[comp.sys.amiga] Sun

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/26/89)

Ok, I have been generating 'screendump' graphic images on our local Sun
laser printer (LaserWriter) by using 'Clipit' to save the image in IFF,
and ProWrite/ProScript to generate a Postscript file that is then sent
to the Sun fileserver via Dnet and printed with lpr. Not a big problem
for me,

However...

It seems that this neat little A2500 is getting popular to use around
here & the aforementioned method of generating screendump output is a
bit more than anyone besides me is willing to put up with.

Question: Is there a PostScript Printer Driver available such that I
can then use CMD to redirect the file to my print spool directory on
the Sun where it is automagically printed out? (from CMD on has been
accomplished).

Question: Is there an easier way to do this?

Question: Can the Sun laser printer (LaserWriter) interpret graphics
commands generated for the Imagewriter or something like that? (ok, ok,
long shot, I know).

We have developed some neat design software that is peculiar to the
technology I'm in that generates very informative graphics displays.
It would be nice to be able to print them out easily.

Thanks

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
              kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
       "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (07/26/89)

In article <19040@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> wrote:
->Ok, I have been generating 'screendump' graphic images on our local Sun
->laser printer (LaserWriter) by using 'Clipit' to save the image in IFF,
->and ProWrite/ProScript to generate a Postscript file that is then sent
->to the Sun fileserver via Dnet and printed with lpr. Not a big problem
->for me,
->
->However...
->
->It seems that this neat little A2500 is getting popular to use around
->here & the aforementioned method of generating screendump output is a
->bit more than anyone besides me is willing to put up with.
->
->Question: Is there a PostScript Printer Driver available such that I
->can then use CMD to redirect the file to my print spool directory on
->the Sun where it is automagically printed out? (from CMD on has been
->accomplished).
->
->Question: Is there an easier way to do this?

OK, I'll let you in to a little secret.  A friend of mine just finished
writing a little program that installs itself in the background (similar
to POPcli and Dmouse).  This little program responds to a special key
press.  You can specify which key to use, and if you want you can mark
it as the PrtSc key.  Funny, but such a key is already marked on the
A2000 keypad.  Getting back to the program, when you push this key,
a copy of you screen is saved in memory.  This takes less than a second,
and you are notified when it's done by a flash of the screen.  Then
the program processes the screen image and writes it out to a file.
He has two versions, one that writes PostScript output, and one for
the NECP6 printer.  By the way, there is no reason why the output file
could not be called SER: for those that have a PostScript printer
tied to you serial port.

Anyway, I'll check with him to see if I can send it and the sources
to Bob Page so other people can benefit from it.

->Thanks

You're welcome

->=======================================================
->-------------------------------------------------------

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (07/26/89)

In article <19040@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>It seems that this neat little A2500 is getting popular to use around
>here & the aforementioned method of generating screendump output is a
>bit more than anyone besides me is willing to put up with.
>
>Question: Is there a PostScript Printer Driver available such that I
>can then use CMD to redirect the file to my print spool directory on
>the Sun where it is automagically printed out? (from CMD on has been
>accomplished).

	Nothing official from CBM-Amiga but I hear that there is a PD one
on one of the Fish disks.

>Question: Is there an easier way to do this?

	If you had a postscript printer driver you could just use the CMD
program to redirect the output to your Sun (assuming you had both connected
via ethernet).

	For V1.4, I hope to write a simple postscript printer driver that
will translate Amiga standard printer commands to PostScript commands.  This
would make it trivial to hook up a PostScript printer to the Amiga.  For now
you'll have to use the PD one.

	david

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (07/27/89)

[...]

There have been a few IFF to PostScript utilities posted, and you
could have an IconX script that asks for the filename, and spits it
out as PostScript directly.  This would surely be simpler than loading
it into a word processor (no disrespect to ProWrite intended).  If you
do custom programming there anyway, you could write a Workbench tool
that when double clicked on with the IFF image icon also selected (using
the SHIFT key), it could print create a little script and execute it.
The little script would take the project (IFF file) icon name, create
PostScript, and send it out to the Laserwriter.

	Just a thought.

	Paul.