[comp.sys.amiga] Source debuggers and watchpoints

EVERHART%ARISIA.decnet@crdgw1.ge.com (07/12/89)

Some time back on PDP11 systems (running RSX), I did a symbolic debugger
that used the single-step-and-check-variable trick to do watchpoints.
I discovered that 9 times out of 10 the place that trashed a variable
was 5 or 6 levels down in a calling sequence, so knowing where the
problem occurred was not as useful as it might be.
   A partial solution was to add a circular buffer in the debugger
in which I saved the PCs of each instruction, so that I could effectively
back up by the buffer length and see where the offending call had come
from. I suspect this would be useful in Amiga also and am wondering if
anyone can comment on whether anything like this is in either of the
Lattice or Manx source debuggers? (Incidentally, DDT22 is public domain
code and the above companies are welcome to steal design features from
it if they like :-) at any time.)
   On another matter, I've packed the sources for TECOC into a ZOO file
which WILL fit on one Amiga floppy. It implements basically all of TECO
(though the ^W command which paints the current text buffer on the screen
is excluded as I stated in my earlier posting...sorry 'bout the typo).
Machine readable TECO manual is NOT in the ZOO currently.
   People seriously interested in trying to port same to Amiga should
contact me via email; I can put the ZOO on a diskette for them if they
mail it to me. However I lack facilities and time to provide this for
general collectors; please email ONLY if you intend to work on the code.
Otherwise go to the DECUS library & get it on tape please.
Glenn Everhart
everhart%Arisia.decnet@crd.ge.com
everhart@Arisia.ge.com

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (07/13/89)

In article <19491@louie.udel.EDU> EVERHART%ARISIA.decnet@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>   A partial solution was to add a circular buffer in the debugger
>in which I saved the PCs of each instruction, so that I could effectively
>back up by the buffer length and see where the offending call had come
>from. I suspect this would be useful in Amiga also and am wondering if
>anyone can comment on whether anything like this is in either of the
>Lattice or Manx source debuggers?

I would imagine this could be done using ARexx and Lattice's CodeProbe.
It may not be very fast (I have not tried it yet, so I don't know),
but I would think it would not be hard to implement. -- Darren