[comp.sys.amiga] Benchmark source level debugger

STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) (07/06/89)

Hello,

    I noticed someone on the net mentioned a source level debugger
that he/she had tried for the Benchmark Modula2 compiler.  I am
very interted in buying this program, so if anyone could lend
me some information on this, I would be most happy.

					Thanks in advance

			Stuart Stanley
	     Academic Computing Services & Systems
	  	     STU00@UMNACVX.BITNET

	"It's only a snake" - Indiana Jones (Jr.)
	"x NEVER marks the spot" - Indiana Jones (Jr.)

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (07/07/89)

In article <19049@louie.udel.EDU> STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) writes:
>    I noticed someone on the net mentioned a source level debugger
>that he/she had tried for the Benchmark Modula2 compiler.  I am
>very interested in buying this program, so....

Just send in your registration card and you'll be on a mailing list...
when the source level debugger is ready, all owners of registered copies
of the software will, no doubt, be informed of the availability of this
new addon product.  If you are an owner of the developer's version, Mr.
Frenkel DID at one time have an upgrade offer available.  And he does indeed
wish to sell registered users add-on products.  Thats the way to keep
a business going.

Rob Peck

stewartw@warpdrive.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (07/13/89)

In article <19049@louie.udel.EDU> STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) writes:
>Hello,
>
>    I noticed someone on the net mentioned a source level debugger
>that he/she had tried for the Benchmark Modula2 compiler.  I am
>very interted in buying this program, so if anyone could lend
>me some information on this, I would be most happy.

  The benchmark guys just sent me a letter offering their brand new
Source Level Debugger for the paltry sum of $150.00 US.  Well, I'm
glad to see that they now have a Source Level Debugger (they promised
productivity gains of 1000%), but at that price I'm afraid it won't
make it to my door.  Actually that's more than I paid for the compiler.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the compiler, but the price is
just too high.  And no special offers for us long-suffering users either.

  Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (07/18/89)

>In article <19049@louie.udel.EDU> STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>    I noticed someone on the net mentioned a source level debugger
>>that he/she had tried for the Benchmark Modula2 compiler.  I am

There is a review of the this debugger in this months issue of Amiga
Sentry July 89.

Chris

--
		barrett@ektools ( Chris Barrett )
		 rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett

tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) (07/18/89)

In article <6514@warpdrive.UUCP> stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>In article <19049@louie.udel.EDU> STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>    I noticed someone on the net mentioned a source level debugger
>>that he/she had tried for the Benchmark Modula2 compiler.  I am
>>very interted in buying this program, so if anyone could lend
>>me some information on this, I would be most happy.
>
>  The benchmark guys just sent me a letter offering their brand new
>Source Level Debugger for the paltry sum of $150.00 US.  Well, I'm
>glad to see that they now have a Source Level Debugger (they promised
>productivity gains of 1000%), but at that price I'm afraid it won't
>make it to my door.  Actually that's more than I paid for the compiler.
>Don't get me wrong, I really like the compiler, but the price is
>just too high.  And no special offers for us long-suffering users either.
>
>  Stewart

I blanched a little at the price as well, but being in the middle of a drawn-
out project I went ahead and sprung for it, thinking that it would help me
finish the project up quickly.

I have not regretted the spending the money.

The SLD is very solid and very quick and easy to use (at least with a 3MB
system). I have no experience with the Amiga C debuggers, but the Benchmark
SLD is so much simpler and quicker to use than the VMS (multi-language)
debugger I am used to that I continued to feel released (from a heavy weight)
when I use the Benchmark one (and forgive it for not supporting watchpoints).

And it certainly has helped me smoke out the bugs much more quickly. I easily
found a couple of sleeping ones deep in support modules that I had not looked
at in months (and thought were bug-free). Without the SLD it would have been
a long time before I even considered looking into them for the problem.

            - Tom Breeden
              tmb@virginia.EDU      -> Internet
              tmb@virginia          -> BITNET