[comp.sys.amiga] OS9 for the Amiga

michael@acp.OZ (Mike Simmons) (07/24/89)

Does anyone know if OS9 is availiable for the Amiga.
OS9 is a 68K based unix look a like.
There are two versions level 1 (with out MMU) and level 2 (with MMU).
It is written by Microware and is availiable for the Atari ST.
It is also availiable for the Tandy color computer.
There is already a small base of software running under it.

From Michael Simmons     ACSNet michael@acp.oz

kevin@cbmvax.UUCP (Kevin Klop) (07/25/89)

In article <560@acp.OZ> michael@acp.OZ (Mike Simmons) writes:
>Does anyone know if OS9 is availiable for the Amiga.
>OS9 is a 68K based unix look a like.
>There are two versions level 1 (with out MMU) and level 2 (with MMU).
>It is written by Microware and is availiable for the Atari ST.
>It is also availiable for the Tandy color computer.
>There is already a small base of software running under it.
>
>From Michael Simmons     ACSNet michael@acp.oz

I think that you have it backwards - OS9 was originally written for
6809 microprocessors, and has been ported to the 68000 (perhaps by
Microware).

As far as I'm aware, there is no OS9 for the Amiga.

'Course, I've been known to be wrong on occasion.

                                 -- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

The number, 111-111-1111 has been changed.  The new number is:
134-253-2452-243556-678893-3567875645434-4456789432576-385972

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) (07/26/89)

	There is a port of OS-9/68K being done to the Amiga from a developer
outside of Microware.  It is not being shipped at this time but should be
available sometime this year.  As soon as the time nears to ship it we
will let people know the details right here on the net.
	For all you Amiga people who don't know about OS-9, it was originally
created for the 6809 about 10 years ago.  About 6 years ago it was ported
to the 68000.  OS-9 is found mostly in embedded systems and process control
environments and has not made a big splash in the home/business computer
market.  OS-9/6809 is available on the Tandy Color Computer line where there
is software available for it.  OS-9/68K has been ported to the Atari ST and
also recently to the Mac (UltraScience did this one).  OS-9 is usually
described as a small, multi-tasking, multi-user, UNIX-like operating system
that is ROMable - this is what makes it so good for embedded systems.

	Tim Harris

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (07/28/89)

I don't know about OS/9 for the Amiga, but I've used OS/9-68K for about four
years now.  I wonder why you'd want to run it.

OS/9 is multitasking and somewhat more multiuser than AmoebaDOS, but how
many of us timeshare amigas.  There's only one terminal on an amiga that
will get any graphics goodies.

OS/9 is a little more UNIX-like than AmoebaDOS, but not that much.  ADOS has
way better interprocess communication tha OS/9.  OS/9 has no graphics
support at all.  I doubt there's much speed advantage to OS/9.  OS/9 has a
very stable C compiler, but I don't bet the code generator will blow either
Lattice or Manx's doors off.

If you get a chance to run OS/9 for free, and you enjoy learning new os's
every week, go ahead.  But don't pay very much for the priviledge.  It's not
going to make any big impression on you.