[comp.sys.amiga] DNet performance

In <295@sed170.HAC.COM>, lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) writes:
>>As a laboratory demonstration, I have a 2400 baud modem, and I run DNET.
>>(Great stuff, Matt!) For those of you who do not know, DNET uses the line fully
>>during downloads - no pauses waiting for acknowledgements. WHen downloading I
>>get about 10K per minute transfer rate. (And, as the old joke goes, I'm
>>THANKFUL for it. Just wait'll I have kids and they complain about how slow
>>their T1 line is.)
>>
>>10240 bytes per 60 seconds = 171 bytes per second
>>                           = 1710 bits per second
>>
>>The rest is DNET's blocking and protocol and escaping. I'm not getting anything
>>like 2400 BYTES per second.
>
>Gee, are you sure there's nothing else going on?  That's only 71.25%.  I don't
>think DNET uses 28.75% of the bandwidth for its protocol.  2400 bps modems
>are really 240 characters per second.  I've timed it out of curiosity when
>I was doing straight ASCII dumps.

Hmm... just tried a DNet 'putfiles', Amiga to Sun 2/50, at 9600 baud (a direct
connection). It transferred 114482 bytes in 128 seconds, gving an effective
data rate of 894 bytes/second, or about 93% of theoretical maximum. (I agree...
nice work Matt!). This was from VD0: to my home directory on the Sun. A DNet
'getfiles' of the same file yielded about the same (126.75 seconds).

Out of curiousity, I tried a transfer both ways at the same time (with renamed
files of course), and found the putfiles took 158.6 seconds, at which time
the getfiles had transferred 61400 bytes (it was running at about half the
speed of the putfiles all along).

Taking the time for putfiles, and figuring the total line usage in both
directions, it gives a total of (114482 + 61440) 175922 bytes transferred in
158.6 seconds, or about 1109 bytes/second.

I am currently trying to write a version of 'tip' on the Sun that will allow me
fully transparent access to the serial port. The reason is that I want to have
the modem connected to the Sun, but accessable from the Amiga. Using the
standard tip, I can do anything ASCII oriented, and use Aterm 7.3 connected to
the Sun at 9600 bps (or baud.. :-) ), and it runs exactly the same as if I had
dialled directly out the modem.

I have my Sun source on both the Sun and Amiga, and do all my editing on the
Amiga (with CEDPro). Whenever I change a module on the Amiga, I can simply type
'make', and the module(s) I changed get sent via putfiles to the source
directory on the Sun. Typing 'make' in a DNet 'fterm' window then compiles the
source on the Sun. (now all I need is rpc capability in DNet and I won't even
have to have the fterm window up).

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

>Larry, since you are running at 9600 baud, have you tried Dnet-nfs?

No, I haven't. In looking at the files I have, I see only a few references to
it. One was a comment by Matt about it, and contained a '(heh heh, just kidding
:-))'. The other was from you, wishing you had it. :-)

I would definitely like to play around with it though, especially if it allows
me to do something resembling rpc.

>Much nicer than getfiles/putfiles, IMHO.  You can edit your files with
>an Amiga editor from the mounted Sun directory.  At 9600 baud, if the
>files aren't too large, it works pretty good. No need for getfiles or
>putfiles. In fact, I hardly ever use getfiles/putfiles anymore. On the
>other hand, if you are moving about between files, then this isn't such
>a good idea. Better to go back to an fterm.

The setup I have right now is pretty good. I had to make a bunch of empty files
in the Amiga end and use 'touch' on them to fool the makefile into having some
dependencies to work on, but when I type 'make', the directorty on the Sun is
automatically (and quite quickly) updated.

>  Dnet-nfs isn't fully
>implemented yet, and doesn't behave properly with some software. I can
>do loads & saves from the Manx 'Z' editor very nicely, but
>ProWrite/ProScript won't get or save files. :-(

Hmm... if it works with CEDPro, I'd love it. No doubt about it.

-larry

--
Real Amiga hackers write printer drivers using Metascope.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/11/89)

In article <619@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>I'm currently trying to write a version of 'tip' on the Sun that will allow me
>fully transparent access to the serial port. The reason is that I want to have
[...]
>I have my Sun source on both the Sun and Amiga, and do all my editing on the
>Amiga (with CEDPro). Whenever I change a module on the Amiga, I can simply type
>'make', and the module(s) I changed get sent via putfiles to the source
>directory on the Sun. Typing 'make' in a DNet 'fterm' window then compiles the
>source on the Sun. (now all I need is rpc capability in DNet and I won't even
>have to have the fterm window up).

Larry, since you are running at 9600 baud, have you tried Dnet-nfs?
Much nicer than getfiles/putfiles, IMHO.  You can edit your files with
an Amiga editor from the mounted Sun directory.  At 9600 baud, if the
files aren't too large, it works pretty good. No need for getfiles or
putfiles. In fact, I hardly ever use getfiles/putfiles anymore. On the
other hand, if you are moving about between files, then this isn't such
a good idea. Better to go back to an fterm.  Dnet-nfs isn't fully
implemented yet, and doesn't behave properly with some software. I can
do loads & saves from the Manx 'Z' editor very nicely, but
ProWrite/ProScript won't get or save files. :-(

Browser and directory utilities are stable for viewing mounted
directories, but will guru on some operations. Interestingly, Browser
will copy smaller files ok but at somewhere above 50k files it will
lock up just after writing the file - the file is copied ok, but you
lose the machine doing it.  While most shell operations are a bit slow,
some file requesters such as the one in AudioMasterII can move about
the mounted directories VERY quickly.  Nice if your samples aren't too
large. :^) The PCUtilities also work with Dnet's NF0:, and are really
useable also at 9600 baud.

Dnet-nfs also makes mail-checkers & print spoolers, etc. real easy to
implement. Love that NF0: Thanks again, Matt.

Kent Polk

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (07/11/89)

In article <18173@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:

> Dnet-nfs also makes mail-checkers & print spoolers, etc. real easy to
> implement. Love that NF0: Thanks again, Matt.
>
> Kent Polk

Maybe it's because I'm currently on a search-committee interviewing
for some new staff but this little exaggeration just came to mind:

(HUMOR MODE on)

So Matt, when you go into an interview to do you walk out if they have
to ask you about your previous experience?

(HUMOR MODE off)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (07/14/89)

In article <629@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>Much nicer than getfiles/putfiles, IMHO.  You can edit your files with
>>an Amiga editor from the mounted Sun directory.  At 9600 baud, if the
>>files aren't too large, it works pretty good. No need for getfiles or
>>putfiles. In fact, I hardly ever use getfiles/putfiles anymore. On the
>>other hand, if you are moving about between files, then this isn't such
>>a good idea. Better to go back to an fterm.

And for you Amiga-Amiga DNET users, get a copy of my NET: device.  It is a
mountable AmigaDOS device that talks to a DNET server on another Amiga and
lets you get at the other Amiga's files...

--Doug

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (07/14/89)

In article <1106@sas.UUCP>, walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
> In article <629@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>
> And for you Amiga-Amiga DNET users, get a copy of my NET: device.  It is a
> mountable AmigaDOS device that talks to a DNET server on another Amiga and
> lets you get at the other Amiga's files...
>
> --Doug

Wherefrom?

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (07/14/89)

In article <1106@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
-
-And for you Amiga-Amiga DNET users, get a copy of my NET: device.  It is a
-mountable AmigaDOS device that talks to a DNET server on another Amiga and
-lets you get at the other Amiga's files...

	All these postings about 1.4 wishes, I know what I want now.  I
want to see DNet as standard part of AmigaDOS 1.4...  8)
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (07/18/89)

From article <138@ra.abo.fi:, by rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF):
: In article <1106@sas.UUCP:, walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
:: In article <629@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca: lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
::
:: And for you Amiga-Amiga DNET users, get a copy of my NET: device.  It is a
:: mountable AmigaDOS device that talks to a DNET server on another Amiga and
:: lets you get at the other Amiga's files...
::
:: --Doug
:
: Wherefrom?

	NET: is available on PLink and many of the BBSes around the country.
If you have PCP access and no PLink access, try the NAG BBS at (503)288-1918
or (503)656-7393. Or wait for it to show here. I know Doug is still working
on the more general implementation of NET: (Dale, how's the networking
standard coming along?) and he may be waiting for that to be ready before
sending it to comp.{binaries|sources}.amiga.
		Bill

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (07/18/89)

From article <4342@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu:, by yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang):
: In article <1106@sas.UUCP: walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
: -
: -And for you Amiga-Amiga DNET users, get a copy of my NET: device.  It is a
: -mountable AmigaDOS device that talks to a DNET server on another Amiga and
: -lets you get at the other Amiga's files...
:
: 	All these postings about 1.4 wishes, I know what I want now.  I
: want to see DNet as standard part of AmigaDOS 1.4...  8)
: --
: Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
: UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan
: ARPA:	   uhccux!yuan@nosc.MIL               "Wouldn't you like to
: INTERNET:  yuan@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu         be an _A_m_i_g_o_i_d too?!?"

	And I want to see a NET: based BBS... Can you imagine downloading
files from a BBS by simply dragging thier icon to your drive? Or reading
messages by clicking on the icon? Or doing both at once!
		Bill

--

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (07/20/89)

In article <1575@agora.UUCP>, billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:

> 	NET: is available on PLink and many of the BBSes around the country.
> If you have PCP access and no PLink access, try the NAG BBS at (503)288-1918
> or (503)656-7393. Or wait for it to show here. I know Doug is still working
> on the more general implementation of NET: (Dale, how's the networking
> standard coming along?) and he may be waiting for that to be ready before
> sending it to comp.{binaries|sources}.amiga.
> 		Bill

 Yes, I was afraid of that. It would be very expensive for me to call the
bbs and get the stuff. Especially since anything above 300 baud is unlikely
to succeed at all. >$16 per 10K hmmm. It is still expensive to make phone calls
to North America, although the fee has dropeed substantially the last few
years.

So, its not ftp'able? Or could someone who has it mail it to me?

---
Robin Rosenberg, FINLAND	inet: rosenbergr@abo.fi