[comp.sys.amiga] 2400 baud modem

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (07/13/88)

Hello,

 I am considering buying a 2400 baud modem.  I want one that is
Hayes-compatible.  I've heard of one by Supra and by US Something-or-other.
Could you fellow netters send me info on them or any other 2400 baud
modems.  Mention price, degree of hayes compatibility, performance,
and what cable I need to connect to an Amiga 1000.
If they are sold at mail order places, please mention which mail order
place and their price.

Please send email, I will summarixe to the net.

Thanks!

ARPA: rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!rlcarr
BIT:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@mitvma.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "...and she's buying a stairway to heaven."   *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu            - "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin     *

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (07/18/89)

I've decided to get a modem.  Question, are all 2400 baud, fully Hayes-
compatible modems with 2+ yr. warrenty, the same?  What about the Zoom
modem for $119.00?  Anything better in that price range?  Also, are there
any good (or not so good) Amiga BBS's in the 415 (Berkeley) area code?

-Evan

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (07/20/89)

From: mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) Message-ID: <30080@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>

>I've decided to get a modem.  Question, are all 2400 baud, fully Hayes-
>compatible modems with 2+ yr. warrenty, the same?  What about the Zoom
>modem for $119.00?  Anything better in that price range?  Also, are there
?any good (or not so good) Amiga BBS's in the 415 (Berkeley) area code?
>-Evan

Supra Modem 2400 is another good choice. I don't know what they are selling
for now but I bought mine for 149.00 about a year ago and am very pleased
with it. It is VERY Hayes compatible and has VERY good documentation. 9+

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) (07/21/89)

In article <30080@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>I've decided to get a modem.  Question, are all 2400 baud, fully Hayes-
>compatible modems with 2+ yr. warrenty, the same?  What about the Zoom
>modem for $119.00?  Anything better in that price range?  Also, are there
>any good (or not so good) Amiga BBS's in the 415 (Berkeley) area code?
>
>-Evan

I purchased a Zoom modem at the Macworld Convention this spring (horrors of
horrors!  A traitor among the Amiga throng?!?!  No, I have a semi-rabid Mac
friend who invited me along *and* paid for my ticket.  I seldom refuse
freebies.  :-))  and I used it from my dorm room (Cheney Hall, Unit 1) to
dial up to the Berkeley campus EECS systems with absolutely no problems
(Evans Hall and Cory Hall Portselectors both support 2400 baud).  I also
called outside BBS's, again with no problems.  Needless to say, I was
extremely pleased with the higher speed (I also have a 1200 baud SmartCat) and
with the price.  I must admit I was somewhat hesitant because of the low
price and of the unit's low-cost case, but then Zoom's reputation seemed to
be good and the one-year warrenty helped convince me.

The Zoom modem's command set is a subset of Hayes, but all the critical
commands are there.  Specifically missing are some of the more exoteric
S registers.  I forget what other commands are missing.  I don't miss them.

I'm now thinking of buying a Trailblazer so I can set my Amiga up as a UUCP
node and have a reasonable phone bill.  I understand that some type of discount
is available if you are a "registered" UUCP node.  Does anyone know the
details?

As for BBS's, see Computer Currents and MicroTimes.  A good one (if you
can get through) is the AAA BBS.  Another is the Winner's Circle BBS.
Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers with me.

--John Lee
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.