[comp.sys.amiga] Speed of the serial port

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/22/89)

In article <791@medsys.UUCP> bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) writes:
>Was this guy serious when he said the Amiga's serial port couldn't run above
>19,200 baud??? Call him back and ask if he's ever seen EMIT. It's PD, and
>allows two Amigas connected by serial cable to transfer files at 280,000 baud.
>-Wendell Dingus

Transmitting and receiving at that speed is possible if:
  1) the transfer is from one Amiga to another Amiga only,
  2) only one system is transmitting at a time (half duplex), and
  3) interrupts are completely disabled on both machines (no multitasking).

Outrageous transfer rates are not reasonable since DECnet involves talking to
other computers at standard baud rates, uses simultaneous bidirectional
transmission, and is used in a multitasking environment.  The hardware
cannot reliably read faster than 19200 with interrupts enabled.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms