[comp.sys.amiga] Installbeep ideas

STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) (07/14/89)

Hello all,

    After playing with installbeep last night, (Very impressive) I think
I figured out an addition that might be, er, fun.  Here it is:

   1) Allow multiple sounds files on the command line. (or maybe a
	file that contains a list of sounds)

   2) The program would then load 1 sound file (Thus saving memory)
	and then wait for a beep command.

   3)  When a beep arrives, it would do that sound and then begin
	beep comes in before the new sound is loaded, it would
	use the old one.  Otherwise it would finish, dispose of
	the first sounds memory and go back to 2.

*note*  If a sound file can't be opened, it is 'x'ed off the list
	and another is tried.  A little check should detect the
	absence of any sounds.  This could prompt a requester saying
	sound files missing or just default the program to 'beep'
	mode.

    I would think that this would be kind of a fun option.  You could
specify a whole directory full of sounds and get a different one
each time you make a mistake.  What does everyone think?  In
particular, what does the Author think. (Are you cringing in horror
at the thought or is this a possible idea).

					Cheers,
/ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - v - - - - - - - \
|      x		Stuart Stanley                    |      "  "     |
|     x	  	     STU00@UMNACVX.BITNET                 |      O  O     |
|  x x                                                    |   xxxxxxxxxx  |
|   x	"Sing to me, my angel of music" - The Phantom     |   xxxxxxxxxx  |
|	"Gulp" - Dungeon Master	                          |  /  \    /  \ |
|                                                         | ^    ^  ^    ^|
\ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ^ - - - - - - - /

asaph@TAURUS.BITNET (07/20/89)

In article <19643@louie.udel.EDU> STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) writes:

>Hello all,
>
>    After playing with installbeep last night, (Very impressive) I think
>I figured out an addition that might be, er, fun.  Here it is:

       [ ideas deleted ]
>                                       Cheers,
>/ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - v - - - - - - - \
>|      x               Stuart Stanley                    |      "  "     |
>|     x                     STU00@UMNACVX.BITNET         |      O  O     |
     [ signiture trimmed ]

installbeep has a bug. It crashes the machine when too many sounds are queued
up to be played. To cause this bug, simply force to produce alot more sounds
then there are channels available. 2 ways to do this:
first installbeep
1) at the cshell prompt type cat <CR>, then hit ^G many times fast - bang!
2) with your favorate editor create a file that has mostly ^G in it and type
it to the screen - bang.

Other then this, it is a fun program, as for the poster's suggestions I have
only this to say - a with all small, fun, utility programs serious thought
must be given to commparing usefulness to codesize. IMHO, a utility like
this that takes more then ~10k is just too big to enjoy, as anything other
then a run-once oddity.
                                        asaph
asaph@taurus.bitnet           or       asaph@math.tau.ac.il

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/21/89)

In article <1053@taurus.BITNET> asaph%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Zemach Asaph) writes:

>installbeep has a bug. It crashes the machine when too many sounds are queued
>up to be played. To cause this bug, simply force to produce alot more sounds

I haven't seen this.  When I try that, the extra beeps are produced as
screen flashes.

>Other then this, it is a fun program, as for the poster's suggestions I have

Fun?  I think it's very useful.  I'm a touch typist, as are many other
people here.  I'm not always looking at the screen to see the "beep".

>only this to say - a with all small, fun, utility programs serious thought
>must be given to commparing usefulness to codesize. IMHO, a utility like
>this that takes more then ~10k is just too big to enjoy, as anything other

Well, I'm open to suggestions.  I haven't seen anything that takes less
room but does the same job.  (A simple beep is okay, in fact maybe
better than a digitized sample.  Right now I'm using the "boink" sound
from Amicus 10, but that gets old fast.)

>then a run-once oddity.

Run-once.  In my startup-sequence.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) (07/22/89)

I didn't catch the beginning of this discussion of Installbeep, but
I gathered that it is a program to create a 'beep' instead of a screen
flash.  I have been using a program called 'beepit' which does the
same thing, and is rather small (2344 bytes).  I don't remember where I
got it from, but I believe it is PD, so I have included it below.

begin 600 beepit.zoo
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M&;/5T09:0R0Q!0@MM #"#3;< ,,,+- P@PPRF*=J0 #<I\3] @
M                                                      #\@]RG
MQ/T" 0(*  #H @  $Q$K BNW* D  !H'   !            8F5E<&ET ,D
MQ?XH  H ?_B:             $ I(R@   $ &#!/H$&! PX:%"!0P P@ G<8
M#( P7<,93O0%H.*DBD G79S4Z2A0R"DD>@"0<:(+ 10H3U(  <3'# &6!MP(
M80%(#Q@,< ! X*DG"#M B"00/1<@0B $ *009< "P(>>9<#M!'0JB#X .%X@
M0(+G'Z@7//FP1$#CR3L #-#2Q$D(RY.U-D"*3..&3ITT=-*\<>."31HQ<L+(
MR0. )  DY_[]8QF ADF4 %CA% -3)B!;9A"89%G G-T,?  H !3+*" !*9
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M "F- H)&: 0*?>#5LOT   A+2(&(6'*A01D1Q?&I1P ZT V(UM"PXG;:N@2
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ME!%$@H(/A/)GD'$ "'!P2A@$TU#%JL91I* $(K1! ;L$! '80  E2,)ZW1$
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M_0(
(        _(,

end

In <603@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) writes:
>I didn't catch the beginning of this discussion of Installbeep, but
>I gathered that it is a program to create a 'beep' instead of a screen
>flash.  I have been using a program called 'beepit' which does the
>same thing, and is rather small (2344 bytes).  I don't remember where I
>got it from, but I believe it is PD, so I have included it below.

That's one I whipped up a few years ago. It too will crash if a 'beep' is
happening when another beep comes along. Comes from not having a re-entrant
routine. I initialized the audio device outside the routine that replaces
DisplayBeep(), and of course the program assumes it can use the audio device.
I never did fix it up. If anyone is interested, I could mail the source (it's
up on Compuserve).

Personally, I use a little program called 'setbeep' that allows a digitized
sound. My Amiga now 'drips' at me.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (07/25/89)

> From: asaph@taurus.bitnet - Date: 20 Jul 89 11:01:21 GMT
> In article <19643@louie.udel.EDU> STU00@vx.acss.umn.edu (Stuart Stanley) write
s:

>>Hello all,
>>
>>    After playing with installbeep last night, (Very impressive) I think
>>I figured out an addition that might be, er, fun.  Here it is:
>>|      x               Stuart Stanley                    |      "  "     |
>>|     x                     STU00@UMNACVX.BITNET         |      O  O     |

        All I can say about your request Stuart is; We'll look into it.  As
        we wrote InstallBeep as a task, we cannot call the DOS functions
        in the normal way.  Also the code that loads the sound is not
        resident in memory, it goes away after you run InstallBeep, to try
        and keep the thing a reasonable size.

> installbeep has a bug. It crashes the machine when too many sounds are queued
> up to be played. To cause this bug, simply force to produce alot more sounds
> then there are channels available. 2 ways to do this:
> first installbeep

Well, since I'm one of the authors.  I might be of some help.
First question, what version are you using?  There are three versions that
have gone out to the door.

1.0 was posted to a BBS around our area, it may have reproduced ;-)
        Anyway, DO NOT USE THIS VERSION!!!  It has many bugs, one of
        which was the posibility of it GURUing when there are no sound
        channels available.

1.1 was posted to the same BBS, to comp.binaries.amiga, and I guess
        Fred Fish got this one from Bob Page or something.  We actually didn't
        want this version to go to Fred yet, as we were not absolutly positive
        that it was bug free....  No big deal, it's stable.  It does have one
        known bug though.  The task name is hosed, due the the fact that we
        forgot to allocate the memory for it (when the stack whent away...).
        So if you get a list of the current tasks, this one may look sort
        of strange.

1.2 was posted only to a BBS, the only change is that the above bug has been
        fixed.  We wanted to make a couple more changes to the program before
        we post it to the real world again.

1.3 should have a lower sound channel priority, it seems that many
        programs don't handle the posibility that their sound channel might
        be stolen.  So PlayBeep steals the channel, then gives it back to
        the system.  The program it stole the channel from hangs.

>                                         asaph
> asaph@taurus.bitnet           or       asaph@math.tau.ac.il

If anyone reading this has a reasonable request that they would like to see
InstallBeep handle or do.  Please send me a mail message at the address
below.
        Don
Snail Mail: Don R. Withey, 3700 East 65th Ave, Anch, AK 99507
Phone:  907-786-1074 (work), 907-344-4057 (home)
Email:  Bitnet: axdrw@alaska.bitnet     BIX: dwithey
University of AK Anch, Computing & Technology Services (CATS ;-)

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/27/89)

Here's an idea for installbeep:  How about letting it do what the title
makes you think it does?  Namely, installing a beep.  A nice, simple,
non-digitized beep.  It might be nice to include it as an option,
thereby letting the user save some ram.  (duration,  volume, and pitch
as options, perhaps?)

Lest this reply sound sarcastic, I really do like the program, and it's
in my startup-sequence.  I've just had some trouble finding appropriate
sound samples.  What sound *should* your text editor make when you goof?
A gunshot?  Explosion?  Scream?  Theme to Star Trek?  "I'm sorry Dave,
but I can't do that"?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

iddos@TAURUS.BITNET (07/31/89)

In article <1053@taurus.BITNET> asaph@libra.UUCP (Zemach Asaph) writes:
[re: proposals for additions to playbeep]

>installbeep has a bug. It crashes the machine when too many sounds are queued
>up to be played. To cause this bug, simply force to produce alot more sounds
>then there are channels available. 2 ways to do this:
>first installbeep
>1) at the cshell prompt type cat <CR>, then hit ^G many times fast - bang!
>2) with your favorate editor create a file that has mostly ^G in it and type
>it to the screen - bang.

3) Run amigabasic. Type CR at the editor's last line. This produces a
   normal beep and crashes the system. Amaze your friends.

>only this to say - a with all small, fun, utility programs serious thought
>must be given to commparing usefulness to codesize. IMHO, a utility like

>this that takes more then ~10k is just too big to enjoy, as anything other
>then a run-once oddity.

Isn't that too extreme? Mac users have this beep utility built in their
system. They like it, I guess.
I wonder what people use as their beep? My beep is in too bad a taste to
be desribed here.

Ido (The ID) Amin - iddos.taurus.BITNET

| Ido (The Id) Amin                                 iddos@taurus.BITNET |
+---------- Is the virtual memory of a unicorn a physical device? ------+