[comp.sys.amiga] Amax problems, again. . .

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (07/07/89)

[]
Still having problems with the Amax file transfer stuff. . .

I'll bring it up on my dad's Mack, hit "make transfer disk" to format
the "MiniTD" into the 270K size. As per instructions I then copy the
files I want over to the disk, then click on "Prepare transfer disk"
(or some such thing. . .). This is supposed to move the files over to the
tracks that the Amax can read. I get disk activity, then an
"operation completed successfully" notice.

Now when I try to bring it up on amax, I'll get the icons and file info.
When I click on the Icon, the program will start to load partway, but then
I'll get a message saying "application in use of damaged".

I get the same results when I perform the transfer on my Mack Too at
work.

I talked to Simon Douglas last week, he said he had never heard of such a
problem and sent me out the most recent upgrade. The upgrade did the
same thing.

Has anyone else seen the same problem or am I getting prematurely
braindead?

          *** mike (still looking for a publisher) smithwick ***

"Los Angeles : Where neon goes to die"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (07/10/89)

In article <28133@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
> I'll bring it up on my dad's Mack, hit "make transfer disk" to format
> the "MiniTD" into the 270K size. As per instructions I then copy the
> files I want over to the disk, then click on "Prepare transfer disk"
> (or some such thing. . .). This is supposed to move the files over to the
> tracks that the Amax can read. I get disk activity, then an
> "operation completed successfully" notice.
>
> Now when I try to bring it up on amax, I'll get the icons and file info.
> When I click on the Icon, the program will start to load partway, but then
> I'll get a message saying "application in use of damaged".

   If this is what I ran into, the problem is in the documentation,
and the prompts in the transfer software, not in the actual functioning
thereof. When it asks for the "First Transfer Disk", what it really
means is the MACINTOSH SOURCE DISK. After that you give it the two
mini transfer disks in sequence. It took me about an hour and a half to
work this out, by which time I was more than a little annoyed :) The
manual is inconsistent, in one place it mentions the Amiga will ask for
the source disk, yet in the actual section on doing the transfer it
tells you to insert the "transfer disk." Tres confusing...
    Kelton

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (07/11/89)

In article <221@kesmai.COM> kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) writes:
>In article <28133@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>> I'll bring it up on my dad's Mack, hit "make transfer disk" to format
>> the "MiniTD" into the 270K size. As per instructions I then copy the
>> files I want over to the disk, then click on "Prepare transfer disk"
>> (or some such thing. . .). This is supposed to move the files over to the
>> tracks that the Amax can read. I get disk activity, then an
>> "operation completed successfully" notice.
>>
>> Now when I try to bring it up on amax, I'll get the icons and file info.
>> When I click on the Icon, the program will start to load partway, but then
>> I'll get a message saying "application in use of damaged".
>>
>   If this is what I ran into, the problem is in the documentation,
>and the prompts in the transfer software, not in the actual functioning
>thereof. When it asks for the "First Transfer Disk", what it really
>means is the MACINTOSH SOURCE DISK. After that you give it the two
>mini transfer disks in sequence. It took me about an hour and a half to
>work this out, by which time I was more than a little annoyed :) The
>manual is inconsistent, in one place it mentions the Amiga will ask for
>the source disk, yet in the actual section on doing the transfer it
>tells you to insert the "transfer disk." Tres confusing...
>    Kelton

There are two ways of moving disks around:
  - MTD   This is the Mini Transfer Disk that is 270K. The S/W will
	  label this disk to be "MiniTD". I believe Mike Smithwick is
	  talking about this method.
  - FDT   This is Full Disk Transfer that will transfer a whole 800K
	  Mac disk with multiple 270K disks. Kelton Flinn is talking
	  about this one.

After hours of trying to bring A-Max up on my Amiga, I have the following
observations:

  - Mike is doing the right thing. It is just that A-Max (using Amiga
    drives) is very finicky about the MiniTD. When I made up my bootstrapping
    system disk, it would boot into A-Max only about a quarter of the time.
    The A-Max format disks seem to be much more robust, I used my bootstrap
    system to "Disk Receiver" a whole system disk into A-Max format and
    have had not trouble booting with it.

  - Kelton is also right. The documentation is not very clear. (In fact,
    the documentation is very poor in general).

  - As to Mike's problem, (not being a Mac wiz), it sounds like A-Max
    decided to not like that MiniTD. I would suggest trying again and
    again. Copying it to a A-Max disk may help.

Some questions of my own:

  - Which drives work best with A-Max?

  - What are the symtoms when a drive does not work? I tried an Ehman 800K
    drive and nothing happens. A-Max just does not acknowledge its existance.
    Should the drive at least spin, ..?

  - Does anyone know when the harddisk and multitasking stuff will be
    released?

  - Is there anyway to do a Full disk Transfer on the Amiga *without* going
    into A-Max? (This would have simplifed bootstrapping a lot).

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
(613) 763-2831		     ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (07/16/89)

In article <730@bnr-fos.UUCP>, schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) writes:
>   - Which drives work best with A-Max?
>
>   - What are the symtoms when a drive does not work? I tried an Ehman 800K
>     drive and nothing happens. A-Max just does not acknowledge its existance.
>     Should the drive at least spin, ..?
>

> Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
> BNR		    UUCP:    ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
> (613) 763-2831		     ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
> Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.

   I am using the Cutting Edge drive. I had to do a little soldering on
the A-MAX to get the drive to work with my 1000, it worked unmodified
(and after modification as well) on a 2500. Before the modification,
the drive refused to recognize a Mac disk, it kept saying "Unrecognized
disk" and trying to reformat it. It did spin and eject disks. It works
great now.

   Kelton

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (07/18/89)

  I am having problems with my A-Max mac drive also.  Since you remedied the
last problem, I thought you might be able to remedy mine also :-)  I have a
real mac drive (not the one with the notch at the top)  I heard there might be
a problem with these that ReadySoft knows about and is fixing; heard anything?
 Well, on MY 2000 (2 megs micron, 8088 bridgecard, 2090 controller) If I put a
disk in, it locks up and nothing happens.  If I use it on a 2500 it says the
disk is unreadable and wants to format it.  On the 2500 I think it works but
the problem is the one known by ReadySoft.  On mine it doesn't even get that
far to say it want's to format it.  It might be a defective CIA chip like it
says in the readme file.  Do you know the part number of the CIA chip that
could be the problem on the disk drive port?  Any help would, well, help.
Thanks!!!