[comp.sys.amiga] Super sound on the Amiga 1000!!

mikey@NRC.COM (Mikey Goodglick) (07/18/89)

I have a fix for the A1000 that will give you the same EXPANDED audio quality
that is available for the A2000 & A500.  Although many users of the A2000 &
A500 do not realize that they have this expanded capability it is proven by
using the program LED.  This program seems to do nothing but dim the LED on
the systems.  What is happening is that the LED control line is being used to
by-pass filtering on the Amiga.
In by-passing this filter the results are a MUCH brighter sound!!.  The
A1000 unfortunatly does not have this capability.  The fix that I install on
the A1000 will allow this.  I also add a hardware switch that allows you to
switch the filter in and out at the push of a button, a feature that the
A2000 & A500 does NOT have. This is VERY useful as many programs do not
by-pass the filter, but when you hit the button to by-pass the filter....
the audio REALLY wakes up!!! I also add a switch to cut out the anti-aliasing
filter.  This filter is to cut out EXTREAM highs.  I also have that one on a
switch. I have installed this into 3-4 machines...all with no problems. For
each person that I have installed this, they CANNOT believe the difference
in sound.  It sounds as if a sock has been removed from your speakers.

  If you wish me to install this for you, or if you wish more information...
Please contact me...

      "I like pizza, I like it green, I like it dripping down my screen!!"
                                           ____________________________________
     LIGHTS!, CAMERA!, ACTION!             |        Mike Goodglick            |
                                           |    Network Research Corporation  |
         **** Mikey ****,                  |    2380 North Rose Avenue        |
    In 3D, Part II, The Final Chapter      |    Oxnard, California 93030      |
  A New Beginning...But this time,         |        (805)485-2700  x355       |
       Someone is waiting.                 |  mikey@nrc.com  mikey@nrcvax.UUCP|
                                           ------------------------------------

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/19/89)

In Message <266@nrcvax.NRC.COM>, mikey@NRC.COM (Mikey Goodglick) writes:

>I have a fix for the A1000 that will give you the same EXPANDED audio quality
>that is available for the A2000 & A500.  Although many users of the A2000 &
>A500 do not realize that they have this expanded capability it is proven by
>using the program LED.  This program seems to do nothing but dim the LED on
>the systems.  What is happening is that the LED control line is being used to
>by-pass filtering on the Amiga.
>In by-passing this filter the results are a MUCH brighter sound!!.  The
>A1000 unfortunatly does not have this capability.  The fix that I install on
                                                    ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^ ^^
>the A1000 will allow this.  I also add a hardware switch that allows you to
 ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^   ^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^
>switch the filter in and out at the push of a button, a feature that the
 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^ ^^^^^^
>A2000 & A500 does NOT have. This is VERY useful as many programs do not
>by-pass the filter, but when you hit the button to by-pass the filter....
>the audio REALLY wakes up!!! I also add a switch to cut out the anti-aliasing
>filter.  This filter is to cut out EXTREAM highs.  I also have that one on a
>switch. I have installed this into 3-4 machines...all with no problems. For
>each person that I have installed this, they CANNOT believe the difference
>in sound.  It sounds as if a sock has been removed from your speakers.

  If your interested in this kind of hardware fix, obtain a copy of the
  March/April 1988 issue of Amiga MAIL. I did an article that shows 'C'
  code for filter switching on the 500 & 2000 along with a hardware hack
  for the 1000.

  On some applications the sound is improved, but there are many that it
  only makes noise. So regardless of what you do, make sure its switchable.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/21/89)

  After my posting explaing that details for the A1000 hardware hack and 'C'
  code for the 500/2000 audio filter switch was in a past issue of Amiga Mail
  ive received several replies requesting copies or info on Amiga Mail.

  #1> Amiga Mail is publised by-monthly by CATS. Cost is $20 per year and
      subscriptions are open to anyone (you don't have to be a developer).

  #2> Since the article was written on CBM's time, I must assume all copyrights
      for that work are theirs. This means they control distribution not me.

  #3> An official CATS person will have to post information on the policy of
      obtaining back issues (if there is one).

  I do know CATS is/was working on a book that contained reprints of the entire
  Amiga Mail series but I don't know its status.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___