[comp.sys.amiga] hypertext on amiga?

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (06/28/89)

i am rather new to the arena of hypertext stuff. I was wondering if there were
any amiga products, or would one be able to run a mac emulator on the amiga
and run their hypercard software or???

--
Dave Rasmussen, UW Milwaukee Computing Services Division. Uucp: uwmcsd4!dave,
Inet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu, Bitnet: dave%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@INTERBIT

tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) (06/29/89)

	There is a program called "Thinker" out there which is reportedly a
hypertext program, it has gotten very mixed reviews on the net and I myself
have not bought it due to these reviews.
	The AMAX emulator would run hypercard but in practice until they get
a hard disk supported hypercard is of little use.  My friend who has a Mac
says you can barely run it on 2 mac floppies and really need a hard drive
to use hypercard.  You can look at the sample stacks and all on floppies but
if you are doing any work you need a hard disk.
	There have been rumors of hypercard clones for the Amiga floating around
since last fall, so far no products have been seen though.

	Tim Harris (...!sun!mcrware!tim)

carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith x4433) (06/30/89)

In article <3128@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>i am rather new to the arena of hypertext stuff. I was wondering if there were
>any amiga products, or would one be able to run a mac emulator on the amiga
>and run their hypercard software or???

There is a product called "Thinker" that is the only hypertext program I have
found for the Amiga. I am happy with it, using it as an outliner (even just as
an outliner it is better and cheaper than the other outline-only programs I
have seen). I have used it somewhat as a hypertext tool for laying out concepts
and designs and linking them together. I have never used a "real" hypertext
system such as Xanadu or the one at Brown University, so I can't really say how
close this comes to such a system.

It does allow you to use single words or phrases (enclosed in <>) as links to
sections in the same or other documents (if the full path is specified as part
of the link). Labels for sections are defined by enclosing them in () at the
start of a section or paragraph. Synonyms are allowed by separating them with
commas. You may also link to an IFF file, which will be loaded in and displayed
(you choose whether in a window or its own screen). You can also invoke
external commands through links. Whenever a link is followed you have the
choice of displaying it in the current window or its own window through a
pop-up menu.

It is hierarchical as well as having the links I have described, and you may
specify the number of levels displayed under a topic.

I like the use of pop-up menus for almost everything (much nicer than having
to go to the title bar for everything), these appear under the mouse so you
can interact quickly. The authoring is pretty straightforward, and the pop-up
menus allow you to access a number of options with minimum mouse motion. It is
a little weak as a text editor, and has no font effects (bold, etc) or
formatting, but that is not what it is for... All in all, the user interface
is pretty nice. Everything is in RAM so it is pretty fast. It is not copy-
protected.

There are rumors that a hypercard clone is being worked on for the Amiga, but
rumors are just rumors until I can buy the product off the shelf...

You can contact the publisher of Thinker at Poor Person SW, (415)493-7234. Oh,
it costs $80, and has a 30 day guarantee.

>--
>Dave Rasmussen, UW Milwaukee Computing Services Division. Uucp: uwmcsd4!dave,
>Inet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu, Bitnet: dave%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@INTERBIT
>Bellnet: 414-229-5133. "Hey Mister, are you tall?" "Yes I'm tall but who
>are all you weird little wonders?" - Tom 'Tbone' Stankus.

--
			Carlos Smith
			uucp:...!mit-eddie!ileaf!carlos
			Bix:	carlosmith

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (06/30/89)

In article <3128@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:

> i am rather new to the arena of hypertext stuff. I was wondering if
> there were any amiga products, or would one be able to run a mac
> emulator on the amiga and run their hypercard software or???

1.  "Thinker" (Poor Person Software) is advertised as a hypertext
product for the Amiga.

2.  The AMAX Mac emulator (Readysoft) is advertised as capable of
running Hypercard.  I do not know about whether it will run other Mac
hypertext products (e.g. Guide).

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

In <12623@well.UUCP>, shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) writes:
>I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, which is kind of surprising.  I've
>seen several demos of a package called "Ultra Card" -- a HyperCard clone
>designed for the Amiga -- two demos at FAUG and one at the recent Amiga
>show in San Francisco.  The thing was supposed to ship a few weeks ago
>but appears to have slipped.  I'm glad actually, considering how many
>times it crashed ... ;-)

It has just shipped, and Mike Lehman, the author, has posted a 'browser'
version to Compuserve.

>If they can work the bugs out in a timely manner, it looks like it will
>be a fabulous product.  The scripting language has been tailored for the
>Amiga system rather than being a straight port of HyperTalk.  Judging by
>the startup-sequence that the fellow booted from while demo-ing, the
>people behind this really know something about the Amiga.

It seems to still have a few, if not bug, then 'less than optimum user
interface features', but in general, looks like it will evolve into a decent
product.

>It's more than a rumor -- less than a product.  It's entered ...
>The RSN Zone!

... and emerged into the 'NOW" zone.

-larry

--
Real Amiga hackers write printer drivers using Metascope.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (07/09/89)

+-- carlos@zapp.UUCP (Carlos Smith x4433) writes:
| In article <> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
| >any amiga products, or would one be able to run a mac emulator on the amiga
| >and run their hypercard software or???
|
| There are rumors that a hypercard clone is being worked on for the Amiga, but
| rumors are just rumors until I can buy the product off the shelf...

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, which is kind of surprising.  I've
seen several demos of a package called "Ultra Card" -- a HyperCard clone
designed for the Amiga -- two demos at FAUG and one at the recent Amiga
show in San Francisco.  The thing was supposed to ship a few weeks ago
but appears to have slipped.  I'm glad actually, considering how many
times it crashed ... ;-)

If they can work the bugs out in a timely manner, it looks like it will
be a fabulous product.  The scripting language has been tailored for the
Amiga system rather than being a straight port of HyperTalk.  Judging by
the startup-sequence that the fellow booted from while demo-ing, the
people behind this really know something about the Amiga.

It's more than a rumor -- less than a product.  It's entered ...
The RSN Zone!
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (07/10/89)

in article <12623@well.UUCP>, shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) says:
]
] I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, which is kind of surprising.  I've
] seen several demos of a package called "Ultra Card" -- a HyperCard clone
] designed for the Amiga -- two demos at FAUG and one at the recent Amiga
] show in San Francisco.  The thing was supposed to ship a few weeks ago
] but appears to have slipped.  I'm glad actually, considering how many
] times it crashed ... ;-)
]
] It's more than a rumor -- less than a product.  It's entered ...
] The RSN Zone!

The browser for UltraCard and a couple of stacks has been uploaded to
CompuServe a couple of days ago.  It looks like it has real potential, but
it was a bit buggy around the edges.  The president of the company said he'll
be uploading more stacks (and newer versions of the browser) during the
coming weeks too.  He said that they started shipping last week, and was
sorry for the delay.

--
Stephen R. Pietrowicz    UUCP: ...!uunet!modcomp!srp      CIS: 73047,2313
Modcomp -- Home of *REAL* real-time UNIX

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (07/11/89)

Is there a price, company name, address and phone number
where one can gain some additional information about this Ultra Card?
Also what kind of system does it require and what kind of system would
work compfortably with it? (i.e. is hard drive recommended?)

Thanks in anticipation.
- Jason Leigh
jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu

Stuart H. Ferguson comments about UltraCard:

"	If they can work the bugs out in a timely manner, it looks like it will
	be a fabulous product.  The scripting language has been tailored for the
	Amiga system rather than being a straight port of HyperTalk.  Judging by
	the startup-sequence that the fellow booted from while demo-ing, the
	people behind this really know something about the Amiga.
"

Wellllll, your friend and mine, Mike Lehman, is the author of UltraCard.

For those who "oh-so-quickly-forget", his MaxiComm was the FIRST-ON-THE-SHELF
3rd-party commercial product EVER for the Amiga.  Mike also ran and operated
the Amiga Developers' Exchange BBS in Monterey, CA, during the early days of
the Amiga.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu (07/12/89)

rE: ULTRACARD, is the browser available via FTP?  and are the
stacks compatible/convertible with MAC Stacks?  Not that it's
required, but it would open some doors.

Thanks for the info,

Steve Brady

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (07/13/89)

In article <58058@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>In article <3128@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>> i am rather new to the arena of hypertext stuff. I was wondering if
>> there were any amiga products, or would one be able to run a mac
>> emulator on the amiga and run their hypercard software or???
>1.  "Thinker" (Poor Person Software) is advertised as a hypertext
but the good news is,
according to amazing computing, a system called UltraCard. this
is as close to the real thing as anything
has come so far. I guess if they start to sell it
maybe apple won't sue them ... that could be why the screens
and such look so different from HyperCard*- in the version
in AC the screens are more colorful but not quite as clean
looking as hypercard. ANybody had a chance to try UltraCard out?
ron
* HyperCard is a trademark of Apple. There, i said it, please, no,
no lawyers, ahhhh, no no no lawyers, get back !!!!!

frerking@lll-lcc.UUCP (Chistopher Frerking) (07/15/89)

In article <11605@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <58058@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>>In article <3128@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>>> i am rather new to the arena of hypertext stuff. I was wondering if
>>> there were any amiga products, or would one be able to run a mac
>>> emulator on the amiga and run their hypercard software or???
>>1.  "Thinker" (Poor Person Software) is advertised as a hypertext
>but the good news is,
>according to amazing computing, a system called UltraCard. this
>is as close to the real thing as anything
>has come so far. I guess if they start to sell it
>maybe apple won't sue them ... that could be why the screens
>and such look so different from HyperCard*- in the version
>in AC the screens are more colorful but not quite as clean
>looking as hypercard. ANybody had a chance to try UltraCard out?
>ron
>* HyperCard is a trademark of Apple. There, i said it, please, no,
>no lawyers, ahhhh, no no no lawyers, get back !!!!!

I have had UltraCard now for a few days, and used it enough to make a few
quick comments.

1. UltraCard is a very nice package - it does just about everything
H_perCard does, and more... It handles color nicely, and allows detection
of regions according to color. It allows asynchronous envocation of
external programs. Acording to the documentation (I haven't tried this
yet),  it includes an ARexx port, and can send ARexx commands, or have
events signalled by by ARexx.

2. UltraCard allows you to choose an external editor and paint program in
which to edit scripts, and paint card backgrounds, etc. In fact, since
painting can't be done in UltraCard, you will need to specify an external
paint program.

3. The scripting language is nice - very similar to H_perTalk, but with Amiga
enhancements.

4. A good selection of built-in functions is included, and with the "Developers
Package" due out this month, it will be possible to add any functions you
like to the scripting language. (I believe the developer tools are supposed
to cost $25)

5. Unfortunately, like many new products, UltraCard is not very stable - It
currently contains many small annoying bugs, and has an annoying tendency
to call up the guru on occasion (esp. when exiting a stack). It also doesn't
seem to like some commonly run software - most notably FastFonts, which
seems to cause its built in editor to do strange things. I expect that these
problems to be fixed in the near future.

In short, UltraCard is a nice product, with a lot of promise, but it is
currently a bit too buggy for regular use.

If anyone wants more info, email me at "frerking@lll-lcc.llnl.gov".

DISCLAIMER - I have no affiliation with Intuitive Technologies except as
a customer.

-Chris (frerking@lll-lcc.llnl.gov)

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/18/89)

[lots of comments about UltraCard deleted]

Does UltraCard read Hypercard stacks?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/18/89)

In article <18755@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>Does UltraCard read Hypercard stacks?

No.

You can do Hypercard sorts of things, but it does not read stacks created
on a Mac.  (There is a lot of machine dependent stuff in the stacks.)
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

SAC.42AD-LGX@e.isi.edu (07/22/89)

>>Does Ultracard read Hypercard stacks?

> No

It seems that the AC article mentioned a company interested in
converting Hypercard stacks into UltraCard stacks.  Is this a
pipe dream or a feasible conversion action?  If it is convertible
it seems that this is a great idea for some young PROGRAMMER TYPE
(certainly NOT me) - I don't know a Byte from a bite, well one
hurts in the pocketbook the other just hurts...

I would be willing to pay for such a utility (at least the $50.00
similar to the cost of the program...

Steve Brady