[comp.sys.amiga] F/A 18 on hard drive?

rob@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Robert Oyung) (07/12/89)

    I've just bought an Amiga 2500 and tried to install F/A 18 Interceptor
on the hard drive.  The files copy fine from the original but the program
looks at df0: for some files.  How can I make F/A 18 live happily on the
hard drive?  I've tried :  assign df0: work:f-18  but it wouldn't allow
redefining df0:

    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Rob

Robert Oyung
HP Corporate Offices
rob@hpiosa.corp.hp.com

stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (07/13/89)

I moved F/A-18 to hard disk by filtering the executable.  I wrote a program
in C that substituted "F18:" for all occurances of "DF0:".  Then I used an
"assign F18: sys:mydir" to direct the references to the hard disk.  If you
are willing to go to that effort the game works fine from a hard disk.

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

jbh@trsvax.UUCP (07/13/89)

To make F18 Interceptor run on a hard drive, you must look for the string
"df0:" within the program, and change it to a logical drive string.
I changed mine to F18:, then ASSIGNed F18: to the appropriate pathname
( FAST1:games/f18 in my case ). Use FILEZAP or some other utility that
will let you dump ASCII contents and make changes.
P.S. Do this on a BACKUP copy of the program ( obviously! ). Good luck
shooting down that cruise missle.
Brad

garyo@prometheus.think.com (Gary Oberbrunner) (07/15/89)

(Mike Stroyan wrote a C program to change DF0: to F18:...)

I did the same thing with NewZap.  Worked great, took about 5 minutes.

					- Gary Oberbrunner
					garyo@think.com
--
					As always,

					Gary O

Remember,		      Truth is not beauty;	    Gary  Oberbrunner
Information is not knowledge; Beauty is not love;  {ames,harvard}!think!garyo
Knowledge is not wisdom;      Love is not music;	      garyo@think.com
Wisdom is not truth;	      Music is the best. - FZ	  (617) 876-1111 x265

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (07/16/89)

In article <271800002@trsvax> jbh@trsvax.UUCP writes:
}
}To make F18 Interceptor run on a hard drive, you must look for the string
}"df0:" within the program, and change it to a logical drive string.
}P.S. Do this on a BACKUP copy of the program ( obviously! ).

Don't bother... just do it on the copy you made on your hard disk.
Note that it is a bit of a waste to copy the entire floppy onto your harddisk.
All you need sa FA-18 and its .info, and the pix and text subdirectories.

I've not yet checked out how the history-log stuff works.  It is clearly driven
by the 'context' file, and so you could probably fairly easily have multiple
folks's flight logs by just having "context.me" and "context.you" in the
directory and RENAMEing the proper one to be just "context" before you start
the program.

Anyone know of a way to get OUT of Interceptor without ctrl-A-A'ing the whole
system?

  /Bernie\

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (07/18/89)

In article <42791@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I've not yet checked out how the history-log stuff works.  It is clearly driven
>by the 'context' file, and so you could probably fairly easily have multiple
>folks's flight logs by just having "context.me" and "context.you" in the
>directory and RENAMEing the proper one to be just "context" before you start
>the program.
>  /Bernie\

	I have a small program that I wrote for use with F-18, which extacts
the pilots name from the config file and then 'backs up' that pilot to a
sub-directory called pilots. It is written in Lattice C, and is very small
(ie simple). I have no copy of uuencode, but I could post the source to this
newsgroup.

	Oh and by the way my program does not modify F18 in any way, it mearly
examines the config file and backs it up, then allows the user to specify what
pilot to 'bring up to the flight deck' so to speak.

				Stephen Orr

{ The opinions expressed herin ARE those of my employer...
		I'm self employed !		- Stephen Orr	}