[comp.sys.amiga] Portable Keyboard for A500?

chrisd@oregon.uoregon.edu (07/13/89)

(This has probably been asked, but I don't remember seeing it recently...)

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a detachable keyboard for the
500??

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (07/14/89)

It should be real simple.  Open up your 500 and look how the keyboard
is hooked up.  One set of power/data cables and a ground.

Just extend the cables and you should be set.

| -Al Harrington                   /// "The next thing I say to you will   |
|                                 ///      be true.                        |
| alh@hprmo.HP.COM            \\\///    The last thing I said was false."  |
| ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh  \XX/                     -Devo              |
|         My comments in no way reflect the views or opinions of HP        |

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (07/16/89)

In article <5246@oregon.uoregon.edu> chrisd@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>(This has probably been asked, but I don't remember seeing it recently...)
>
>Does anyone know if it is possible to make a detachable keyboard for the
>500??
If you take it apart, the keyboard unplugs from the motherboard, so you could
repackage it or use a 1000/2000 keyboard with the appropriate electrical
connections being made. <<<Doug Lee>>>

marc@cbmvax.UUCP (Marc Rifkin - CATS) (07/17/89)

 Barring any voidances of your warranty, you can (if you can't get a
1000 or 2000 keyboard) attach an 8-line wire to make an extension
cord of sorts.  A friend of mine has connected a 8-pin D connector to
his motherboard and uses a "joystick extension" cable to allow him to
use his keyboard outside of his computer.  He then has his computer
vertically stacked next to his desk (raised so the DF0: is accesable),
and built a case for his keyboard. -An interesting idea that frees
up alot of desk space.

Again, by doing so, as in any time you open a computer, you're tampering
with the chances to do something unintentionally bad.

--
Marc Rifkin -- C. A. T. S.
{uunet|allegra|rutgers}!cbmvax!marc

easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) (07/18/89)

In article <7329@cbmvax.UUCP>, marc@cbmvax.UUCP (Marc Rifkin - CATS) writes:

> cord of sorts.  A friend of mine has connected a 8-pin D connector to
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> his motherboard and uses a "joystick extension" cable to allow him to
> use his keyboard outside of his computer.  He then has his computer
> --
> Marc Rifkin -- C. A. T. S.

  Your friend hasnt been shopping in the Far East for those funny
D connectors again, has he?  Last time we all wound up using DB-23's.
:> :> :> :>

  I'll betcha he settled for a local source that had DB-9's. :>

Jeff Easton		UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton
Zenith Data Systems	OEM Engineering

In article <7329@cbmvax.UUCP>, marc@cbmvax.UUCP (Marc Rifkin - CATS) writes:

> cord of sorts.  A friend of mine has connected a 8-pin D connector to
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> his motherboard and uses a "joystick extension" cable to allow him to
> use his keyboard outside of his computer.  He then has his computer
> --
> Marc Rifkin -- C. A. T. S.

What he "probably" meant to say was "8-pin DIN connector" like the "TV MOD"
jack on the back of the A1000 into which one can plug either:

1) the Amiga TV Modulator (which, from stories I've been hearing, means I must
  have one of the few ever made; mine has "FCC ID: BR976F-3406" on it along with
  "Lot No. 951T"; made by CBM in Japan, sold in an Amiga-style box emblazoned
  "AMIGA/TV Switch Box/RF Modulator/ RF Cable"; bought mine in Dec. 1985 at the
  local Amiga dealer, HT Electronics in Sunnyvale CA.,
2) an 8-pin DIN plug to bring the audio out to another "target" (e.g. amp,
  monitor, whatever)

Actually, the 8-pin DIN connector isn't too shabby; I've seen these used on a
lot of other items.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) (07/24/89)

>(This has probably been asked, but I don't remember seeing it recently...)
>
>Does anyone know if it is possible to make a detachable keyboard for the
>500??

Hacksaw.

(Vince Lee)