[comp.sys.amiga] Desktop media

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (07/26/89)

I just saw Apple's promotional video on desktop media.  I was unempressed.
Granted, their "put-it-on-paper" type applications (desktop publishing) was
O.K., but the intgration of "sound and motion" was incredibly weak.  NOTHING,
and I do mean, nothing, came close to touching what can be done easily on
a one meg Amiga.  However, I'm sure business-types will eat this video up
like candy.  Wake up Commodore!  If Apple wants to create a new verticle
market (desktop media) they should do it WITH competition from a machine
that is actually better suited for it.  Think about it...

-Evan

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (07/31/89)

In article <30209@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>I just saw Apple's promotional video on desktop media.  I was unempressed.
>Granted, their "put-it-on-paper" type applications (desktop publishing) was
>O.K., but the intgration of "sound and motion" was incredibly weak.  NOTHING,
>and I do mean, nothing, came close to touching what can be done easily on
>a one meg Amiga.  However, I'm sure business-types will eat this video up
>like candy.  Wake up Commodore!  If Apple wants to create a new verticle
>market (desktop media) they should do it WITH competition from a machine
>that is actually better suited for it.  Think about it...

If anyone has seen the actual demo that is used in the commercial,
you would notice that the flying sequence is fake.  Each frame
had to be drawn individually.  The moral of the story is

  "If the papers can create a story with lies, we can create
   a better one with the truth."