[comp.sys.amiga] Job notice in Physics Today for Amigans

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (07/18/89)

Job notice for SENIOR SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMMER

Senior Scientific Programmer is needed at an accredited university.
Duties include:
1.  Developing end user support for Commodore Amiga pc's used as terminal
    emulators to IBM and VAX systems, text processing workstation using TeX,
    and as graphics workstations.  Responsibilities include developing
    utilities for use with these programs; finding and fixing/reporting
    bugs, consulting with end users about their problems and developoing
    user education programs.

2.  Developing and participating in an end user support program for VAX/VMS
    users whose primary activities are physics data analysis, program
    development, graphics, and text processing (TeX).

3.  Analyzing and addressing general workstation support in a physics
    laboratory environment like backup support for workstation hard disks

4.  Participate in  general end user support for scientific users on a
    VM CMS operating system.

5.  Participate in analysis of high energy physics colliding beam
    data.

The Successful applicant must have:
1.  PhD in physics
2.  A thorough knowledge of Amiga-DOS, Amiga-TeX, ARexx, and VLT.
3.  A minimum of 3 years experience with VAX's under VMS and experience
    with large physics application programs.
4.  Knowledge of modern storage technology (optical disks and helical-
    scan tapes)
5.  2 years experience using VM CMS
6.  Fluent knowledge of computer languages C, FORTRAN, and REXX.
7.  Basic knowledge of Pascal and reading proficiency of VAX Assembler.
8.  Knowledge of paricle physics phenomena and basic particle physics
    theory as demonstrated through publications.
9.  He/She must also have 3 years experience in dataacquisition and data
    analysis associated with multi-purpose particle experiments.

The salary for this position is $3333/month. Job Site: Stanford, CA.
Send this ad and a resume to

Ms. Ruth Thor Nelson
Stanford Linear Accelelator
P.O. Box 4349
Stanford, CA  94309

not later than August 15, 1989. An equal opportunity employer through
affirmative action.

This was found in the want adds of Physics Today, July 1989

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/19/89)

In article <2371@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:
>Job notice for...PhD in physics...minimum of 3 years experience...
>salary $3333/month...CA

My landscaper makes more than that and he doesn't even live in CA...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (07/19/89)

In article <207@estinc.UUCP> fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <2371@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:
>>Job notice for...PhD in physics...minimum of 3 years experience...
>>salary $3333/month...CA
>
>My landscaper makes more than that and he doesn't even live in CA...
>
>-Fred
>--
># Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
># 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

This is called "Job security for PHDs"!
The job could be handled by a $15K/yr college student.

There was absolutely nothing in the job description that indicated
a need for PHD level Physics knowledge!

Sounds like the job description has been wired to a specific person.
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

In article <207@estinc.UUCP> fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:

 >>Job notice for...PhD in physics...minimum of 3 years experience...
 >>salary $3333/month...CA
 >
 >My landscaper makes more than that and he doesn't even live in CA...
 >
 >-Fred

Hey Fred! Can *I* cut your grass? I'll do it for half price!
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.