[comp.sys.amiga] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.harddrives

david@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (07/19/89)

In article <7345@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
>How about comp.sys.amiga.harddrives?
>
>There are SO many postings about "which drive is better" prices, configuration
>of various controllers, etc.

Ok, so I made a wide cross-posting ... but the newsgroup formation rules
say to make a cross-posting to all relavant groups.

I *know* that discussions of hard disks happen in all the comp.sys
groups.  What's the best one, what's compatible with what, and
so on.

What say we create comp.sys.harddrives? -- or some such.  Comp.periphs
is the closest relavant group that I ever found, but the discussion
just doesn't happen there.  At least not that I've seen.

	comp.{sys,periphs}.hard{drives,disks}

are the possible names which come to mind.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

aok@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (jacobs) (07/20/89)

  I, for one, am a great believer in the Amiga.  One idea that sounded
pretty good proposed the creation of comp.sys.amiga.expansion.

  Well, so much for my $.02

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (07/20/89)

In article <12213@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>In article <7345@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:

How about comp.periphs.harddisk?

*** REMEMBER TO POST ALL DISCUSSION TO news.groups ***
*** PUT news.groups ON THE Followup-To: LINE ***

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (07/20/89)

How about just comp.periphs.  There is virtually no traffic there and readers
of that group could use some interesting facts, figures and comments.

Steve

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (07/22/89)

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 09:06 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.sys.harddrives (was: Re: speaking of new groups...)
To: "Eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

    How about just comp.periphs.  There is virtually no traffic there and readers
    of that group could use some interesting facts, figures and comments.

Why not just cross post if these other groups need help?  I know that I
am interested (as PROBABLY most other readers of comp.sys.amiga{.tech}
are) in what's up with amiga peripherals, so then we just end up with
another news group to search through while killing all the other irrelevant
stuff there.  I say keep the amiga news stuff the way it is; for one
thing, for me and probably some others, getting onto yet another news dist
list will be non trivial, and a waste of my time. (8-o

As far as I can tell the only real valid motivation for creating a new
group is if a major category of the information going to one group is
not of interest to all/most of the members of that group.  And if the
people on comp.periphs are bored, they can just come join us here! :-)

monty kosma

groups...)
[discussion about group for discussion about hard disks]

Well most people will be more interested in how to hook up a hard drive to
their particular computer, rather than a general discussion about the hard
drives themselves. I think that's what brought this discussion about in the
first place.

I, for one, neither want to listen to other people talk about how to hook IBM
or Apple, or Atari hard drives up, nor want to subject those people to
discussion on how to hook up an Amiga with a hard drive. Even though the hard
drives themselves may be the same for each computer, hooking them up, mounting,
and formatting them is different for each type of computer. I think the
discussion of how to hook peripherals to a particular brand should stay in the
particular comp.sys.* group for that computer.

So let's keep Amiga hard drives in comp.sys.amiga, IBM hard drives in
comp.sys.ibm-pc, etc. If you want to discuss the hard drives themselves, then
you can use comp.sys.periphs (I think that's the name of the newsgroup).

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
When Marriage is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Inlaws.