[comp.sys.amiga] Spirit HDA-506

ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) (07/15/89)

I just bought a Spirit HDA-506 adaptor for my A1000 and am having some
trouble getting it to work.  Maybe Someone out there has an idea as to
what my problem is.  In case you dont know, its a adaptor that lets you
hook up standard IBM ST-506 drives to your amiga 1000.

I got it all hooked up ok, did a low level format with no errors.  then
when I ran the verify prg, it comes up with about 14 errors.  The docs say
this is normal and that the supplied prg 'badmap' will map it out.  Now
comes the problem, I mount it the way they tell me to and do an amigaDos
format, but the format fails everytime,...  The docs then say if the
format fails that I should do a Quick format so I did and it spins for a
second or 2 then says initializing and quits, is it really that quick? I
then run the badmap program but it errors saying 'Root block not valid'.

I'm using a Miniscribe 8438 hard drive with a Western Digital controller.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

                                              ____
                                              |_
                                              |  erg

US Mail: P.O. Box 2104, La Mesa CA,  92044
Voice: (619) 670-3161  Modem: (619) 670-1095
ARPA: crash!pnet01!ferg@nosc.mil              INET: ferg@pnet01.cts.com

                     -=[  In Stereo Where Available  ]=-

gay_d%elma.epfl.ch@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Gay) (07/18/89)

In article <4625@crash.cts.com>, ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) writes:
>I just bought a Spirit HDA-506 adaptor for my A1000 and am having some
>trouble getting it to work.  Maybe Someone out there has an idea as to
>what my problem is.  In case you dont know, its a adaptor that lets you
>hook up standard IBM ST-506 drives to your amiga 1000.

I have the same setup, and had similar problems ...

>I got it all hooked up ok, did a low level format with no errors.  then
>when I ran the verify prg, it comes up with about 14 errors.

Me too.

>The docs say
>this is normal and that the supplied prg 'badmap' will map it out.  Now
>comes the problem, I mount it the way they tell me to and do an amigaDos
>format, but the format fails everytime,...

Yes, format will stop(fail) as soon as it comes accross any bad blocks. As for
badmap (if it's the same program as MapBAD that came with the HDA-506 last
year), it will only map bad blocks out till next time your disk gets
revalidated !

>The docs then say if the
>format fails that I should do a Quick format so I did and it spins for a
>second or 2 then says initializing and quits, is it really that quick?

Yes, it should simply write out a root block, a bitmap and the boot sectors.

>I then run the badmap program but it errors saying 'Root block not valid'.

It would appear that format quick failed. You should be able to do a
dir dh0:, if it says 'not a dos disk', something is wrong.

>I'm using a Miniscribe 8438 hard drive with a Western Digital controller.
>
>Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

After having similar problems, and getting very annoyed with MapBAD, I wrote
a set of programs that map out bad blocks for you (You lose one cylinder on
your disk, to replace the bad blocks). I've been using them for 6-7 months
now, without any problems. If anybody is interested in them, send me mail.
They should be useful for any hard disk interface which doesn't provide
bad block mapping (seems rather unforgivable, but ...).

>                                              ____
>                                              |_
>                                              |  erg
>
>US Mail: P.O. Box 2104, La Mesa CA,  92044
>Voice: (619) 670-3161  Modem: (619) 670-1095
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!ferg@nosc.mil              INET: ferg@pnet01.cts.com
>
>                     -=[  In Stereo Where Available  ]=-

P.S. Anybody have a 'CTRL-lock' utility ? I've just broken a wrist, and it's
rather far from CTRL to P (or ]) ! Surely somebody else must have had this
problem before :-)

David Gay
  "(p.suiv :=: q.prec.suiv).prec :=: q.prec"
  You don't want to know about this language !

GAY_D@ELMA.EPFL.CH, or GAY_D%ELMA.EPFL.CH@CLSEPF51.bitnet