[comp.sys.amiga] Maxiplan Plus 1.9 upgrades?

deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) (07/11/89)

I read in Antic  that Maxiplan plus 1.9 has recently
been upgraded and is now called PLAN/IT.  It is now
distributed by B.E.S.T. instead of Oxxi.  Has anyone
heard of an upgrade offer to existing Maxiplan Plus
owners?
Also, does this new PLAN/IT allow you to format the
cells in scientific notation?  Maxiplan Plus is great,
BUT it's inability to use scientific notation makes it
utterly and completely worthless for scientific applications.
I for one will probably not bother to upgrade if they
neglected to put scientific notation on the new version.

------------------------
David Hurtubise
Math Department
University of Notre Dame
deh@ndmath.math.nd.edu

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (07/11/89)

In article <1480@ndmath.UUCP> deh@ndmath.UUCP (David Hurtubise) writes:

>I read in Antic  that Maxiplan plus 1.9 has recently
>been upgraded and is now called PLAN/IT.  It is now
>distributed by B.E.S.T. instead of Oxxi.  Has anyone
>heard of an upgrade offer to existing Maxiplan Plus
>owners?

Yes, B.E.S.T. is upgrading my mother's copy now. They asked for $50
(American), the cover off the old manual and her original disks. They
claim to have fixed 'ALL' of the bugs in MaxiPlan and added a few new
enhancements. I recently had the opportunity to play with the new program
and way pleased with the results. Here are some improvements:

	1) DataView (C) (TM) to allow data base entries in a DBase format
	2) Print Preview
	3) Program now creates proper tools no matter where on a
	   hard drive wou install it!
	4) Better handling of automatic scientific notation (still
	   can't force it though!)
	5) Something called Gant (sp?) charts which look like schedualing
	   (path analysis) things.
	6) Font's on graphs through 'font cells' and the ability to add
	   text to a graph in any font, any where.
	7) Something called minimal re-calc where the program does a recalc
	   only on the cells which need it! (Read faster spreadsheets).
	8) Directly read or write Lotus(C)  Ver 2.0 spreadsheets from the
	   main menu.

There may be more, I'm not sure!

Note, I am in no way connected to B.E.S.T. whoever they are, but am hoping
to soon get a chance to play with the new upgrade, it looks like a good
step forward.

					- Stephen

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (07/12/89)

Did a little more research...

	B.E.S.T. is an oregon based company (watch out for time differences)
and there phone number (as published on their software, and validated by use)
is
(502) - 685 - 6655

Happy Upgrading...

					Stephen Orr

gaspar@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Al Gaspar) (07/12/89)

Does anyone know how to contact B.E.S.T. concerning the upgrade from
MaxiPlan to PLAN/IT?  I have been trying unsuccessfully since February
to get more information about what would happen to owners of Maxiplan
now that Oxxi has dropped it.  Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@st-louis-emh2.army.mil>
(used to be <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>)

bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) (07/12/89)

In article <15046@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) writes:
>Did a little more research...
>
>	B.E.S.T. is an oregon based company (watch out for time differences)
>and there phone number (as published on their software, and validated by use)
>is
>(502) - 685 - 6655
>
>Happy Upgrading...
>
>					Stephen Orr

Just a note about B.E.S.T. for those who are not familiar with them.  I
did some work with them a few years back.  They started by making
business/accounting software for the C64, and they are STICKLERS for
quality.  If you find a bug (if there are any in a released program!),
they WILL fix it.  I don't know what upgrade policies are, and I don't
have too much good to say for their marketing (its like Commodore, there
is none), but the products are good enough to keep them in business
without much advertising.  Nothing but praise for the quality.  Let's
hope they keep it up with MaxiPlan.

| Bob Richardson     (or, for you UNIX buffs: bob@jacobs.cs.orst.edu) |
| 218 NW 21st #2           Corvallis, OR  97330          503-758-5018 |
| "They have taken my Jesus and locked him up in a church!" - Unknown |

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/12/89)

If someone has had a chance to compare Plan/IT (sp?) with Precision
software's Superplan, could you give us a head to head comparison?  I
would like to get a decent spreadsheet that supports ARexx, and as far
as I know, both qualify so far.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (07/13/89)

(Stephen Orr) writes:
|	B.E.S.T. is an oregon based company (watch out for time differences)
|and there phone number (as published on their software, and validated by use)
|is
|(502) - 685 - 6655
 ^^^^^

   +-- Oops!  That area code should be 503.  Don't know where you go if
you dialed 502...  :-)

--dds

KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Kendall 'Opusii' Sears) (07/13/89)

> |is
> |(502) - 685 - 6655
>  ^^^^^
>    +-- Oops!  That area code should be 503.  Don't know where you go if
> you dialed 502...  :-)
>
> --dds
Tha thar be Kentucky.

I should know... Its ME. ;-)

Opusii.

   Kendall "Opusii" Sears
   KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.bitnet
   ...!psuvax!ulkyvx.bitnet!KRSEAR01  (UUCP)
   K.SEARS                            (GEnie)
"VIC's LIVE... Really. I just used one..."

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (07/13/89)

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>If someone has had a chance to compare Plan/IT (sp?) with Precision
>software's Superplan, could you give us a head to head comparison?  I

Note:  I think a good head-to-head would be _super_.  If someone can
do it, how about trying to get it published??

>would like to get a decent spreadsheet that supports ARexx, and as far
>as I know, both qualify so far.
>

>--
>Eric Kennedy
>ejkst@cisunx.UUCP
>----------
About the time Plan/IT came out, I bought Superplan because I waa
extremely frustrated with MaxiPlan Plus.  I may spend the $50 to
upgrade to Plan/IT, and could then give a better comparison, but for
now:  one of my biggest annoyances with MaxiPlan was with its hardcopy
output.  It only does dot-matrix graphics, and only to the resolution
of the screen.  I found the graphing controls to be very limited.
By comparison, Superplan is fantastic:  it supports HP-GL output for
plotters (which I use), and (claims to do) full printer resolution for
dot matrix (I just haven't tried this since I don't have a graphics
printer ;-).  It offers very good control of what actually goes into
a graph, and supports a few nice (internal) vector fonts for annotation.

If Plan/IT has been improved to this level, I'd sure like to hear about
it!!

On the other hand, I think Superplan has a really awful interface to
selecting options.  What particularly pops to mind is selection of
printers and entry of line widths, print density, page length, etc.
There seem to be unnecessary limits to what you can enter, and for
numeric entries, though you may want to update several, you get tossed
out of the "dialog" screen when you enter a number...  Also, I believe
Superplan was ported from a different (MS-DOS?) environment, and it
shows some of the remnants in the user interface :-(.

Overall, I like Superplan much better than MaxiPlan .. but that could
swing the other way if Plan/IT is really bug-free and has some
reasonable enhancements.
More later if I upgrade my MaxiPlan...

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (07/14/89)

From article <19493@louie.udel.EDU:, by gaspar@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Al Gaspar):

: Does anyone know how to contact B.E.S.T. concerning the upgrade from
: MaxiPlan to PLAN/IT?  I have been trying unsuccessfully since February
: to get more information about what would happen to owners of Maxiplan
: now that Oxxi has dropped it.  Any information would be appreciated.

	BEST can be reached at (503) 684-6655. I've never had any trouble
getting through to them. I've been using Plan/IT for a couple of months
now, and it is easily the most solid product I've seen from IT. I guess
the association with BEST has resulted in more and better beta testing.

: Al Gaspar	<gaspar@st-louis-emh2.army.mil:
: (used to be <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa:)
: USAMC CSDA, ATTN:  AMXAL-OW, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578
: COMMERCIAL:  (314) 263-5118	AUTOVON:  693-5118
: uunet.uu.net!st-louis-emh2.army.mil!gaspar
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (07/16/89)

From article <2505@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM:, by dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell):
: (Stephen Orr) writes:
: |	B.E.S.T. is an oregon based company (watch out for time differences)
: |and there phone number (as published on their software, and validated by use)
: |is
: |(502) - 685 - 6655
:  ^^^^^
:    |
:    +-- Oops!  That area code should be 503.  Don't know where you go if
: you dialed 502...  :-)
:
: --dds

	Actually, you might have troubles even if you enter the right area
code... The correct number is (503) 684-6655. (Note the 684, not 685!)

--

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (07/18/89)

>	Actually, you might have troubles even if you enter the right area
>code... The correct number is (503) 684-6655. (Note the 684, not 685!)

	It seems I may have forgotten how to type recently, I have the piece
of paper with the phone number on it and (typing slowley), the number is...

	503 684-6655

just as Bill says. Sorry for my mistakes.
>--
>     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
>                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey
>Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
>(503) 691-2552    (503) 246-9311   (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

{ The opinions expressed herin ARE those of my employer...
		I'm self employed !		- Stephen Orr	}