[comp.sys.amiga] Fat Agnus chip

ricker@proton.uucp (Greg Ricker) (07/11/89)

I am about to upgrade from an A1000 to an A2000, but I am having trouble getting
a straight answer regarding the Fat Agnus chip. Several dealers have insisted that
CBM is not shipping 2000's with the new chip installed, but for a small fee they
will install it. Others claim that all 2000's are now being shipped with the new
 chip installed. Anybody know what the story is ?
Radiation Research Lab		|Internet: ricker%proton.UUCP@ucrmath.UCR.EDU
Loma Linda Universtiy Medical Center |        UUCP: ...ucrmath!proton!ricker
Loma Linda, California. (714)824-4066|

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (07/12/89)

Current units shipped by C-A DO include the Fatter Agnus.  They do
*NOT* include the new (yet to be released) Denise.  You can understand
why a dealer would want to sell his/her older units first, I don't
know if C-A has provided a way to upgrade current inventories.

Note, dealers have been instructed (or so I have been told, correct me
if I'm wrong) that NOBODY but a dealer is supposed to install the new
chips.  They are very fragile (like all these modern "huge" chips are)
and sensitive to static.  It also requires a special tool.  Without
this tool you can almost kiss success goodbye.

For example (FLAME ON!) AML Services (they send me a lot of *junk*
mail) is doing a dis-service to the Amiga community right now.  (this
is all IMHO, of course).  They are heavily pushing the Fatter Agnus as
a chip that can be installed by anyone.  I think that a lot of new
users are going to get hurt by this.  Ever since I got their latest
mailing I've tried to find time to call them but I've been very busy
durring business hours lately.  (FLAME OFF).

Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (07/12/89)

In article <Jul.11.23.28.02.1989.5588@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
$[...] (FLAME ON!) AML Services (they send me a lot of *junk*
$mail) is doing a dis-service to the Amiga community right now.  (this
$is all IMHO, of course).  They are heavily pushing the Fatter Agnus as
$a chip that can be installed by anyone.  I think that a lot of new
$users are going to get hurt by this.  Ever since I got their latest
$mailing I've tried to find time to call them but I've been very busy
$durring business hours lately.  (FLAME OFF).

Please email me the phone number and/or location (address) of AML
Services.  I will pass along this information to our Service Department.
Please send me the junk mail if possible, too.  Send to my attention
at 1200 Wilson Drive, West Chester, PA 19380.

We ARE interested in preventing this kind of thing.  You are correct
in your assertion that we don't want end users installing Agnus chips.
Yes I know that a great many usenet readers can do it, but we cannot
sanction the practice because users void their warranty, and may cause
harm to themselves which we cannot be liable for.  Having said that
there is little we can do to prevent service centers from selling
chips to our customers.

	Paul.

bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) (07/14/89)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>Current units shipped by C-A DO include the Fatter Agnus.  They do
>*NOT* include the new (yet to be released) Denise.  You can understand
>why a dealer would want to sell his/her older units first, I don't
>know if C-A has provided a way to upgrade current inventories.

>Note, dealers have been instructed (or so I have been told, correct me
>if I'm wrong) that NOBODY but a dealer is supposed to install the new
>chips.  They are very fragile (like all these modern "huge" chips are)
>and sensitive to static.  It also requires a special tool.  Without
>this tool you can almost kiss success goodbye.

:Tom,
  NOBODY but a dealer may be 'supposed' to install the new chips, but it's not THAT hard to replace them. All those chips have holes in the board under them, so you can turn the motherboard over, and poke something thru the hole to pop the chip out... As far as being static sensitive... it's not that hard to ground oneself...
lPersonally, I'd much prefer to swap in the Obese Agnus, and the new Denise myself than let some 'authorized' bozo who don't know any more about electronics than myself do it. I work on computer hardware everyday, and I trust myself a lot more than the average Joe with the insides of my maching. I hope CBM wisens up and makes the chips available to the public, and doesn't force us to get them installed by 'professionals'....

LARSEN-D@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (YUCKO Broccoli) (07/14/89)

My local Amiga Dealer is offering Agnus for something like $139 you take
it home, you install, no returns.  And $200-$250 we install and test.
Don't quote me on those prices it was late last night that I read this
message.  At any rate it sounds like SOME dealers will just sell the chip.

BTW, for someone like myself without experience at such things (who can't
afford to have the dealer install the thing) what precautions should I
take against static, etc.  Actually, a step by step guide would be great
if someone out there is so inclined...

larsen-d.osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Genie: larsen-d
"Sorry, I was sleeping..."

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (07/15/89)

>My local Amiga Dealer is offering Agnus for something like $139 you take
>it home, you install, no returns.  And $200-$250 we install and test.
>Don't quote me on those prices it was late last night that I read this
>message.  At any rate it sounds like SOME dealers will just sell the chip.

That's no deal.  An Atlanta-area dealer will sell you just the chip if he
knows that you understand the difficulty -- and you understand you're voiding
your warranty.  Price:  $104.  He'll install it for another $25 (2000) or
$35 (500), which IMHO is well worth the peace of mind.  He mentioned that
the 500 installation requires cutting one trace as well as installing the
jumper, which explains the higher cost.

Me, I'm saving for a hard drive first.
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
: life BEGIN funds @ enough_to_retire < WHILE work REPEAT ;

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (07/16/89)

In article <12509921403019@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> LARSEN-D@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (YUCKO Broccoli) writes:

>My local Amiga Dealer is offering Agnus for something like $139 you take
>it home, you install, no returns.  And $200-$250 we install and test.
>Don't quote me on those prices it was late last night that I read this
>message.  At any rate it sounds like SOME dealers will just sell the chip.

Those prices are a bit high. I bought my Fat Agnus for $125 plus $25
installation. Really folks, if you don't want to spend $25 to save from
voiding the warranty and possibly ruining the machine you are one hell of
a cheapskate :-).

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (07/18/89)

>>In article <12509921403019@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> LARSEN-D@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (YUCKO Broccoli) writes:

>>My local Amiga Dealer is offering Agnus for something like $139 you take
>>it home, you install, no returns.  And $200-$250 we install and test.
>>Don't quote me on those prices it was late last night that I read this
>>message.  At any rate it sounds like SOME dealers will just sell the chip.

>From: schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) Message-ID: <8952@venera.isi.edu>

>Those prices are a bit high. I bought my Fat Agnus for $125 plus $25
>installation. Really folks, if you don't want to spend $25 to save from
>voiding the warranty and possibly ruining the machine you are one hell of
>a cheapskate :-).

WHAT! cheapskate, well I for one am offended :-) *I* paid 549.00 for a
multitasking, video, audio workhorse that any other mfg. would have sold
for at least 1500.00 up (BOTTOM of THE LINE!). To think that ANY Commodore
customer is out to get the best deal for their money is totally proposterous.
hmph! I have been a customer of Commodore since 1979 and can say that the
one thing I enjoy most about my machine(s) is that I can hack them to death
and have a machine that is mostly ME. I and many here, like me, are HACKERS.
Do a search on that word in this newsgroup and you will find that 75% of
all the messages in here at any given time have the word HACK in them !!
It's just the way that things are with Commodore users, hack, hack, hack.
hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, ahck, chak, akch, kcah.. No one really cares
about spending twenty-five dollars when they can open up their fantastic
machine and get a peek at the silicone that makes it run and actually
change it themselves.. WHAT A RUSH !! I LLLLLIKE IT. To h*ll with the
warranty, its only 3 months anyway. Live a little. :-)

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

maj1@tank.uchicago.edu (Major Robinson jr.) (07/27/89)

In article <Jul.11.23.28.02.1989.5588@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>For example (FLAME ON!) AML Services (they send me a lot of *junk*
>mail) is doing a dis-service to the Amiga community right now.  (this
>is all IMHO, of course).  They are heavily pushing the Fatter Agnus as
        ^^^^
What does IMHO stand for?  I've seen it a couple of times now.

--
Major Robinson jr.
maj1@tank.uchicago.edu

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (07/28/89)

In article <4668@tank.uchicago.edu> maj1@tank.uchicago.edu (Major Robinson jr.) writes:
|[...]
|What does IMHO stand for?  I've seen it a couple of times now.

	IMHO = In My Hasty Opinion  8^)

	BTW, your message had "Distribution: usa" in the
	header - how about using "Distribution: world",
	or leaving it out (to default to same) instead?

	As far as I know, there are more Amigas outside
	North America than within at the moment...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu