[comp.sys.amiga] Supra E-mail address needed

pirelli@elma.epfl.ch (06/26/89)

From:   ELMA::PIRELLI      25-JUN-1989 21:40
To:     PIRELLI
Subj:   amiga letter

Hello Netters !

A friend of mine has a '1000 and a Supra HD. He'd like to know if he can
autoboot off of it. Since we can get info here in Switzerland, we'd like
to contact Supra directly in the States. If you guys knew the long distance
phone rate we must pay here for a transatlantic call, you'd understand
immediately why I'm asking for Supra E-Mail Address (if they have one).

Thanks for any info !

                John

pirelli@elma.epfl.ch     or pirelli%elma.epfl.ch@clsepf51.bitnet

void where prohibited; int where not specified

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/07/89)

In article <890625214233.20e04599@SIC.Epfl.CH> pirelli@elma.epfl.ch writes:

>A friend of mine has a '1000 and a Supra HD. He'd like to know if he can
>autoboot off of it. Since we can get info here in Switzerland, we'd like
>to contact Supra directly in the States. If you guys knew the long distance
>phone rate we must pay here for a transatlantic call, you'd understand
>immediately why I'm asking for Supra E-Mail Address (if they have one).

I've had an Amiga 1000 and a Supra 20 meg for about a year and a half
now and aside from an outdated boot disk, it's pretty good.  Although
I've had major problems formatting the sucker.  Supra instructed
me to remove all of my peripheral devices while formatting.  Bad news.
Supra does not have autobooting for the 1000 planned.  There are
two possible solutions.  1) You could install a 1.3 Kickstart Eliminator
and leave your bootbench disk in df0: or, 2) You can buy a 2000 expansion
gizmo and buy a 2000 SCSI card w/ autobooting.  I'm currently using 1)
because I don't want to shell out the money for an expander when I
fully intend to buy a 2500.

                                             - Bear

jvmiller@plato.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) (07/07/89)

I recently called Supra to find out attaching a second drive to the
back of my current 20meg for my amiga 1000.  During the discussion I
found out that they sell a second drive (30 meg) for the low, low
price of $699.  After much pestering, I got out of them I could any
external hard disk made for the Mac.  Apparently the SCSI connector
on the back of my drive fits the standard that Mac developed for a
DB-25 SCSI port.

Also during the discussion I found out that they have new software
that will increase transfer rates.  I am currently using 4.3 and now
their on Series II (or something like that).

Since I was having so much success squeezing information out of them
I asked about autobooting on the A1000.  They said that they have a couple
methods that they are researching and developing.  The word is that it
will a couple o months before they release anything.  I got the feeling
that it was going to require some hardware adaptations to either
the controller board and/or the Amiga 1000 itself.

Personally I am just looking forward to faster transfer rates and
more storage space.

Jimmy

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (07/07/89)

In article <2744@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>In article <890625214233.20e04599@SIC.Epfl.CH> pirelli@elma.epfl.ch writes:
>>A friend of mine has a '1000 and a Supra HD. He'd like to know if he can
>>autoboot off of it.
>
>Supra does not have autobooting for the 1000 planned.  There are
>two possible solutions.  1) You could install a 1.3 Kickstart Eliminator
>and leave your bootbench disk in df0: or, 2) You can buy a 2000 expansion
>gizmo and buy a 2000 SCSI card w/ autobooting.  I'm currently using 1)
>because I don't want to shell out the money for an expander when I
>fully intend to buy a 2500.

Ok, how about 3) buy an autobooting controller for the 1000.

I have a Supra controller and was using 1) quite happily.  Since then,
I have discovered that my Supra barfs when I put in my LUCAS board.
So, I bought a Comspec SA1000 controller.

Not only does this baby autoboot workbench, it autoboots kickstart!

When you format your drive, you can select it as autobooting and it will
reserve space for kickstart on your harddrive.  It will then copy
kickstart into it ... from ram, not from the floppy.

There is a switch on the controller, which selects/deselects autobooting.
With a striped down workbench ( I don't load all the junk I used to,
since I'm low on memory right now ), it 20 seconds to boot completely
from power up, including loading kickstart!

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!

--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/13/89)

>Ok, how about 3) buy an autobooting controller for the 1000.
>
>I have a Supra controller and was using 1) quite happily.  Since then,
>I have discovered that my Supra barfs when I put in my LUCAS board.
>So, I bought a Comspec SA1000 controller.
>
>Not only does this baby autoboot workbench, it autoboots kickstart!
>
>When you format your drive, you can select it as autobooting and it will
>reserve space for kickstart on your harddrive.  It will then copy
>kickstart into it ... from ram, not from the floppy.

Say, does that controller have an option to format without Kickstart?
I just invested money in the 1.3 eliminator, I'd hate to think it's
wasted.  Also, what did you pay for the controller?

                                     - Bear

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (07/14/89)

In article <2784@bucsb.UUCP> bear@bucsb.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>>Ok, how about 3) buy an autobooting controller for the 1000.
>>I bought a Comspec SA1000 controller.
>>Not only does this baby autoboot workbench, it autoboots kickstart!
>>
>Say, does that controller have an option to format without Kickstart?
>I just invested money in the 1.3 eliminator, I'd hate to think it's
>wasted.  Also, what did you pay for the controller?

Hmmmm ... I'm _pretty_ sure, but I never looked to close - that's a feature
I wanted!  Since it is selectable in the setup software, it makes sence that
you can format without kickstart.  I'll check.

I paid $400 Canadian.

It's pretty fast, too.  I've heard of speeds like 450k/second on a friends
CDC SCSI drive, which I'd be more than happy with!

--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =
= "There's nothing the matter with BR that a shot gun blast wouldn't fix" cge =
= "It's not my fault, fatboy!" - Felder, pilot of TL Student Driver On Board  =

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (07/16/89)

	I believe I have an address to get in touch with Supra...
Willie logs in every week or so at willieb@jacobs.cs.orst.edu.
If you want to get in touch faster than that, use the phone.

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey