[comp.sys.amiga] next Manx release?

bach@USCN.BITNET (BitNet Users Of Southern Tech) (07/15/89)

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone knows what MAnx is up to.  I saw a message
recently that said the next release of Aztec C would be an Ansi C release that
would be followed by Aztec C 5.0.  Does anyone know if this is true?  Also
does anyone know an expected, maybe I should say actual ;>, release date for
Aztec C 5.0?
   I'd like to get a C compiler and I'd like to stick with what I'm familiar
with.  Aztec C 3.6 looks pretty good and I like some of it's capabilities,but
everything I've seen lately says Manx has given up supporting it's users
while Lattice is putting lots of money and time into support for their
compiler.  Is this liable to turn around, or is a buyer of Aztec C going to be
working alone???  Any comments?

                                   Shawn Hayes

daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) (07/17/89)

In article <89071510454773E.ADLQ@USCN.USCN.UGA.EDU> bach@USCN.BITNET (BitNet Users Of Southern Tech) writes:
>Hi.  I was wondering if anyone knows what MAnx is up to.  I saw a message
>recently that said the next release of Aztec C would be an Ansi C release that
>would be followed by Aztec C 5.0.  Does anyone know if this is true?  Also
>does anyone know an expected, maybe I should say actual ;>, release date for
Shawn-
For the latest in Manx upgrade information, just see the August 1989,
issue of AmigaWorld.  There, on page 88, you can find some marketing
information on ACE (Aztec C Express) which includes a "fully integrated
'point-and-shoot' project manager [whatever that is?]" and other goodies.
Developer's package is $299 and Professional is $199.  Is this true? Is this
fluff?  Who knows.  Heck, give 'em a call @ 800/221-0440

 Let us know!
--
Dave Egan
      uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!daveegan

giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) (07/18/89)

In article <24869@dhw68k.cts.com> daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) writes:
>For the latest in Manx upgrade information, just see the August 1989,
>issue of AmigaWorld.  There, on page 88, you can find some marketing
>information on ACE (Aztec C Express) which includes a "fully integrated
>'point-and-shoot' project manager [whatever that is?]" and other goodies.

The `point-and-shoot project manager' is probably a system similar to
Lightspeed C's on the (ack!) Mac.  It's actually quite a nice environment
to work in.  The best way to describe it would be as a `visual makefile'.
You list all the source and library files needed for the project and the
integrated environment takes care of doing all the updates.  Editing a file
is done merely by moving the cursor over the file name in the list of
project files and double-clicking, which loads the file up into a text editor.
Makes me wonder if Manx is going to be providing a new text editor or maybe
some kind of generic interface (ARexx?).

While the integrated environment of Lightspeed C is neat and could be very
well done on the Amiga, the best thing about Lightspeed C is its compilation
and linking speed --- the thing is blazingly fast.  THAT's what I'd like to
see on the Amiga.  (Yes, Lightspeed C does not generate the best code,
but for pure development purposes that shouldn't be much of an issue until
you actually have to release code.)

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this ACE announcement is a bit premature.
Personally I'd be satisfied in just getting an ANSI-compatible Manx compiler.
After all, with the Amiga it's easy to build our own (semi-)integrated
environment....

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (07/18/89)

Dave Egan:
>'point-and-shoot' project manager [whatever that is?]"

Eric Giguere:
>The best way to describe it would be as a `visual makefile'.

Exactly right.

>I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this ACE announcement is a bit premature.

Haven't they been saying 'late summer 89' for the last six months or so?
Maybe they're going to be right.

>Personally I'd be satisfied in just getting an ANSI-compatible Manx compiler.

ANSI was mostly done a year ago - I saw it at DevCon/Washington in May '88.
_Maybe_ getting the bugs out took longer than they thought, and the release
date would have been too close to the release date for the integrated
package.  Maybe it's a different story; I don't know.

>After all, with the Amiga it's easy to build our own (semi-)integrated
>environment....

For many of us, yes.  But there are lots of folks with shiny new A500s that
only know BASIC.  For them, ACE is the place, as they say.

..bob