[comp.sys.amiga] Floppy select light stays on forever, disk is hung.

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/17/89)

Recently, I have been seeing problem with the LED on the floppy disk not
going out.  The disk stays selected, but is not reading or writing.
Sometimes putting a floppy in the OTHER disk would clear up the problem,
but not always.  It seems to have started after I installed a hard disk.

Sound familiar?

I found the answer in Amazing Computing, Vol 4 #2, Feb, 1989, page 38.
Central Coast Software, creators of DOS-2-DOS and QuarterBack, found a bug in
the trackdisk.device.  When the system is polling all empty drives to check if
a new floppy has been inserted, sometimes it releases a different floppy
drive that should still be busy.  The task accessing the disk waits patiently
for a signal that never arrives.

The workaround is to keep disks in all floppy drives at all times.

(The harddisk made it more likely for me to have a floppy in one drive but
not one in the other.)
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) (07/20/89)

In article <429@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
<Recently, I have been seeing problem with the LED on the floppy disk not
<going out.  The disk stays selected, but is not reading or writing.
<Sometimes putting a floppy in the OTHER disk would clear up the problem,
<but not always.  It seems to have started after I installed a hard disk.
<
<Sound familiar?
<
<I found the answer in Amazing Computing, Vol 4 #2, Feb, 1989, page 38.
<Central Coast Software, creators of DOS-2-DOS and QuarterBack, found a bug in
<the trackdisk.device.  When the system is polling all empty drives to check if
<a new floppy has been inserted, sometimes it releases a different floppy
<drive that should still be busy.  The task accessing the disk waits patiently
<for a signal that never arrives.
<
<The workaround is to keep disks in all floppy drives at all times.
<
<(The harddisk made it more likely for me to have a floppy in one drive but
<not one in the other.)
<--
<Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
<McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
<PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
<San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"

Curious.  On my 1.3 ROM 2000 I have three internal drives (df0: & df1: are 3.5",
df2: is a 5.25") and since I frequently boot off RAD:, one or more of my
drives are usually empty.  I don't have a hard disk, and I have yet to
encounter this problem.  Are there any other conditions needed before this
bug manifests itself?

--John Lee
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/22/89)

In article <299@sed170.HAC.COM> lee@sed170.UUCP (John Lee (ird)) writes:
>    ... since I frequently boot off RAD:, one or more of my
>drives are usually empty.  I don't have a hard disk, and I have yet to
>encounter this problem.  Are there any other conditions needed before this
>bug manifests itself?

The bug is coincidence driven.  You have to be doing disk i/o at the exact
instance DOS is clicking the drives, and even then it only happens sometimes.
The problem is also mentioned in the latest issue of Amiga+ (the one with
Indiana Jones on the cover).  In that article, the bug is described as
occuring most often when doing a lot of consecutive floppy writes, such as
backing up a hard disk to floppy.