[comp.sys.amiga] CMI processor Accelerator

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (10/06/88)

Does anyone have experience with this beasty?  I saw an
add in this months ami whirl and it has me interested.
(14 Mghz with 68881 CoProc ability)

thanks
--
Brian Moffet			{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucscc}!sco!brianm
 -or-				...sco!alar!brian

billc@percival.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) (10/09/88)

In article <1440@scolex> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:

>Does anyone have experience with this beasty?  I saw an
>Brian Moffet			{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucscc}!sco!brianm

Ok, those of you who want information packages on the CMI Processor
Accelerator, then send EMAIL to

...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!lillian - that's Lilliane, and she'll be
more than happy to send you one..

 Bill

--
  William J. Coldwell   Creative Microsystems  "We the unwilling,
Amiga Attitude Adjuster  10110 SW Nimbus  B1    led by the unknowning,

abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) (12/19/88)

In article <6018@louie.udel.EDU> CHUCHEM%BGUEE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>> From: Julius A Cisek <jac423@leah.albany.edu>
>>
>> [Julius asks about the CMI Accelerator]
>
> [Dave Chuchem replies]
>I have had the CMI Accelerator for a couple of months.  It is installed in a
>standard A1000 with a Microbotics Starboard 2Meg add-on.
>
> [Text deleted]
>CMI did not supply any advice or software to demonstrate any gains in
>using their system.  They did not supply any test programs at all.
>
>I could not notice any appreciable speed improvements in any casual
>applications.

I too bought the CMI, but they did pack their disk full
of handy stuff, including a mandelbrot program that uses
the 68881 and some programs the graphically illustrate
the speed differences.

>Running some standard benchmark programs I found that:
>1.  "sieve" benchmark ran in 64 seconds instead of 68.9 seconds.
>2.  "savage" benchmark ran in 59.8 seconds instead of 75.9 seconds.
>
>Interesting, but nothing to get excited about!

On the 500, it's not night and day, but thing did (see below)
obviously improve.

> [Flames about the 68881 not helping any deleted]
>
>Dave Chuchem
>chuchem@bguee.bitnet

I don't have a 68881 and even if I did, it wouldn't help;
I had my PA about 1 week when I shipped it back (somewhere
in the second week of November I think) and haven't seen it
since.

This is no reflection on CMI, per se, as they blame
an independant firm (since fired) for all the delays.

Perhaps they do have someone else building their boards
now, but these guys won't even commit to my having
a board before year end. CMI's work, and they do help,
but throw it away if it breaks.

David Neal
{killer!texbell! or uunet!}nuchat!abbadon
The opinions expressed are strictly my own.

dinsdale%liaison@Sun.COM (Tom van Peer) (03/22/89)

Anyone out there using the CMI Processor Accelerator with the 14 MHz 68000
(and 68881) ?  If so, could you please enlighten me with your experience
(only by E-mail of course) ?  If desired I'll summarize for the net.
Thanks in advance,

Tom van Peer.

tom@pcg.philips.nl or
dinsdale@liaison.sun.com (whichever is closer to you)

root@ramrez.KNOB.MO.US (Root) (07/31/89)

CMI Processor Accelerator 16 Mhz Microprocessor for the Amiga 500
include software and manual and MC68881 Math Processor expansion slot.
I have purchased an Unix 3b computer and an selling off amiga stuff.
send email or request if you looking for something.
$100.00

UUCP: {attctc|igloo|netsys}!jolnet!ramrez!root
DATA: (816) 563-5897