[comp.sys.amiga] DNET on Ultrix v3 with Trailblazer

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (07/17/89)

Does anybody have a similar configuratrion working?

I have v2.01 which I ftp'd from ucbvax.berkeley.edu the
other night.

What happens is I call out using dterm, log in, set my
DNETDIR variable to point to /tmp/.david.DNET and type
dnet.  The dnet.servers file points to /u/e/staff/david/local.ultrix.
The dnet.servers on the amiga points to boot:system, which is
where I put all the dnet binaries.  In both cases these directories
are in my PATH.  When I type dnet, the dterm window goes away
and an fterm window starts.  But quickly after the original
dterm window comes back, the fterm window goes away, and a new
fterm window comes back.  It keeps doing this ... until I turn
off the modem.  QuitDnet won't kill it.

Runing with -p and -d (debug & packet debug) shows

	DNET RUNNING
	SEND 05		3 bytes
	DNET RUNNING
	SEND 05		3 bytes
	DNET RUNNING
	SEND 05		3 bytes
	DNET RUNNING
	SEND 05		3 bytes
	DNET RUNNING
	SEND 05		3 bytes

Until I turn the modem off.  Sometimes it prints that it received
a "16" with so many bytes, but that doesn't keep the fterm from
being killed.

Oh, and it's not the trailblazer either because this happens when
I call a 2400 baud modem with my trailblazer.

I tried turning off all the flow control on the remote trailblazer.
My trailblazer uses hardware flow control -- It doesn't step on
^S/^Q and is otherwise transparent to characters.

There was a couple of compile errors -- warnings actually --
when compiling the unix end.  I could reproduce those if necessary.

On the Amiga end I'm just using the binaries in the distribution.
I installed the dpipe: handler in the distribution, even though
the docs didn't say to...  (Does it matter that I didn't MOUNT it
until after startup-sequence finished?)

My DNETDIR is in /tmp because my home directory is NFS mounted
from a machine other than the one the modems are on.

"boot:" is the name listed for the boot device in MountList.  It
was named DH0: at format time.  Oh, but I see the dnet.servers
now refers to dh0:system ...

I tried "stty pass8" once .. no change

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/17/89)

In article <12183@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:

[DNet choking w/Trailblazer]

sounds like a transparency problem...  DNet is unbelievably
unforgiving of the slightest point of nontransparency.  (A severe
design flaw, in my opinion.)  Going through a terminal multiplexor?

>QuitDnet won't kill it.

QuitDnet is useless unless the DNet protocol is already running
properly.  [another design flaw? ;-)]

>Oh, and it's not the trailblazer either because this happens when
>I call a 2400 baud modem with my trailblazer.

Still could be the modem's fault.  Tried with a DIFFERENT modem?

>I tried turning off all the flow control on the remote trailblazer.
>My trailblazer uses hardware flow control -- It doesn't step on
>^S/^Q and is otherwise transparent to characters.

Kill all flow control everywhere you can find it, and then some.

>There was a couple of compile errors -- warnings actually --
>when compiling the unix end.  I could reproduce those if necessary.

Sloppy code.  Don't worry about it; that's not your problem.  Your
problem is somewhere in the data stream.

>On the Amiga end I'm just using the binaries in the distribution.
>I installed the dpipe: handler in the distribution, even though
>the docs didn't say to...  (Does it matter that I didn't MOUNT it
>until after startup-sequence finished?)

Dpipe: matters not at all, until you try to use the SCLI server on the
Amiga.  This isn't your problem either.

>My DNETDIR is in /tmp because my home directory is NFS mounted
>from a machine other than the one the modems are on.

Contrary to Matt's claim that the Unix-domain sockets fail when
network-mounted, my DNETDIR is ~/.dnet/ [not actually using "~"] which
is in an NFS-mounted partition.  It works fine.  [SunOS V4.0 BSD Unix]

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (07/21/89)

	You CAN run DNet over a trailblazer, but you have to turn off
    handshaking completely... no xon-xoff or even hardware handshaking.
    I suggest you also turn off compression.

	If it still screws up it might be other things you are going
    through to reach your ultimate destination, like a terminal server
    or something.

:Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
:Contrary to Matt's claim that the Unix-domain sockets fail when
:network-mounted, my DNETDIR is ~/.dnet/ [not actually using "~"] which
:is in an NFS-mounted partition.  It works fine.  [SunOS V4.0 BSD Unix]
:
:Deven

	Turns out that it does work.  But only the machine that
    created the socket can connect to it.  :-)

					-Matt

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/21/89)

On 21 Jul 89 03:56:48 GMT,
dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) said:

Deven> Contrary to Matt's claim that the Unix-domain sockets fail when
Deven> network-mounted, my DNETDIR is ~/.dnet/ [not actually using
Deven> "~"] which is in an NFS-mounted partition.  It works fine.
Deven> [SunOS V4.0 BSD Unix]

Matt> 	Turns out that it does work.  But only the machine that
Matt>     created the socket can connect to it.  :-)

Well, of *course*...  They're Unix-domain sockets, implemented
internally.  But the fact that the actual file system link to the
socket is on an NFS partition doesn't affect it.

Deven