[comp.sys.amiga] Background Tasks.

cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) (07/12/89)

Although it may have been discussed before...

How do you start a program that runs itself in background but
doesn't free the CLI?

I've tried:
	runback  --  crashes
	run      --  crashes
	>null: <null: -- doesn't work (device is mounted)
	>nil: <nil:   -- doesn't work...

So, will someone please tell me the secret?
--
cknight@polyslo.calpoly.edu                                  ---King Claudius---

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/14/89)

In article <12450@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) writes:

>Although it may have been discussed before...
>
>How do you start a program that runs itself in background but
>doesn't free the CLI?
>
>I've tried:
>	runback  --  crashes
>	run      --  crashes
>	>null: <null: -- doesn't work (device is mounted)
>	>nil: <nil:   -- doesn't work...
>
>So, will someone please tell me the secret?

Sounds like you have a bum copy of runback.  Or maybe you're
version is out of date with 1.3?

                                                 - Bear

cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) (07/14/89)

In article <2787@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>In article <12450@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) writes:
>>
>>I've tried:
>>	runback  --  crashes
>
>Sounds like you have a bum copy of runback.  Or maybe you're
>version is out of date with 1.3?
>
>                                                 - Bear

I don' think so.  The one I've got was the latest posted to comp.binaries.amiga.
(The one that mounts the null: device automatically).

Here's someone else's suggestion...I haven't given it a try but I think it
may work for those interested...

-> From: Josh Rovero <PROVERO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
-> Subject: Re: Background Tasks.
-> To: cknight@polyslo.calpoly.edu
->
->try the ARP ARUN command, such as:
->
->     ARUN MachII NOIO    [the NOIO is important for background pgms]
--
cknight@polyslo.calpoly.edu                                  ---King Claudius---