys ever got their act to-
>>gather and acutally wrote a game that played as well as they looked, they'd
>>make a fourtune.

>I strongly disagree!  Although the first Psygnosis games (Barbarian comes to
>mind) were terribly slow and jerky, their new titles are much improved in both
>gameplay *and* performance.  In fact, Blood Money is just about the best pure
>arcade shoot-em-up I've seen on the Amiga to date.  No playability?  Geez, get
>a new joystick or something..... this game has kept me interested for hours on
>end.  I also think Baal and the aforementioned Ballistix are superior efforts.

Me too! Menace (on their Psyclapse lable) was a damn good shoot-em-up too
AND you can start again at the level you just got zapped on (someone made
the complaint that you *couldn't* do this in an earlier posting - bizzare!).
This feature meant that I finished it in two days however although that
may be better than Xenon which I've had since last year and still can't
get past sector 1 part 2!! (damn stupid control system!).

If you want to know just *how* good Blood Money is I submitted a playable
demo to the amiga-s archives some time ago. You get to play the first level,
nothing added, nothing taken away! Two player mode, yo yo get FUNKY!!!!
See if you don't have hysterics when you playing partner gets confused at
the joystick reversal pylon!

If I can complete this demo I will be down the shops toute suite for the
full thing - a marketing departments dream ;-)

                                                        - m a r c u s -

                        marcus@uk.ac.pcl.stoat - JANET
                 marcus%stoat.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

           You have put a spell on me! Your magic touch is ECSTACY!

pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (07/07/89)

Marcus@uk.ac.pcl.stoat writes:

> If you want to know just *how* good Blood Money is I submitted a playable
> demo to the amiga-s archives some time ago. You get to play the first level,
> nothing added, nothing taken away! Two player mode, yo yo get FUNKY!!!!
> See if you don't have hysterics when you playing partner gets confused at
> the joystick reversal pylon!

I've played it, and I still say it`s your typical no-brains shoot-em-up (which
Psygnosis has produced 5 million variations of), which has great graphics,
great sound, and is just about impossible to play for more than 5 minutes.
In fairness, MENACE has been mentioned by several people; that is the one
game so far I haven't tried- perhaps it is as good as Ballistix.

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) (07/10/89)

In reference to several articles about the lack of playability of psygnosis
games ...

I have found one good one - Obliterator.

This is a GREAT game. Sure, the response from the controls is not speedy -
but there is a rhythm to controlling the hero, and once you get the hang
of it, it's a lot of fun. I have to admit, i put this game away after i got
frustrated with the response time. i would end up storing a bunch of mouse
clicks, and then they'd all come at once - or so it seemed.   But that was
before i got the rhythm down.  The beauty of this game is that you have to
master all of the hero's abilities : jumping, shooting, defensive actions; and
you have to make a map.  you can't just blast away at everything and expect
to win.  And did i mention that you _can_ win. There is an end to this game.
I like it. Buy it. You can even back it up with Nib.
(Plus it's an old game so it's pretty cheap.)

Rick Forrest

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (07/10/89)

In article <4690@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) writes:
>before i got the rhythm down.  The beauty of this game is that you have to
>master all of the hero's abilities : jumping, shooting, defensive actions; and
>you have to make a map.  you can't just blast away at everything and expect
>to win.  And did i mention that you _can_ win. There is an end to this game.

	Actually, I like the sound and the gameplay as well, but like a lot of
games, I hate making maps.  Has anyone out there made a map of the ship that I
could get?

Russell

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/13/89)

In article <18831@louie.udel.EDU> pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) writes:
>Gregory Simmons writes a rather scathing message about Psygnosis.  I too
>just wanted to say that I won't buy another Psygnosis game.  With the
>exception of "Ballistix" (and even that only in two player mode), every
>Psygnosis game I either bought or demoed has had great sound, great graphics
>.... and little or no playability.  If these guys ever got their act to-
>gather and acutally wrote a game that played as well as they looked, they'd
>make a fourtune.

I wouldn't rule Ballistix out.  Even though the game is nifty, it
is riddled with bugs.  What can you say to a game that scores
a win without the ball going in the goal?

                                     - Bear