[comp.sys.amiga] Using the Amiga mouse for the XT or AT bridgeboard?

owenc@hpindwa.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) (07/11/89)

I am thinking about buying a bridgeboard for my Amiga.  I recalled hearing
something on the net a while back about mouse support on the IBM side.
Is it truth that bridgeboard can actually use the Amiga mouse?  Is it
supported by Commodore or a hack?  Have anybody had any experience with it?
Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks

Owen

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (07/12/89)

In article <36580003@hpindwa.HP.COM> owenc@hpindwa.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:
$I am thinking about buying a bridgeboard for my Amiga.  I recalled hearing
$something on the net a while back about mouse support on the IBM side.
$Is it truth that bridgeboard can actually use the Amiga mouse?

This is a Commodore supplied utility (AMouse), and it works really well.  I
have used it with DPaint on the PC side (just for testing folks, of course
I'd use DPaint on the Amiga side for work!) and with Microsoft Windows.

The software allows one mouse to control EITHER the Amiga pointer or
the DOS pointer (switchable through a key sequence).  It also allows you
to use two mice (one for each).

	Paul.

In article <7275@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
>In article <36580003@hpindwa.HP.COM> owenc@hpindwa.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:
>$I am thinking about buying a bridgeboard for my Amiga.  I recalled hearing
>$something on the net a while back about mouse support on the IBM side.
>$Is it truth that bridgeboard can actually use the Amiga mouse?
>
>This is a Commodore supplied utility (AMouse), and it works really well.

True, but as far as I know AMouse is supplied with the AT BridgeCard (2286?)
and not with the XT BridgeCard (2288?) as part of Rel 2.0 of the Bridge
Software.  I don't think the Bridge software is currently sold alone. So,
how does a 'older' Bridgecard user get hold of the new software, if at all
possible?  Inquiring minds want to know :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (07/13/89)

In article <18441@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
$In article <7275@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
$>This is a Commodore supplied utility (AMouse), and it works really well.
$True, but as far as I know AMouse is supplied with the AT BridgeCard (2286?)
$and not with the XT BridgeCard (2288?) as part of Rel 2.0 of the Bridge
$Software.  I don't think the Bridge software is currently sold alone. So,
$how does a 'older' Bridgecard user get hold of the new software, if at all
$possible?  Inquiring minds want to know :-)

Good point, Marco.  We have been telling customers and dealers that they
can go ahead and have the newer software copied onto their older disks.
The newer A2286 software works very well on the A2088.  This is only
an interim solution however (and of course, a free one) until we hopefully
release a Bridgeboard Enhancer kit, which for a minimal cost (a la regular
Workbench Enhancer kits) will provide the latest software and manual.

The only problem with getting the new software copied onto older
disks is that there are SOME differences in the software as far as
installation, and of course the older documentation won't say anything
about newer features, such as AMouse for example.

I recommend that EVERYONE with older Bridgeboard software get upgraded.
Naturally, if the dealer doesn't have an AT Bridgeboard in stock, he or
she may not have the latest software, so please understand this.

	Paul.

campbell@cbmvax.UUCP (John Campbell - Marketing) (07/13/89)

Janus 2.0, for use with the A2088/A2286/Sidecar products is expected to be
available for shipment late in August, so dealers should have it in the
beginning of September.  It will be an inexpensive standalone product
following a philosophy similiar to the Enhancer 1.3 package.

Features include FFS support, Microsoft mouse emulation, the ability to
write applications that take advantage of both the PC's and the Amiga's
displays and resources, and the ability to set the PC's time/date from
the Amiga's clock/calendar.

I hope this sheds some light on the questions being asked.

John

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/14/89)

In Message <36580003@hpindwa.HP.COM>, owenc@hpindwa.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:

>I am thinking about buying a bridgeboard for my Amiga.  I recalled hearing
>something on the net a while back about mouse support on the IBM side.
>Is it truth that bridgeboard can actually use the Amiga mouse?  Is it
>supported by Commodore or a hack?  Have anybody had any experience with it?
>Any comment is appreciated.

 It was a hack that became supported by Commodore when it was adopted into
 Janus V2.0 - its called "Amouse".

 I use it with Lattice V3.41 and CodeProbe (the MS-DOS version ;-). No bugs
 or complaints! It works like a charm and I love it.

 As for its availablity, currently it is supplied with Janus 2.0 -only-. And
 Janus 2.0 is supplied with the AT BridgeBoard -only-. So unless your buying
 an AT board its not really available. Im not sure what CBM's plans are for
 making available. I hope they do make it available though because it works
 on not only both BridgeBoards but also with the SideCar ;-)

 Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (07/17/89)

  Thanks for the information about the Janus 2.0's new mouse utility.  I have
the 8088 bridgecard that I bought a year ago and, of course, has Janus 1.0
(1.1?).  How do I upgrade to the Janus 2.0 and apporx. how much will it cost.
Thanks Paul!