[comp.sys.amiga] Mouse buttons

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (07/03/89)

Well in my week of discontent (the hard drive, and NOW my MOuse)
can anyone tell me where to purchase Amiga mouse button switches???

Second.. Creative Computers has been advertizing the Boing! Mouse for
$99.95

This IS Dale's mouse product right???

Any negative things to say about Creative Computers???

Any better prices anywhere???

thanks.

JpC
Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP
Amiga-L@uregina1.bitnet List moderator.

Heisenberg might have been here...

u586182058ea@vega.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000010000;0;340;143;) (07/04/89)

I've yet to find one single game from Psygnosis compatible with
my A2500 (in 68020 mode). It's pretty irritating to have to boot
in 68000 mode all the time.

    - Frank Kuan

------------------------------------------------------         Quantum _\/_
919 Drake CellBlock 146   Bruce (6502 RULES!) Rogers        |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
Davis, Ca 95616           Quantum Duck Software,           |\ \______/ / \\\
916-753-1169              u586182058ea@vega.ucdavis.edu   |\ <  <     |   \/

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (07/05/89)

In article <8907031413.AA11261@jade.berkeley.edu>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
> can anyone tell me where to purchase Amiga mouse button switches???

I had posted a message a while ago regarding mouse button
replacement switches.  Our club bought a bunch of genuine
replacement switches (the exact ones in the mouse now) and are
selling them for $4.00 a set (2 switches) plus instructions.
(a lot of folks responded to this offer - hope you have all had
good luck).  If you, or anyone else is still interested, you can
either e-mail me, or send $4.00 to;
George Gibeau, Jr.
Dept. of Biology - ML06
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio  45221-0006

(i do not think this is commercial -it is for our club :-))

Regards,
	George

--
Defination of HELL - A room full of MACS with all the right software
                     ............on 5.25" disks     ;-)

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/05/89)

Yes that is Dale's boing mouse. A very nice mouse, if I may add. I have one
in my sweaty little palms right as we speak! :)  VERY NICE!

And you can do alot better on the price than $99.95. Abel supply sells them
for around $80 last I looked. 615-428-5100.

NO COMMENT on Creative Computers...

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

lively@sunybcs.uucp (Richard S. Lively) (07/05/89)

As long as this is getting discussed, my mouse just died and I am considering
getting a Boing! Mouse.  Does anyone have any reviews of it?

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (07/06/89)

Fantastic, incredible, smooth, accurate, well made, and it handles like a
Porshe Carrea.

Dale, Can I have the five bucks now?

Seriousl though the unit I have has been all over the US with me and even had
someone spill orange juice all over it, I did not know about this until two
weks later and the stuff was a little dry to say the least. I took it and
dipped it into the sink with Hot water and then dried it off with a hair drier.
It has worked perfectly ever since and not a problem has come up. The thing
I like the best is the accuracy of the mouse, I do a lot of 3D and this enables
me to work faster.  Teh one thing that some people find is that the first time
they go to an opticle mouse is that it has to be kept perpendicular to the pad
at all times or the results will be disconcerting. This took me about an hour
to get used to.  All in all I fel that the Boing! mouse is the best mouse for
the Amiga and that it is also the best value as in price performance.

And lastly I dont have to play with mouse balls anymore.

Rick

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (07/07/89)

In article <7213@cbmvax.UUCP> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) writes:
)
)Fantastic, incredible, smooth, accurate, well made, and it handles like a
)
)              ....  Teh one thing that some people find is that the first time
)they go to an opticle mouse is that it has to be kept perpendicular to the pad
)at all times or the results will be disconcerting.

This is a misperception based on your previous experience (probably exclusive)
with balled mice.  While I have not used the Boing! mouse itself, my
understanding is that it is a Mouse Systems mouse or equivalent, like the one
on my Sun and like the one I bought for my wife's PC (and which would work on
my Amiga very well will a cable converter I think) after she had to have one
and dispaired of ever mastering one with balls (she says she has no eye-hand
coordination, but hey, I've got no complaints).

With an optical mouse, the pad determines what is right and left, and what is
up and down.  It doesn't matter how you hold the mouse or whether it lines up
with the orientation of the pad at all.  If you move the mouse to the right on
the pad, the cursor moves to the right.  Etc.  Many people like this.

With a balled mouse, the cursor moves to the right if you move the mouse to
the right with respect to its current orientation, which could be in an
arbitrary orientation with respect to an external reference frame, such as
my wife's idea of what is right and left, as opposed to up and down, on the
desk top.  Etc.  Many people like this.

An optical mouse does not have to be kept perpendicular to the pad.  But to
move to the right you must move the mouse to the right (as a whole, rotations
don't count) with respect to the pad.

Is this quite clear now?  Or shall I go on.

I thought not.

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/07/89)

YES!! I second what Rick just said! :)  The Boing mouse is GREAT! I highly
suggest you get it. I liked the Amiga mouse, but after using the Boing mouse
you will never want to touch a stock mouse again! Or it's balls! :) :)

p.s. Rick, does CBM know what you do with your mouse? :)

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/07/89)

In article <446@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>In article <7213@cbmvax.UUCP> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) writes:
<)              ....  Teh one thing that some people find is that the first time
<)they go to an opticle mouse is that it has to be kept perpendicular to the pad
<)at all times or the results will be disconcerting.
<  ...
<
<Is this quite clear now?  Or shall I go on.
<
<I thought not.

But the mouse does have to be oriented properly or it does not work.
If you rotate the optical mouse pad 90 degrees with respect to the Sun
mouse, you will find that the pointer does not move properly in all
directions.  It will move horizontally but not vertically (or maybe the
other way around).  That can be quite disconcerting - it makes your nice
new optical mouse act like it's half broken.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (07/07/89)

In article <446@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
$)
In article <446@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Clevland) writes
$
$With an optical mouse, the pad determines what is right and left, and what is
$up and down.  It doesn't matter how you hold the mouse or whether it lines up
$with the orientation of the pad at all.  If you move the mouse to the right on
$the pad, the cursor moves to the right.  Etc.  Many people like this.

This is partially true and partially false,  First you claim that the Pad
determines what is up and down, which after thinking about it is absolutely
correct.  But then you contradict yourself by stating "It doesnt matter how
you hold the mouse or wether it lines up with the orientation of the pad at
all".  This is where I disagree completely, I am using the Boing! mouse at this
very minute and if I turn the orientation of the pad to be where moving the
mouse to the right or the left will move corner to corner relative to the mouse
pad then the pointer on the screen will move in a diagonal line between the
lower left and upper right corners.  What this means is that (and this came
from Dale himself) due to the mouse using two light sources and the pad having
two distinctly different sets of lines (One is visible light the other is
infrared, Visible is left to right and Infrared is up and down) Then how you
hold the mouse relative to the pad is very important.  I will say that there
is an amount of forgivable skew that can be applied to the mouse where the
results obtained are just less accurate rather than disconcerting to the new
user.  I still feel that this is the best mouse for the job and the best mouse
won!
$

$With a balled mouse, the cursor moves to the right if you move the mouse to
$the right with respect to its current orientation, which could be in an
$arbitrary orientation with respect to an external reference frame, such as
$my wife's idea of what is right and left, as opposed to up and down, on the
$desk top.  Etc.  Many people like this.
$
$An optical mouse does not have to be kept perpendicular to the pad.  But to
$move to the right you must move the mouse to the right (as a whole, rotations
$don't count) with respect to the pad.
$

This is the same statement and it is still wrong, You cannot rotate the mouse in
other that 90 or 180 degree increments relative to the pad.  Even if you only
rotate it 90 degrees the results are far less than perfect due to the
resolution difference in the lines running through the pad.

Also if your Wife has trouble with hand and eye coordination then I would think
a "balled" mouse (Read Happy) would be less troublesome due to the fact that all
she would have to do to move the mouse in a specific direction would be to push
it that way relative to her own hand and not the pad. Which is exactly the way
mouse of my artist friends use thier's and are very happy with it.

Is this quite clear now?  Or shall I go on.

Its clear to me but you can go over it again if you want to. %^)
--

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/07/89)

In article <20189@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>YES!! I second what Rick just said! :)  The Boing mouse is GREAT! I highly
>suggest you get it. I liked the Amiga mouse, but after using the Boing mouse
>you will never want to touch a stock mouse again! Or it's balls! :) :)

	Lest anybody think that optical mice are great and ball mice aren't:

	I don't like optical mice; I like ball mice.  This issue
is a matter or personal preference, not case of absolute technological
superiority.

	After all, we all see the periodic posting asking
"what is the BEST ... (computer/hard disk/mouse/sexual position/etc.)?" and
seriously expect a simple answer!

	So just to be completely clear, those of you who like optical mice:
Great!  Glad you like them.  Personally, I don't.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (07/07/89)

In article <7235@cbmvax.UUCP> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) writes:
) [many fine things, some about my wife]

[Let me also say that my following statements are based on experience with
a Sun and a AT with a Mouse Systems mouse.  I had thought that all optical
mice would behave the same way on all systems but it now occurs to me that
the drivers on the Sun and the AT were specifically written for an optical
mouse while the driver on the Amiga was written for a balled mouse but
can be used with an optical one.  Can anyone with access to both look for
differences or see how the signals from an optical mouse could be used
to make it less sensitive to orientation?]

Before everybody jumps all over me and we waste even more bandwidth,
			LET ME ADMIT ERROR.

(I knew you would.)

I did, yes truly, I did overstate things as regards the lack of effect of
orientation on an optical mouse.  I can only rotate the mouse on the Sun
through about 75 degrees to either side of the normally aligned direction
without trouble.  Between rotations of about 75 and 105 the pointer doesn't
move as far (at exactly 90 degrees it doesn't move at all) and from 105 to 180
degrees it moves backwards (of course, or it would matter whether you put
the mouse pad down upside down.)  Close to 90 degrees small errors in
orientation can make the behavior seem erratic.  Some gradual change in
effective resolution at smaller angles seems probable but my casual tests of
distance of mouse movement for the pointer to cross the screen as a function
of orientation of the mouse showed no evidence of it.

Note again that this is on a Sun.  I believe my wife's mouse on her AT behaves
the same way though I have used it far less, and haven't performed any
experiments with it.

My wife's eye-hand coordination comes into this because when things don't
work the way she expects, she has trouble figuring out what she is doing
wrong.  She has always hated mice, both on the Mac and the Amiga, but likes
trackballs.  When I introduced her to the Amiga it was clear that she
couldn't understand why when she moved her hand to the right on the desk the
pointer moved diagonally, and she became quite exasperated.  Of course, the
mouse orientation didn't line up with the desk.  Hence when you complained
that the orientation of your optical mouse had to be lined up with the edges
of the pad, bells went off.  They said 'BONG!  Hey, that depends on personal
perspective!'.  I wish they would shut up.

She on the other hand really likes her optical mouse and has had no trouble
with it at all.
--

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed J Hanway CUST) (07/08/89)

In article <447@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>[Let me also say that my following statements are based on experience with
>a Sun and a AT with a Mouse Systems mouse.  I had thought that all optical
>mice would behave the same way on all systems but it now occurs to me that
>the drivers on the Sun and the AT were specifically written for an optical
>mouse while the driver on the Amiga was written for a balled mouse but
>can be used with an optical one.  Can anyone with access to both look for
>differences or see how the signals from an optical mouse could be used
>to make it less sensitive to orientation?]

Written for one kind of mouse? Say what? I have a Mouse Systems M3 on my
Amiga and it sends the same quadrature signals that the old "ball" mouse did.

>Note again that this is on a Sun.  I believe my wife's mouse on her AT behaves
>the same way though I have used it far less, and haven't performed any
>experiments with it.

Unless it's really wierd, a mouse can only SEND signals to the computer, so
its behavior should be the same on any system it is connected to. I can back
that up with experience on my Amiga and a Sun.  Yeah, if you rotate an optical
mouse 90 degrees, funny stuff will happen, but I've found mine very
forgiving, and I never find myself consciously straightening the mouse.

I'll admit an optical mouse has a DIFFERENT feel, but it's one which I adapted
to quickly. Eliminating the squeaky ball was reason enough!

>--
>"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure
>
>Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
>UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

--
Ed Hanway
Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh

scott@ssgp32.UU.NET (Scott Evernden) (07/08/89)

In article <7641@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> 	I don't like optical mice; I like ball mice.  This issue
> is a matter or personal preference, not case of absolute technological
> superiority.

I agree with joe.

Sooner or later your optical mouse's felt pads will become encrusted
and packed with skin goo.  This is the same skin goo that cruds up
your mouse ball rollers.  But with the felt pads, you have to scrape
and gouge to get the crud out.  When the humidity is wrong, the
thing just doesn't glide across its pad anymore and becomes less than
fun to use.  You'll find yourself windex'ing that pad a lot too.

In my experience, I have encountered far more workstations supplied with
mechanical mice- very few use the optical version.  I wonder why?

An advantage of optical mice, given the dual sensors, is that you can
determine the rotation of the mouse as an additional input valuator.
A long time ago, Sun had some demo drawing program which used this
feature.

-scott

--
Scott Evernden            PRIME Computer Inc.
scott@ssgp32.Prime.COM    Commercial Systems Group

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (07/08/89)

In article <1713@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
>In article <8907031413.AA11261@jade.berkeley.edu>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>> can anyone tell me where to purchase Amiga mouse button switches???
I have recently discovered that this type of switch is made by Omron and is
one of their B3F series  The part numbers are

		 Standard (.3*10^6 operations) B3F-4000

		 Long Life (10*10^6 operations) B3F-5000

		 Gold Plated (10*10^6 operations) B3F-5001

Yes I realize that the last two have the same life, but the gold switch is touted as 'high reliability'.

Omron's Canadian number is 416-298-9988 and they are distributed by Future/
Active components, Zentronics and Prelco. Omron also has a U.S. office in
Schaumburg Ill USA. Phone # unknown, and offices in many major cities
worldwide.

DISCLAIMER: I am not connected to Omron in any way, have just received their
catalog and haven't actually purchased any switches yet.

			       <<<Doug>>>

			       douglee@becker

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (07/11/89)

In article <7213@cbmvax.UUCP> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) writes:
)
)Fantastic, incredible, smooth, accurate, well made, and it handles like a
)
)              ....  Teh one thing that some people find is that the first time
)they go to an opticle mouse is that it has to be kept perpendicular to the pad
)at all times or the results will be disconcerting.

btw:  I just purchased a surplus Sun Mouse, (Blue x Grey lined pad) only to find
that it has a serial interface,  Anyone know where to tie in to get the raw
quadratature signals from this mouse?  Help greatly appreciated.

                           -Sullivan Segall

/V\  Sullivan  was the first to learn how to jump  without moving.
 '   Is it not proper that the student should surpass the teacher?
To Quote the immortal Socrates: "I drank what?" -Sullivan

Mail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Sullivan or
         Sullivan@cup.portal.com

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed J Hanway CUST) (07/12/89)

In article <20308@cup.portal.com> Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) writes:
>btw:  I just purchased a surplus Sun Mouse, (Blue x Grey lined pad) only to find
>that it has a serial interface,  Anyone know where to tie in to get the raw
>quadratature signals from this mouse?  Help greatly appreciated.

Since most Sun mice I've seen are Mouse System M3's, this may be of interest:

Inside my Mouse Systems M3 serial mouse is a row of 10 holes with pin 1
closer to the center of the mouse. Wired as follows, it works perfectly
on my Amiga:

	Mouse	Amiga
	  1 ----- 9
	  2 ----- 5
	  3 ----- 6
	  4 ----- 1
	  5 ----- 3
	  6 ----- 4
	  7 ----- 8
	  8 ----- 7
	  9 ----- 2
	 10 NC

All you need is a length of nine-conductor wire, a DB-9S connector, and
minimal soldering skills and you're set.

This probably doesn't apply to other Mouse Systems mice, like the M2 and M4,
and may not even be true for other revisions of the M3. Be warned.

Before I discovered this, I wrote a serial mouse driver which worked fine
for most "normal" programs, but the code that handles gurus (i.e.
"Press left mouse button to continue") apparently reads the mouse hardware
directly (what else can it do?) and doesn't respond.  If there's any
interest in this code, I'll make it available.
--

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (07/14/89)

>In article <20308@cup.portal.com> Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) writes:
>>btw:  I just purchased a surplus Sun Mouse, (Blue x Grey lined pad) only to find
>>that it has a serial interface,  Anyone know where to tie in to get the raw
>>quadratature signals from this mouse?  Help greatly appreciated.
>

>Before I discovered this, I wrote a serial mouse driver which worked fine
>for most "normal" programs, but the code that handles gurus (i.e.
>"Press left mouse button to continue") apparently reads the mouse hardware
>directly (what else can it do?) and doesn't respond.  If there's any
>interest in this code, I'll make it available.
>--
>Ed Hanway
>Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh
>#include <std_disclaimer.h>

I'd be very interested in your code (if you are willing, you could
submit it to comp.sources.amiga (or binaries) as an example of alternative
input drivers.  -- next step, proportional joystick pointers, light gun
pointers, koala pad pointers...)  Btw: many thanks for the conversion
instructions.  I do in fact have a mousesystems something or other.  I'll
try the mod out asap. Thanks again. -ss

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (07/22/89)

>>In article <20308@cup.portal.com> Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) writes:
>>Before I discovered this, I wrote a serial mouse driver which worked fine

>>directly (what else can it do?) and doesn't respond.  If there's any
>>interest in this code, I'll make it available.
>>--
>>Ed Hanway
>>Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh
>>#include <std_disclaimer.h>
>
>I'd be very interested in your code (if you are willing, you could

     I would also be very interested in your code. Please DO post it to
  comp.sources.amiga. (Rather, please get it to the manager of that group.)

     Please?

     Thanks, Don White
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177