[comp.sys.amiga] Star printer driver wanted

nobody@prles2.UUCP (nobody) (07/12/89)

I recently purchased a STAR-NL10 dot matrix printer for my
Amiga 500, but my Workbench diskette (V1.2) does not include
the appropriate driver for this printer, so that I can not
use the printer escape codes.  Could someone tell me where
I can find the driver for this printer, or if you own it
send a copy on the net.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick Hens.

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (07/13/89)

In article <565@prles2.UUCP> hens@apolloway.prl.philips.nl (Patrick Hens (44014)) writes:
>I recently purchased a STAR-NL10 dot matrix printer for my
>Amiga 500, but my Workbench diskette (V1.2) does not include
>the appropriate driver for this printer, so that I can not
>use the printer escape codes.  Could someone tell me where
>I can find the driver for this printer, or if you own it
>send a copy on the net.

	Try using the EpsonX[CBM_MPS-1250] or EpsonXOld driver from
the V1.3 Enhancer pack.  Be sure to refer to chapter 4 for details
on the individual drivers.

mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) (07/13/89)

Dave Berezowski writes:

>>I recently purchased a STAR-NL10 dot matrix printer[...]

>Try using the EpsonX[CBM_MPS-1250] or EpsonXOld driver[.]

I'm not sure that this driver works.  There are some subtle differences
between the STARs and the Epsons.  I have a NX-1000 and have not yet been
able to consistently get printouts of graphics; in particular I can't get D.
Music Const. Set to print full width scores.  Analysis shows that nothing is
being sent to the printer.  I can print fairly narrow scores, and I can dump
screens.  I'm open to any suggestions....
--
C. Wingate             +   "I bind unto myself today
                       +      the strong Name of the Trinity,

kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) (07/14/89)

In article <18523@mimsy.UUCP>, mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
> Dave Berezowski writes:
>

> >Try using the EpsonX[CBM_MPS-1250] or EpsonXOld driver[.]
>
> I'm not sure that this driver works.
>  I have a NX-1000.

I have recently been using the EpsonX driver with PLT: and
it produces excellent prints of graphics.

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

In <587@prles2.UUCP>, nobody@prles2.UUCP (nobody) writes:
>Thanks to those of you who sent me hints on the usage of the STAR
>NL-10 printer.  But, my problems are not solved yet.
>
>Most of you adviced me to try different Epson drivers.  And indeed,
>I can do graphic screen dumps with them and print standard files.
>
>But my problem is the usage of the printer escape codes: an example:
>when I use the command LPRINT CHR$(27);"4" in AmigaBasic my printer
>should be set up for italic characters as described in the 'Parallel
>Interface Cartridge For NL-10'-manual.  Now, the Epson drivers
>do not translate these codes correctly for the STAR NL-10 so that
>it does not react at all or unpredictably.

That's exactly right. Your driver is doing exactly what it was designed to do,
that is, to translate Amiga printer codes to the appropriate codes for your
printer. The driver rightly rejects codes that are not AMiga codes.

>So what I need is a driver that translates these codes correctly,
>or a translated code table.

What you really ned can be done two different ways, one right, and one wrong.

1. The wrong way is to use the PAR: device, which does not have a driver
attached to it. This will allow you to drive any old funky printer in any way
you want. The reason it's the wrong way is that your program will not work with
a different printer, funky or not.

2. The right way. Use the driver, and use the AMiga printer codes. They will
allow you to send the right codes to any printer that has a prroper driver fr
it installed.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

nobody@prles2.UUCP (nobody) (07/25/89)

Thanks to those of you who sent me hints on the usage of the STAR
NL-10 printer.  But, my problems are not solved yet.

Most of you adviced me to try different Epson drivers.  And indeed,
I can do graphic screen dumps with them and print standard files.

But my problem is the usage of the printer escape codes: an example:
when I use the command LPRINT CHR$(27);"4" in AmigaBasic my printer
should be set up for italic characters as described in the 'Parallel
Interface Cartridge For NL-10'-manual.  Now, the Epson drivers
do not translate these codes correctly for the STAR NL-10 so that
it does not react at all or unpredictably.

So what I need is a driver that translates these codes correctly,
or a translated code table.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick Hens

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (07/26/89)

E G L I N   A F B
                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      25-Jul-1989 09:34 CDT
                                        From:      CALVIN JONES
                                                   JONES
                                        Dept:      3200SPTW/SCX  (Plans)
                                        Tel No:    904-882-3550

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[AMIGA-RELAY@UDEL.EDU] )

Subject: RE: Star printer driver wanted

Patrick Hens asks about printing from BASIC:

PH> Thanks to those of you who sent me hints on the usage of the STAR
PH> NL-10 printer.  But, my problems are not solved yet.

Actually, I think your problems are solved, but you just don't realize
it yet.  8-)

PH> Most of you adviced me to try different Epson drivers.  And indeed,
PH> I can do graphic screen dumps with them and print standard files.

This is certainly a good sign and makes me think that you really don't
have a problem.

PH> But my problem is the usage of the printer escape codes: an example:
PH> when I use the command LPRINT CHR$(27);"4" in AmigaBasic my printer
PH> should be set up for italic characters as described in the 'Parallel
PH> Interface Cartridge For NL-10'-manual.  Now, the Epson drivers
PH> do not translate these codes correctly for the STAR NL-10 so that
PH> it does not react at all or unpredictably.

If you had opened the "PAR:" device instead of the "PRT:" device, you
would have obtained the expected results.  BUT WAIT!!!

Don't do it!  What's happening is that you are trying to send "printer-
specific" codes to your printer.  If you do this, you will find that
your program will now work ONLY for your NL-10 printer.  Now, next year
you may likely (well, perhaps not really likely, but possibly) win the
state lottery and decide to upgrade your system to one that includes
a $10,000 thermal transfer printer.  Now wouldn't it be nice if you
could buy one that was compatible with the programs that you had written
for your NL-10?

They all CAN be compatible!  Just use the printer codes that are listed
in your reference manual that came with your system (or Workbench
Enhancer package).  The printer driver you select in preferences will
translate those codes to the codes that apply to your printer for you!

PH> So what I need is a driver that translates these codes correctly,
PH> or a translated code table.

The translation is built in to the printer driver.  You just need to
supply the 'standard' codes in your program.

PH> Can someone help me out?

Commodore helped us all out a LLLOOONNNGGG time ago.  Their implementation
of printer drivers at the OS level (starting with WB 1.0 --- anyone
remember that) is something that gets little mention, but certainly makes
it easy to write programs for any printers.  Seems like any time I want to
put another application on my clone at work I spend all day configuring
things for the printer.

PH> Thanks in advance.

You're quite welcome.

   --- Cal Jones

"Single Tasking?  JUST SAY NO!!!"
 ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~   ~~~~ ~~~ ~~

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/27/89)

[I've seen other replies to this request without providing details]

In article <588@prles2.UUCP> hens@apolloway.prl.philips.nl (Patrick Hens (44014)) writes:
>But my problem is the usage of the printer escape codes: an example:
>when I use the command LPRINT CHR$(27);"4" in AmigaBasic my printer
>should be set up for italic characters as described in the 'Parallel
>Interface Cartridge For NL-10'-manual.

You are looking at the wrong set of escape sequences.  Forget about the ones
in the NL-10 manual, you need to use the ANSI X3.64 style commands.
(They're in Appendix-D of the Introduction to the Commodore Amiga 2000
manual.)  For example:

10 LPRINT CHR$(27);"[0mNormal"
20 LPRINT CHR$(27);"[3mItalic";CHR$(27);"[23m"
30 LPRINT CHR$(27);"[4mUnderline";CHR$(27);"[24m"
40 LPRINT CHR$(27);"[1mBold";CHR$(27);"[21m"

AmigaBASIC sends CHR$(27);"[3m" to the NL-10 printer driver, which translates
it to CHR$(27);"4" on its way to the printer.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/28/89)

<
[...]

If you really want to send printer specific codes to the printer, then
you have to bypass the amiga printer device.  This is useful for testing
your printer, trying out new features, etc.  LPRINT writes to PRT:, the
printer defice.  PRT: translates everything from the ANSI commands to
your printer commands.  To avoid this translation, write to PAR:
instead.  (SER: if your printer is a serial printer.)  Do something
like this (it's been quite a while, so this syntax is probably not
right..)

OPEN "PAR:" FOR OUTPUT AS #1
PRINT #1 CHR$(27);"4";"This is now italic on the NL-10."
CLOSE #1

These commands will be sent untranslated to the printer, so you can use
your printers own escape sequences directly.

>--
>Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
>McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
>PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
>San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP