[comp.sys.amiga] Making bootable disk for A-Max,

jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/13/89)

	I recieved my A-Max, ROMs, and Cutting Edge drive today.  I made
what should be bootable disks in the Cutting Edge drive but they won't boot
properly.  It gets to the happy face but then blanks out and repeats the
question mark, etc.  The "Welcome to Macintosh" message is NOT displayed.
It DOES boot fine with a "real" Mac disk; the disks I made are direct copies
of it.  These copies seem to be just fine otherwise.

	I also noticed that it doesn't seem to be executing some INITs --
Application Menu in particular.  It does seem to work just fine with the
Control Panel.

	One more thing:  is there any way to speed-up the mouse pointer?  I
have it set to fastest but it's slower than death.

	Any ideas?

Thanks,

	joe piazza

--- "Where's my other sock?"  A. Einstein

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260

UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza		GEnie: jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (07/16/89)

In article <7911@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> 	One more thing:  is there any way to speed-up the mouse pointer?  I
> have it set to fastest but it's slower than death.
>
> 	joe piazza

   The Control Panel Mouse control speeds up the mouse perfectly for me,
but its not saved, so you have to go to the Control Panel to reset
it every time you reboot. Its generally the first thing I do :)
   Kelton

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/17/89)

In article <7911@cs.Buffalo.EDU> jmpiazza (Joseph M. Piazza) [that's me] writes:

>	I recieved my A-Max, ROMs, and Cutting Edge drive today.  I made
>what should be bootable disks in the Cutting Edge drive but they won't boot
>properly.  It gets to the happy face but then blanks out and repeats the
>question mark, etc. ...
>
>	I also noticed that it doesn't seem to be executing some INITs ...
>
>	One more thing:  is there any way to speed-up the mouse pointer? ...

	Well, I was using System 6.0.1 at the time and everything is fine
now that I'm using 6.0.3.

	Overall, I'm very impressed with A-Max.  It's even seems to be
more Mac compatible than real Macs  :-)   Actually, I'm serious:  I've
used a Lisa/Mac XL, Mac+, and currently a Mac SE).  I conjecture that
the patches to the Mac OS traps many errors that would normally
completely bomb a Mac.

	A hint for other A-Max users:  if you get a program that hangs use
the "programmer switch" ( Shift-Esc ) which puts you in the
debugger/monitor.  Doing a "G 0" (go and execute address 0) will often take
you back to the MultiFinder.  I'm not sure about "mono"-Finder.

	My only major disappointment is that A-Max doesn't recognize our Esc
and Ctrl keys.  This should be relatively easy for a future upgrade since
there are a couple of third party keyboards for the Mac+.  Although if I
recall correctly there may be a slight problem for the control key since the
Mac ROMs never heard of such a thing whereas the Esc key can just be remapped.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.