[comp.sys.amiga] Inexpensive Image Digitizer

flournoy@leadsv.UUCP (David Flournoy) (06/24/89)

Hi.

     I have been thinking about a project for a inexpensive digitizer for
the amiga.  What I hope to do is put together a small CCD imager.  The
reason I am posting this is to see if ther is any interest in a kit for
under $100.  If there is enough interest I will try to get the thing
published in Amazing or Transactor, and make available circuit board,
parts, and some software.  Like the Lucas Project.

     Some specs:
     Resolution - 192H x 165V
                 8 bits of grey (color is too expensive)
     Interface - Serial Port

     It of course will not be a realtime digitizer or be as easy to use as
Digiview, but with some care it should be able to digitize overscan HAM images.
Of course I welcome any comments and suggestions.  I probably won't even have
a working prototype for a couple of months, but for now I am just seeing if
there is any interest in a CHEAP digitizer.

					David.

: Disclamer ( -- )
    ." Insert Standard Disclamer Here."
;

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (06/25/89)

In article <6824@leadsv.UUCP> flournoy@leadsv.UUCP (David Flournoy) writes:

>Hi.
>
>     I have been thinking about a project for a inexpensive digitizer for
>the amiga.  What I hope to do is put together a small CCD imager.  The
>reason I am posting this is to see if ther is any interest in a kit for
>under $100.  If there is enough interest I will try to get the thing
>published in Amazing or Transactor, and make available circuit board,
 [some info deleted]
>     Some specs:
>     Resolution - 192H x 165V
>                 8 bits of grey (color is too expensive)
>     Interface - Serial Port
>
>     It of course will not be a realtime digitizer or be as easy to use as
>Digiview, but with some care it should be able to digitize overscan HAM images.

David;

Sorry man, someone beat you to it.

Go to thy nearest store, check out "IMG Scan" by SunRize Industries, list $150.

It consists of a CCD sensor connected to a printer head via a fiber optic cable,
thereby turning an ordinary printer into a drum scanner.  Resolution, whatever
is the finest pixel rate on your printer.  It's slow, but works.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ----------------------|-------------------             |

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (06/27/89)

From article <6824@leadsv.UUCP>, by flournoy@leadsv.UUCP (David Flournoy):
>      I have been thinking about a project for a inexpensive digitizer for
> the amiga.  What I hope to do is put together a small CCD imager.  The
> reason I am posting this is to see if ther is any interest in a kit for
> under $100.  If there is enough interest I will try to get the thing
> published in Amazing or Transactor, and make available circuit board,
> parts, and some software.  Like the Lucas Project.
>
>      Some specs:
>      Resolution - 192H x 165V
>                  8 bits of grey (color is too expensive)
>      Interface - Serial Port
>
>      It of course will not be a realtime digitizer or be as easy to use as
> Digiview, but with some care it should be able to digitize overscan HAM images.
> Of course I welcome any comments and suggestions.  I probably won't even have
> a working prototype for a couple of months, but for now I am just seeing if
> there is any interest in a CHEAP digitizer.

     I would love to get my hands on a digitizer for under $100.  Given the
Amiga's outstanding graphics capabilities it's a real shame there isn't a
real cheap way to get images into the machine.

     I don't understand the point of digitizing HAM images with a
gray-scale device.  I guess you'd achieve color with a set of filters as
does DigiView.  Is that right?

     Even a monochrome only scanner (hand-held would be fine) would be
superior to a camera based digitizer if it offered real sharp images.  My
main complaint about DigiView is the images just aren't sharp enough.  It's
OK for digitizing photographs for reproduction in newsletters, but I want
something for digitizing line art.  I want it to look really crisp and
sharp, but I don't need color.  The kind of stuff I'm thinking about could
be colored with a paint program later.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (06/29/89)

In article <17101@gryphon.COM> jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:
>Go to thy nearest store, check out "IMG Scan" by SunRize Industries, list $150.

>It consists of a CCD sensor connected to a printer head via a fiber optic cable,
>thereby turning an ordinary printer into a drum scanner.  Resolution, whatever
>is the finest pixel rate on your printer.  It's slow, but works.

Anybody know if this would work on an HP Deskjet [plus]?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

hrlaser@sactoh0 (Harv R. Laser) (07/01/89)

In article <18606@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <17101@gryphon.COM> jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:
>>Go to thy nearest store, check out "IMG Scan" by SunRize Industries, list $150.
>
>>It consists of a CCD sensor connected to a printer head via a fiber optic cable,
>>thereby turning an ordinary printer into a drum scanner.  Resolution, whatever
>>is the finest pixel rate on your printer.  It's slow, but works.
>
>Anybody know if this would work on an HP Deskjet [plus]?

Does the HP Deskjet plus have "an adjustable vertical line spacing
and a print head which moves accross the carriage"? These are the
two requirements of an IMG Scan installation according to SunRize's
literature.

I saw the IMG Scan running/working at the recent SF Amiga Festival
in SunRize's booth. They had it installed in a 9-pin dot matrix
printer, I believe it was some model of Star printer. The sensor
was affixed to the printer's ribbon cartridge with some kind of
aluminum TAPE. There was what looked like an 8x10 glossy picture of
a portrait of a girl in the printer where the paper would normally
feed and the IMG Scan was moving back and forth across the picture,
rather slowly, one line at a time and the image was being fed to an
Amiga and displayed on its monitor. The quality was quite good but
as John said the process is slow since your printer is kicked into
"graphics mode" during scanning.

As far as the installtion, I wondered and asked about how precise
an installation could be obtained by taping the unit to the ribbon
cartridge or print head. The girl working the booth held up a small
black metal clip and said "on some printers it can be installed
with these too." I told her I had an Epson JX-80 (in which the
print head moves but the ribbon cartridge doesn't since it's a
full-width cart and that the print head had large heat sink blades
surrounding it). She didn't know if it would install on a JX-80,
which is, afterall, a rather common printer.

So if the DeskJet has a print head which shuttles back and forth
and you have access to it to tape or clip the IMG Scan to it and
leave it that way during printer operation then it would work. If
not, probably not. From what I remember of the DeskJet's case and
configuration it *seems* unlikely to me that it'd work.

--
| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| Plink: CBM*HARV             |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (07/03/89)

>>It consists of a CCD sensor connected to a printer head via a fiber optic
>>cable,
>>thereby turning an ordinary printer into a drum scanner.  Resolution,
>>whatever
>>is the finest pixel rate on your printer.  It's slow, but works.
>
>Anybody know if this would work on an HP Deskjet [plus]?

Nope, it won't , the HP deskjet has an internal printhead that is a INK jet
style, it does not MOVE in the normal fashion. I don't think it will work....

Something is basically wrong with anyone who uses a disclaimer when they talk

             "My thoughts claim no responsibility for my body"
                          tron1@tronsbox.UUCP
                      Sysop, the Penthouse ]I[ BBS
                           (201)759-8450
                           (201)759-8568

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/07/89)

In article <6824@leadsv.UUCP> flournoy@leadsv.UUCP (David Flournoy) writes:

>     I have been thinking about a project for a inexpensive digitizer for
>the amiga.  What I hope to do is put together a small CCD imager.  The
>reason I am posting this is to see if ther is any interest in a kit for
>under $100.  If there is enough interest I will try to get the thing
>published in Amazing or Transactor, and make available circuit board,
>parts, and some software.  Like the Lucas Project.

Sure I'll buy one.  It would be interesting just as a hardware
hack to build.  I'd like to see it connected to the expansion
port to see how to interface to it properly.

                                   Bear

Hmmm, this talk about a "scanner" that clips/tapes onto a printer's head has
some possibilities that seem to beg exploration.

For example:

There is an optical sight (using fiber optics) mfd. by H-P that replaces the
pen in an H-P plotter.  It is used in conjunction with the manual controls on
the keypad of an H-P plotter to send digitizing coordinates into one's computer
over the serial port.  The H-P plotters have a resolution < .001".

Just THINK of the potential accuracy of scanning using an H-P plotter equipped
with such such a 'read' head!  One may have to "glue" odd-sized material (using
the spray non-permanent adhesive that's akin to the material used on Post-Its
(tm) by 3M) to a standard-size sheet used as a "carrier", but ...

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]