[comp.sys.amiga] Bulletin Board systems, size/coverage

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (07/21/89)

Some months ago, there appeared what was called THE FINAL LIST of Amiga
supporting bulletin board systems nationwide, compiled by a fella named
Chet Solace.   What was not (could not?) be indicated in that list is the
relative size and membership of each of those systems.  I am a member of
People Link, Compuserve, Genie, and BIX.  If, as a software/book vendor,
I wanted to do a posting that would reach the largest number of Amiga
folks, I'd want to post to all of the networks of which I am a member, and
to choose the 2, 10, 40, 80, whatever number of Amiga BBS's which have the
highest exposure to the Amiga community.  Does anyone on Usenet have some
experience using THE FINAL LIST, and thus knows which boards are the most
likely candidates for product announcements?  More bang for the buck, right?

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Rob Peck

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (07/22/89)

E G L I N   A F B
                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      21-Jul-1989 07:12 CDT
                                        From:      CALVIN JONES
                                                   JONES
                                        Dept:      3200SPTW/SCX  (Plans)
                                        Tel No:    904-882-3550

TO:  _DDN[@uv4.eglin.af.mil:amiga-relay-request@louie.udel.edu]

Subject: RE: Bulletin Board systems, size/coverage

> From: Rob Peck <rap@peck.ardent.com>
> Date: 20 Jul 89 22:35:32 GMT

>	Some months ago, there appeared what was called THE FINAL LIST of
>	Amiga supporting bulletin board systems nationwide, compiled by a
>	fella named Chet Solace.   What was not (could not?) be indicated
>	in that list is the relative size and membership of each of those
>	systems.  I am a member of People Link, Compuserve, Genie, and
>	BIX.  If, as a software/book vendor, I wanted to do a posting
>	that would reach the largest number of Amiga folks, I'd want to
>	post to all of the networks of which I am a member, and to choose
>	the 2, 10, 40, 80, whatever number of Amiga BBS's which have the
>	highest exposure to the Amiga community.  Does anyone on Usenet
>	have some experience using THE FINAL LIST, and thus knows which
>	boards are the most likely candidates for product announcements?
>	More bang for the buck, right?
>
>	Thanks in advance for feedback.
>

>	Rob Peck

Chet's latest versions of The Final List (tm) contain enough information
to help you make an educated guess as to which BBSs to call, but you need
to be a bit familiar with "BBSing" to use it effectively.

First, many BBS's are members of the FidoNet and carry the AMIGA national
echo. If you call ONE of these BBSs and post your message on the echo, it
will (perhaps slowly) make it to all of the other BBSs that carry that
echo.  PLEASE don't post the same message to several BBSs that all carry
the AMIGA echo.  That's happened before, and it can generate a LOT of
useless bits (mainly from the comments that follow the posts.)

As for the BBSs that do not carry the echo, you can make your decision
based either on the ratings that are assigned to the message traffic and
file selection, or you could select based on the comments since Chet has
rated the top BBSs (in his opinion) in each state and many area codes.

Make sure that the BBSs you pick support 9600bps HST modems even if you
don't have one.  Posting on a highly ranked BBS with HST support will
pretty much guarantee that the post will be picked up by several LD
callers and posted in other sections of the country.

And, finally, I'd like to volunteer to help with the Hobbit Hole. 800
users, 330Meg online, 9600HST, Ranked #1 in Florida.  904-243-6219.

   --- Cal Jones

Single Tasking?  JUST SAY NO!
~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~  ~~~~ ~~~ ~~~

rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) (07/22/89)

Well I'm also a sysop in the South Bay area of Southern California, and I run
a system that is connected to WWIVnet which currently contains around 315
systems nationwide.. We've got two national message boards that are strictly
Amiga Only.. That's another way to go.

|               Caution, Assembly Language Programmer at Play!                |
|             UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!rickf             |
|             INET: rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com                                  |
+=============================================================================+

chen@.ucalgary.ca (Lawrence [The Dreamer] Chen) (07/24/89)

In article <7418@ardent.UUCP> rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) writes:
>I wanted to do a posting that would reach the largest number of Amiga
>folks, I'd want to post to all of the networks of which I am a member, and
>to choose the 2, 10, 40, 80, whatever number of Amiga BBS's which have the
>highest exposure to the Amiga community.  Does anyone on Usenet have some
>experience using THE FINAL LIST, and thus knows which boards are the most
>likely candidates for product announcements?  More bang for the buck, right?

I've never seen THE FINAL LIST, but try calling a Citadel-68K system with an
'Amiga)' room.  This is the Citadelnet equivalent to the FidoNet Amiga Echo
room...roughly.  Some systems that come to mind immediately for carrying this
room are Lunatic Haven [403 239 1225], Full Circle [612 894 9918] and Poopsie
[403 288 4481]....they all run at 2400 bps...and the first two are
Citadel-68K's, Poopsie is an STadel-ST.

>Thanks in advance for feedback.
>

>Rob Peck

     / internet: Chen@Enel.UCalgary.CA       ___ Lunatic Haven BBS
    /         or Chen@Gumby.UCalgary.CA     /    [CA 403 239 1225]
 "I'm crazy, I don't work for anybody, and I'm having fun"
 BITNET: Chen%Daffy@UNCAEDU  or  LChen@UNCAMULT      - The Dreamer
         Chen%Mv2@UNCAEDU    or  Chen%Mv4@UNCAEDU