[comp.sys.amiga] Trouble with VLT's Kermit.

erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) (07/15/89)

I have been having trouble with getting VLT's kermit to work with the
UNIX system I use.  The vt100 kermit worked fine.  The problem is that I
can't download a file from the UNIX side to the Amiga side.  I have tried
both server mode and send/recieve mode.  I just get errors and can't get
out of kermit.  Eventually I have to hang up the line to get out of kermit.
When I get into server, I can get out of it by sending a Kermit bye, but
not after I try to download something.  The packet size on our UNIX system
appears to be about 100 bytes.  As I mentioned before, VT100 does work.  I
can put kermit into server mode (both binary and text) and do a kermit-get.
It doesn't work with VLT (not in binary or regular text modes).

Any help with my problem would be greatly appreciated.

				Erik Johannes

erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) (07/26/89)

Well my problem with VLT's Kermit has gone away.  A new kermit was installed
on our system.  One thing that might make the difference is that it allows
large packet sizes.  I still don't know why VLT didn't work with the old
Kermit since the VT100 did work.  I did get VLT to work by setting the Kermit
option "Send/Recieve" and on the UNIX side giving the command :
			kermit -s filename -i

One of the responses I recieved suggested this.  Oddly enough if I got into
kermit and typed "send filename" it didn't work.

Thank you to those who responded to my inquiry.  Sorry to those who are
having the same problem, I don't know what the cause was.

				-Erik Johannes

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/27/89)

In article <243@unmvax.unm.edu> erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) writes:
>...  I did get VLT to work by setting the Kermit
>option "Send/Recieve" and on the UNIX side giving the command :
>			kermit -s filename -i
>Oddly enough if I got into kermit and typed "send filename" it didn't work.

Have you checked your ~/.kermrc file?  For instance, mine says
	set file type binary
	set file name literal
so that the "-i" option is turned on when I enter interactive mode.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms