[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with vendors

In <dfmK02o83bEM01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>In article <28132@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>>Here! here! I found the same problems, so I have to go back to 2.0 myself.
>>I haven't bothered to call them yet, since I assume their tech support line
>>will be busy. . .
>>
>>If they don't get upgrades out within the next month or two, I'll probably
>>go with A-Talk, (particulary since the author is on the net, Marco).
>>
>If users don't contact vendors when they encounter problems with a
>product, how will the vendors know that there are problems?

In the case of MSS, it won't matter.Talking to them is an excercise in
frustration.

"But Xmodem doesn't work."
"We have only had two requests to fix it. If we get enough demand for that
feature, we will implement it."

Every single time I have spoken with folks from MSS about their products, I
have come away with the feeling that they are incompetent, rude, and stupid,
and that they encourage those qualities in their employees.

In addition, their business dealings with authors leave a lot to be desired in
the ethics department.

>The moral:
> If you have problems, complain! If they dont get fixed, THEN switch
>vendors.

This would hold true for most companies. In the case of MSS, the time to switch
vendors is before you spend any money with them.

Sorry for the completely negative sound of this posting, but I literally have
nothing positive to say about the company, and that in itself is unusual for me.

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (07/07/89)

In article <28132@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>Here! here! I found the same problems, so I have to go back to 2.0 myself.
>I haven't bothered to call them yet, since I assume their tech support line
>will be busy. . .
>
>If they don't get upgrades out within the next month or two, I'll probably
>go with A-Talk, (particulary since the author is on the net, Marco).

If users don't contact vendors when they encounter problems with a
product, how will the vendors know that there are problems?

It's like the time we had a power outage in our apartment building. We
sat around in the dark for an hour, thinking that someone else would
surely call the electric company. After an hour, I called the electric
company, to find out that they had no idea that we had lost power!

The moral:
 If you have problems, complain! If they dont get fixed, THEN switch
vendors.
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (07/08/89)

Ok, here is my contribution to the MSS story:

Two years ago, I got a modem for my Amiga.  I bought the particular modem
that I did because it came with the OnLine! package, and the ads for 2.0
which I had been seeing (for nearly 6 months!) made 2.0 look neat.  The
modem of course, came with 1.0.  1.0 sucked terribly.

When I called the distributor, they said 2.0 wasn't available.  When I
called MSS, they said wait a week and send $15.  I waited a few weeks, and
when 2.0 was still scheduled for release Real Soon Now, I sent MSS the
whole package with a letter explaining, as I had over the phone, that
I puchased the thing because of the features in 2.0 and the ad which
said that 2.0 was now available.  I wrote further that I intended to
send copies of the letter to the PostMaster General, etc. if I did not
get a prompt response.

MSS never so much as sent a letter acknowledging reciept of my letter
and their returned software, much less a refund or upgrade!

I got to busy with starting college to write the PostMaster, etc. but
from all of the complaints I've seen here, I guess I should have!!!!!

--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything

Gary_D_Walborn@cup.portal.com (07/09/89)

I have been an Amiga user since the first 1000's were delivered.  I have
purchases Analyze!, Online!, Scribble!, Excellence!, Sideways!, Organize!,
and have recently upgraded to The Works!-Platinum Edition.  At first I was
pleased with the quality of software and support from MSS!  In the last year
or so their attitude has changed radically!  I can no longer endorse their
products.   When I was invited to upgrade my Online! program to Online!-
Platinum OR (since I had several packages) The Works!-Platinum, I opted
to order The Works!.  A friend of mine opted to upgrade only his Online!.
The Works! came in several months before his Online!-Platinum.  When his
Online! came I was suprised to find that Online!-Platinum has several
options not available in The Works!-Platinum telecomm program (most
notably the AREXX interface).  I called MicroSystems Software and was
told that The Works!-Platinum telecomm and Online!-Platinum are TWO
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PACKAGES and that The Works!-Platinum WOULD NOT
BE BROUGHT to the same level of functionality of Online!-Platinum.
I was told that I would have to pay the full upgrade price for Online!-
Platinum even though I had paid a much higher figure to upgrade to The
Works!-Platinum.  Furthermore, both The Works!-Platinum and Online!-
Platinum are bug-ridden.  Many things do not work as well as they did
in the original Online!  I feel betrayed...  MSS will not get any more
of MY money.  BTW, their tech people were sympathetic but unable to
help.  I asked to speak with the general manager.  He sounds like a
real jerk (IMHO)!  I'm afraid that a once fine company is now being run
by someone who is more interested in profits than quality products and
support.

Gary Walborn @cup.portal.com

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (07/10/89)

	While we're on the subject I would like to let some steam off towards
a certain company that makes B.A.D. disk optimizing software. I bought a
copy of this FINE program and was happy until I purchased a GVP Hard-
Drive.

	After installing the Autoboot (e)proms I found that B.A.D. went
BAD. I'm told that it is a problem with the GVP interface BUT a fix was
installed in the B.A.D. software and was supposedly available as a free
update. I (as instructed) sent this penny ass company my original disk
and reg. card MANY moons ago and after waiting patiantly 2 months at a
time was PROMISED that I would recieve an updated version. numerous calls
have proven only temporarily satisfying. Still no workable version, UGH!

	If you plan on buying ANYTHING from MV MICRO think twice about getting
any kind of support in regards to updates. This is a two man company that
should have stayed in the shareware market and does NOT back up it's
promises to PAYING customers like myself. :-(  :-(  :-(

PS. No offense to shareware authors, just that I think that this company
would probably have more time to take care of its customers had it stayed
in the shareware market.

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (07/10/89)

	Has anybody been compiling a list of these complaints ? If so could
you post the list to this group ? I for one am getting sick and tired
of being taken by these DEAF and DUMB numbnut developers. Remember if
you haven't been bit yet you haven't REALLY seen the dark. It's one
thing to NOT make a promise and NOT keep it. When someone MAKES a pro-
mise to make good on his/her dollar earned but doesn't then the shi*head
should be.... well.. annihilated financially. Yea that's it, annihilated
in a financial way. IMHO

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*
  Sacramento Ca   //        mail to:   ...pacbell!sactoh0!americ!erk
 ------------- \\// --------------------------------------------------------

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/14/89)

Erick, I am sorry to hear your problems with the BAD program. However,
I have the BAD program and it has worked FLAWLESSLY!! And I have always
gotten quick response from MV-Micro. So I would not be to fast to condemn
them. Yes, they are a 2 person company, but they put alot of work into
their "penny-ass company".

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (07/18/89)

>From: Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.comMessage-ID: <20422@cup.portal.com>

>Erick, I am sorry to hear your problems with the BAD program. However,
>I have the BAD program and it has worked FLAWLESSLY!! And I have always
>gotten quick response from MV-Micro. So I would not be to fast to condemn
>them. Yes, they are a 2 person company, but they put alot of work into
>their "penny-ass company".

Doug, I'm afraid that you have misconstrued my complaint with MV-Micro.
In the original post I wrote that the product was sound and that I was
very happy with it. My complaint is with their follow-up treatment to
-ME-. These knuckleheads have PROMISED me several times that I would rcv.
an updated workable version for my GVP HD. It's been almost a fu**ing
year and I have not hounded them in any way but as to remind them on
occasion that I have not recieved the disk. READ PROMISED, not maybe
we will send you an upgrade if we feel like it, we WILL send you the
disk that you need, PROMISE. OK, so what the hell is a promise to a
businessman that is busy doing this or that for THIER company. What
about the person that goes into a store, buys a product IN GOOD FAITH
that said product will work properly and does not work. THEY have my
original disk for crying out loud! What have I got for my 40 dollars !
Now as far as anybody is concerned I have a pirated copy of B.A.D., try
to get an upgrade for that !!!!! "FLAWLESSLY!!"? Try my version on a
GVP HD. Yes it is the only version that I have because they haven't
sent me the FIXED version. Only THEN would my version work "FLAWLESSLY!!"
AND I would Quit bitchin. :-(

sheesh... think I'll have another beer and settle down.. %-)
Anyway nothing personal Doug but -I- feel reamed.

--

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/20/89)

In article <20422@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Erick, I am sorry to hear your problems with the BAD program. However,
>I have the BAD program and it has worked FLAWLESSLY!! And I have always
>gotten quick response from MV-Micro. So I would not be to fast to condemn
>them. Yes, they are a 2 person company, but they put alot of work into
>their "penny-ass company".

   Yes, B.A.D. does work and the speed improvement is really noticeable.
BUT....

   Here's a word of warning:  BACKUP YOUR HARDDRIVE!!!!!!!!!!

   If you're like me and have a 1000 with that flaky 1.3 problem
   and the system crashes during the hour it takes to BAD the drive,
   just about everything is rendered useless.  Stuff that has gone
   through is o.k.  the most recently processed stuff is visible
   but cursed like a D&D ring or sword.  Stuff that hasn't been
   processed has gone to the pile of lost things that you get
   back when you die.  Need I say more?

                                           - Bear

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/21/89)

I don't think you need another beer, I think you need some valium! :)

READ my original posting. All *I* said was that I have had no problems with
the program, nor the update that *I* got! Got it!? GOOD! 'nuff said.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/21/89)

Yes, if your system gurus or there is a powerfailure, you will lose your
data. You should ALWAYS back up the HD regardless, but Disksalv can do
wonders!! :) :)

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com