[comp.sys.amiga] GhostScript - how's it being used?

bryanc@haddock.ima.isc.com (Bryan Cote) (07/14/89)

I've been reading alot about GhostScript lately. It sounds like something
I may want to use at some time but I have a few questions.

	o How compatible is GhostScript with PostScript(r)?
	  (i.e. Will Encapsulated PostScript files work?)

	o Are there any public domain applications out there
	  to take advantage of GhostScript?

	o What types of printers does GhostScript support?
	   Are they the standard ones Amiga DOS supports?

Sorry if these are too basic. GhostScript for Amiga just caught my eye a
week ago. (It's warm outside - I'm allowed out of my cave now)

=                                                                           =
=                      This space intentionally left blank                  =
=                                                                           =

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (07/15/89)

In article <14023@haddock.ima.isc.com> bryanc@haddock.ima.isc.com (Bryan Cote) writes:
>I've been reading alot about GhostScript lately. It sounds like something
>I may want to use at some time but I have a few questions.
>
>	o How compatible is GhostScript with PostScript(r)?
>	  (i.e. Will Encapsulated PostScript files work?)

If my memory fails me correctly, Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files are
simply a combination of PostScript and a bitmap.  The application would
only send the PostScript to the printer (or Ghostscript); the bitmap is
for the screen only.

As for other compatibility, I remember something about the docs saying 95%
compatible, and that Ghostscript doesn't support two specific commands.

>	o Are there any public domain applications out there
>	  to take advantage of GhostScript?

I don't know... I'm setting it up for use with Professional Page.  Any
program that can spit out PostScript can take advantage of Ghostscript.

>	o What types of printers does GhostScript support?
>	   Are they the standard ones Amiga DOS supports?

It goes straight to the PRT: driver.  Use the 1.3 drivers for best results.
Play with the Density setting to balance print quality with memory usage
(this thing is a RAM HOG).

Now, for my own questions:

  - are there any public domain PostScript fonts available anywhere?
    I'm willing to call a BBS long-distance if necessary.

  - A "Cheq" PS font, which displays chess pieces & a board, came across
    comp.sources.misc recently.  It turns out the Mac screen fonts which
    came with it are NFNT format rather than FONT.  The "macfont" program
    that was posted some time back ate my RAD & GURU'ed on the font file.
    Has anyone else mailed the author & got the ASCII version of the screen
    fonts to convert?  If not, I'll do it -- but it'll probably take a while.

If PrintScript or some other commercial PostScript converter comes up with
a way to create the printer image w/o eating 1.5 Meg of RAM, and does it
before I can afford to add more RAM to my machine, I'll buy it.  (Hint:
using virtual memory for this would be S-L-O-W, but fairly easy to implement.)
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
: life BEGIN funds @ enough_to_retire < WHILE work REPEAT ;

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (07/17/89)

Does GhostScript support color?  Can I take a color postscript file
and dump it to my HP_PaintJet using Ghostscript?

-Roger

Steve Stamper asks: "Does GhostScript support color?"

I have GhostScript 1.3 and I don't recall color mentioned in any of the docs
or program source.

*IS* there a color PostScript "standard"?  Just curious.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/18/89)

In article <20564@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>*IS* there a color PostScript "standard"?  Just curious.

Standard Adobe Postscript DOES have provisions for color.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (07/19/89)

This is your asshole: (Thad P Floryan)

This is drugs: cup.portal.com

This is your asshole on drugs:

Article <20564@cup.portal.com>:
>*IS* there a color PostScript "standard"?  Just curious.

Any questions ?

--
                           He's T*d, Jim.
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV