[comp.sys.amiga] Seagate ST296N

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (07/10/89)

What kind of experiences have people had with this drive?  I've seen some posts
 about having to change the interleave but none about reliablilty.  A friend of
 mine has found a real good deal on this drive but he is hesitent becuase of
all the horror stories about Seagate drives in general.  Is this a 'good'
Seagate or a 'bad' one?

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |
know a lot about the machine" -- Jerry Pournelle   |  `--------'         !    |
  ================================================||  .--------.         !    |
"I did notice that at my party people stood in     |  | Edwards|_________+    |
 line to play with the Amiga"-- Jerry Pournelle    | /`--------'             |
                           BYTE, October '88       \__________________________/

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (07/11/89)

In article <19389@louie.udel.EDU>, C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
> What kind of experiences have people had with this drive?  I've seen some posts
>  about having to change the interleave but none about reliablilty.  A friend of
>  mine has found a real good deal on this drive but he is hesitent becuase of
> all the horror stories about Seagate drives in general.  Is this a 'good'
> Seagate or a 'bad' one?

Usually I'd send something like this via email, but to counter some of the
recent Seagate bashing, here's an unbiased review.

I've had a ST296N for almost a year now with nary a problem.
It runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  It only gets power cycled
an average of about 2 times a month.

It's noisier than a Quantum, but at least it keeps you from hearing
the jet engine fan in the 2000 right?  Well, actually the drive has
a much higher pitched whine so you can still hear both.  For people
doing a lot of sound stuff or who really care about white noise, a
quieter drive could probably be found.

It takes up a 5 1/2 " bay & leaves a 3 1/4 " one free.

I haven't heard complaints about this particular model (except
for lack of speed when the interleave was wrong).  I read
somewhere that the 296 uses sputtered rather than plated media
and that's one reason it doesn't have some of the problems of
certain other Seagate models. (No, I'm not going to open it up
& check :-)

> Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
> Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \

Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor
# It may be true that no man is an island,
# but I make a darn good peninsula.

news@crash.cts.com (Usenet News) (07/14/89)

> I've had a ST296N for almost a year now with nary a problem.
> It runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  It only gets power cycled
> an average of about 2 times a month.
>
> hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

Obviously the reasons this person you quoted hasn't had a problem is because
he has niether run his drive past the 1 year period before most units fail and
he has also kept the darn thing running 24 hours a day!  As everyone so
graciously states in thier "Seagate bashing", the drive fails due to normal
on/off transitions.  By leaving the drive on all the time, the on/off
transition isn't nearly as deadly.   And since he hasn't hit the 1 year
warranty wall yet, his drive is sure not to exhibit any problems.

I wonder what this mystery reviewer would have to say now?

--Bob

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D