[comp.sys.amiga] Hosed IFF Files

LARSEN-D@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (YUCKO Broccoli) (07/20/89)

I have a disk full of IFF images that turned up with a bunch of read errors.
After a session with disksalv, I now have lots of corrupt iff files.  I could
use parts of these images if I could load them.  Has anyone ever heard of a
utility that will let me salvage corrupt IFF files?  If so would you please
post to .binaries?

LARSEN-D@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU

ecarroll@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (07/25/89)

In article <12511294930015@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>,
LARSEN-D@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (YUCKO Broccoli) writes:
> I have a disk full of IFF images that turned up with a bunch of read errors.
> After a session with disksalv, I now have lots of corrupt iff files.  I could
> use parts of these images if I could load them.  Has anyone ever heard of a
> utility that will let me salvage corrupt IFF files?  If so would you please
> post to .binaries?
>
> LARSEN-D@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU

About two weeks ago, I was doing something with NewTek's Demo Reel #1, and I
came across two picture files that I had never seen in the demo before. They
were corrupted, but I was able to display them using SHOWIFF, a little display
utility that comes with the iff.library posted to .binaries a while ago. This
was the iff.library from Switzerland I think, not Leo Schwab's and Stuart
Ferguson's iff.library.

Anyway, I simply used SHOWIFF to display the files (corrupted bits and all),
and used a screen grabber to save them back out as new IFF files. Then I
removed the rubbish with Dpaint (for the hi-res picture) and Photon Paint
(for the HAM picture). Only the top and bottom few lines had been corrupted,
so they still looked quite acceptable.

I've no idea how well SHOWIFF can handle generally corrupted files, but it
certainly worked in this case for me, after all the other programs I had
had rejected them.
--
Eddy Carroll               ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
INTER: ecarroll@cs.tcd.ie                            |    you've died in MUD!"

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (08/01/89)

+-- ecarroll@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) writes:
| [ ... ]  the iff.library posted to .binaries a while ago. This
| was the iff.library from Switzerland I think, not Leo Schwab's and Stuart
| Ferguson's iff.library.

That's iffparse.library.  A more general facility that might be packaged
under the name "iff.library" is still on the drawing board.
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC