[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 Scrolling

bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) (07/20/89)

I am looking for a VT100 program that supports smooth scrolling (you
know, one pixel vertically at a time, just like the real thing.)

I really like VLT because it lets me use my own custom font, but
smooth scrolling would A) make reading news a LOT easier on my eyes, and
B) make for a nice effect in a science fiction TV program I am co-
producing here at KBVR.

So, do any such programs exist, and is the author of VLT listening?  I
just can't bear to part with that program, but I need smooth scrolling.

Thanks,
| Bob Richardson     (or, for you UNIX buffs: bob@jacobs.cs.orst.edu) |
| 218 NW 21st #2           Corvallis, OR  97330          503-758-5018 |
| "They have taken my Jesus and locked him up in a church!" - Unknown |

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/20/89)

On 20 Jul 89 01:49:43 GMT,
bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) said:

robert> I am looking for a VT100 program that supports smooth
robert> scrolling (you know, one pixel vertically at a time, just like
robert> the real thing.)

I'm not sure, but check out meshugena.  It's an excellent VT220
emulator (with a VT100 mode) with UW support as well.  I posted it to
comp.binaries.amiga awhile back, and it finally appeared recently.  I
don't recall if it supports smooth scrolling, but it may.  The
documentation makes mo mention of it, yet it does mention "jump
scroll" at one point.  (apparently as a mode select)  So, it may be
worth looking into.

robert> I really like VLT because it lets me use my own custom font,
robert> but smooth scrolling would A) make reading news a LOT easier
robert> on my eyes, and B) make for a nice effect in a science fiction
robert> TV program I am co-producing here at KBVR.

Never used VLT.  (mostly because of the size)

robert> So, do any such programs exist, and is the author of VLT
robert> listening?  I just can't bear to part with that program, but I
robert> need smooth scrolling.

Meshugena is an *excellent* VT220 emulator, extended with UW support,
but that's all.  No file transfer or graphics.  It DOES have
scrollbars, however.  (scrollback buffer chows memory, though.)

Myself, I prefer DNet...  Until I write something better.  :-)

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/21/89)

Robert, There is a VERY nice program called Handshake for folks that
need TRUE VT100 emulation. And guess what... it does smooth scrolling!!

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

kiron@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale) (07/21/89)

Well, I don't use VLT, but I know that Handshake V2.12a has got smoot
scroll built in.... it is on one of the Fish disks (don't know which...
sorry :-))

Kiron

 Kiron D. Bondale       Concordia University, Mtl., Quebec, Canada
 "Never mourn Black Omne" ___Habitat:kiron@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/22/89)

As others have mentioned, the program Handshake from Eric Haberfellner
does smooth scrolling.  It also does blinking characters, double width/double
height, and VT100 line-drawing characters.  It's on Fish Disk 172.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (07/23/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Jul20063010@pawl.rpi.edu>, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

> On 20 Jul 89 01:49:43 GMT,
> bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) said:
>
> robert> I am looking for a VT100 program that supports smooth
> robert> scrolling (you know, one pixel vertically at a time, just like
>
> Meshugena is an *excellent* VT220 emulator, extended with UW support,
> but that's all.  No file transfer or graphics.  It DOES have

Handshake does *excellent*^2 VT220 emulation including graphics, double
size characters, smooth scrolling, etc. and does file transfers.

It's shareware, so you should send the author, Eric Haberfellner, a few
bucks if you like it (I did).  Version 2.12a is on fish disk 172.  The latest
version is 2.20a which adds an AREXX port & some other stuff.

I wish 1/2 the *commercial* software for the Amiga was as well written
as handshake.

--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/25/89)

In article <996@clyde.Concordia.CA> kiron@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale) writes:
>Well, I don't use VLT, but I know that Handshake V2.12a has got smoot
>scroll built in.... it is on one of the Fish disks (don't know which...
>sorry :-))
I believe it's on FF 178.  This is really a full featured program
with several emulations including VT102 and VT220.  There are
a large number of transfer protcols with it as well.

                                 - Bear

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/25/89)

Can I ask where you got the latest version of Handshake? I have not seen
a version with AREXX, but would like to check it out. Is it on one of the
fish disks?

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (07/27/89)

In article <20719@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
> Can I ask where you got the latest version of Handshake? I have not seen
> a version with AREXX, but would like to check it out. Is it on one of the
> fish disks?

I think Eric Haberfellner is still making sure that Handshake 2.20a is
bug free on Gazillions of different possible H/W & S/W configurations
before making it a general release.  I think the options for now are
patience for a little bit or knowing how to bug Eric :-)

I probably should have said "next release", rather than "newest
version".