[comp.sys.amiga] speaking of new groups...

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (07/18/89)

In article <54916@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
$Or, how about a new group:  comp.sys.amiga.games.  This would cut down
$on the volume to wade through for those of us that don't usually buy
$games.
$-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

How about comp.sys.amiga.harddrives?

There are SO many postings about "which drive is better" prices, configuration
of various controllers, etc.

Just an idea.

	Paul.

andrew@aucis.UUCP (Andrew Gillham) (07/19/89)

In article <7345@cbmvax.UUCP>, higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
> How about comp.sys.amiga.harddrives?
>
> There are SO many postings about "which drive is better" prices, configuration
> of various controllers, etc.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> 	Paul.

What about comp.sys.amiga.expansion?  It could cover harddrives, memory cards,
and various other devices.  Maybe a monthly post of different devices, how
everybody on the net feels about them, where you can get them, and price...

(this would help me a lot!)

-Andrew

--
Andrew Gillham              | andrew%aucis.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu or
Andrews University          | sharkey!aucis!andrew or uunet!zds-ux!aucis!andrew

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (07/19/89)

In article <459@aucis.UUCP> andrew@aucis.UUCP (Andrew Gillham) writes:
$What about comp.sys.amiga.expansion?  It could cover harddrives, memory cards,
$and various other devices.  Maybe a monthly post of different devices, how
$everybody on the net feels about them, where you can get them, and price...
$(this would help me a lot!)
$-Andrew

This is an excellent idea.  Personally, I am interested in hearing about
issues, compliments, comments, problems etc. regarding, Commodore and Commodore's
hardware and software, dealers, etc.  I was thinking the group might be for third
party hardware.  I guess I've just had my fill of postings about Seagate drives,
for example (and yes, I do use a Kill file, but they seem to show up under
so many subjects!).  I realize I might be in the minority.  Don't flame -
suggest something else!

	Paul.

In article <7357@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
>This is an excellent idea.  Personally, I am interested in hearing about
>issues, compliments, comments, problems etc. regarding, Commodore and Commodore's
>hardware and software, dealers, etc.  I was thinking the group might be for third
>party hardware.  I guess I've just had my fill of postings about Seagate drives,
>for example (and yes, I do use a Kill file, but they seem to show up under
>so many subjects!).  I realize I might be in the minority.  Don't flame -
>suggest something else!

The stuff you mention is not suitable for a general group. It is for
personal e-mail. I am really not interested in hearing whether so-and-so
dealer in Arkansas is doing a good or bad job at selling Commodore hardware.
Rick Unland just did what you mention, confined it to personal e-mail and got
all the information/gripes/compliments he needed. There is not one
single item that is not cyclical (i.e. seagates) that requires a separate
group. Not even Arexx, which had a following here, had a volume large enough
to make it as a separate group.  The alt.amiga groups didn't make it either,
simply because the current split (csa & csat) seems to serve its purpose.
Just build a larger KILL file :-) Not a flame, but you need a little more than
that to substantiate reasons to create a new group. Quoting from "How to
Use USENET Effectively", by Matt Bishop (required reading of every good
usenetter):

"Creating a new group is, in general a bad idea".
"Do not post anything when upset, angry, or intoxicated". :^)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland