[comp.sys.amiga] DNET for SYS V

I have the oportunity to add DNET as an option on our public access unix
machine (D.I.S.K.) so our Amiga users can run multiple sessions, etc. But
we only have SYS V unix. I remember when DNET came out it was only for BSD,
and that there were some of you out there who wanted to get it to work with
SYS V.

At the time I had no use for DNET, but now that I do, I am wondering if anyone
has finally gotten it to work with SYS V, or is Matt going to come out with a
SYS V version?

Many Amiga/Unix users will appreciate it if DNET on SYS V is possible.
Does it/ will it exist?

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (07/27/89)

In article <907@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

   Many Amiga/Unix users will appreciate it if DNET on SYS V is possible.
   Does it/ will it exist?

This is an important question for me too, since my workstation is a
Sys V machine.  It would be really cool if I could multi-window
terminals and access to NFS on my Amiga through my Iris.

I would be interested in doing a port of DNET for Sys V, but
unfortunately I'm not Matt Dillon and don't know a whole lot about
Unix system-level hacking.  That doesn't mean that I'm not willing to
learn, but I'd first like to hear from some other people who have
either done the port already or are already working on it, to save
myself from repeating effort if possible.

				--M

--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/28/89)

On 27 Jul 89 14:25:42 GMT,
portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) said:
MP> In article <907@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks)
MP> writes:

JS> Many Amiga/Unix users will appreciate it if DNET on SYS V is
JS> possible.  Does it/ will it exist?

MP> This is an important question for me too, since my workstation is
MP> a Sys V machine.  It would be really cool if I could multi-window
MP> terminals and access to NFS on my Amiga through my Iris.

MP> I would be interested in doing a port of DNET for Sys V, but
MP> unfortunately I'm not Matt Dillon and don't know a whole lot about
MP> Unix system-level hacking.  That doesn't mean that I'm not willing
MP> to learn, but I'd first like to hear from some other people who
MP> have either done the port already or are already working on it, to
MP> save myself from repeating effort if possible.

The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends heavily on
Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.  You'd really need
a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP sockets available, that
could work.  But without some sort of sockets, you are basically left
with the pipe() call for IPC...  which is useless for unrelated
processes.  (How would you propose to implement putfiles?)  You could
resort to something like shared files or some other form of IPC, but
that's ugly.  I'm not sure if standard SysV has any useful form of IPC
between unrelated processes you could tap for DNet.  Streams?
Probably not, and not widespread yet.  Messages?  Maybe, but I don't
know how and how widely they are implemented.  Anyone with SysV
networking (standard) info?

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (07/28/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Jul28050225@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
   portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) said:

   MP> I would be interested in doing a port of DNET for Sys V

   The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends heavily on
   Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.  You'd really need
   a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP sockets available, that
   could work.  But without some sort of sockets, you are basically left
   with the pipe() call for IPC...  which is useless for unrelated
   processes.

Well, as it turns out, SysV Unix for the Iris supports TCP sockets, so
it may be possible for me to port DNet so it runs on my workstation.
So now my question is: How good would this be for the majority of SysV
users out there?  How many SysV ports offer support for TCP sockets?

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone else who may be attempting
the same task or thinking about it.

			--M

--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/29/89)

On 28 Jul 89 13:33:30 GMT,
portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) said:

Michael> In article <SHADOW.89Jul28050225@pawl.rpi.edu>
Michael> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

Deven> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) said:

Michael> I would be interested in doing a port of DNET for Sys V

Deven> The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends
Deven> heavily on Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.
Deven> You'd really need a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP
Deven> sockets available, that could work.  But without some sort of
Deven> sockets, you are basically left with the pipe() call for IPC...
Deven> which is useless for unrelated processes.

Michael> Well, as it turns out, SysV Unix for the Iris supports TCP
Michael> sockets, so it may be possible for me to port DNet so it runs
Michael> on my workstation.  So now my question is: How good would
Michael> this be for the majority of SysV users out there?  How many
Michael> SysV ports offer support for TCP sockets?

I'm not sure how many SysV machines support TCP, but I know they
exist.  If there's a socket library, all the better.  It might not
even be too hard to do...  [then again, Matt's code is pretty ugly...]

Michael> I'm still interested in hearing from anyone else who may be
Michael> attempting the same task or thinking about it.

Oh, I've considered it, and may eventually do it, but it's
low-priority queue.  (i.e. probably won't bother to attempt it anytime
real soon...  I've got DNet running on a BSD (SunOS) machine, so I
haven't the incentive.)

Deven
--

Corzine) writes:
>JS> Many Amiga/Unix users will appreciate it if DNET on SYS V is
>JS> possible.  Does it/ will it exist?

>The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends heavily on
>Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.  You'd really need
>a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP sockets available, that
>could work.

Ok, We do have TCP sockets on our Sys V., but I still get errors compiling
DNET. I am not a c programmer. I do know some guys who are pretty good at it
though, so ....
can anyone give me details on what to change in order to get DNET working on
SYS V with TCP sockets? we are running on a 386 machine with microport unix.

Help, please.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself.

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (07/30/89)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>I'm not sure how many SysV machines support TCP, but I know they
>exist.
As far as I know all System V ports done by Unisoft (e.g. Apple's AUX)
have something called B-Net. Unisoft ports mostly to 68K boxes. They do
not sell UNIX boxes. The B-Net is the 4.2BSD networking code, so you
shouldn't have a problem getting DNET going there.

For pure SysV boxes "a full redesign might be in order" as they say ;-) .

						Hans
--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@pcg.philips.nl
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (07/30/89)

>Deven> The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends
>Deven> heavily on Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.
>Deven> You'd really need a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP
>Deven> sockets available, that could work.  ...

	Isn't the Amiga 2500UX going to support sockets in their version of
Sys V?. This alone would be a good reason to port DNet to Sys V, picture
two Amiga moving data back and forth between operating systems. This might
be a good (temporary?) solution to the problem of moving data back and forth.
(Unless CA has solved that one already!)

	Just a thought...

					Stephen Orr

{ The opinions expressed herin ARE those of my employer...
		I'm self employed !		- Stephen Orr	}

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/31/89)

On 30 Jul 89 13:50:44 GMT,
sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) said:

Deven> The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends
Deven> heavily on Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.
Deven> You'd really need a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP
Deven> sockets available, that could work.  ...

Stephen>        Isn't the Amiga 2500UX going to support sockets in
Stephen> their version of Sys V?. This alone would be a good reason to
Stephen> port DNet to Sys V, picture two Amiga moving data back and
Stephen> forth between operating systems. This might be a good
Stephen> (temporary?) solution to the problem of moving data back and
Stephen> forth.  (Unless CA has solved that one already!)

Or, consider running SLIP from an Amiga under Exec to one under Amix.
Whether sockets will be supported in Amix, I don't know.  What _type_
of sockets such would be is equally a mystery.  Anyone at CATS care to
enlighten?

Deven
--

paulsc@radio_flyer.WV.TEK.COM (Paul Scherf;685-2734;61-028;692-4142;orca) (08/01/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Jul28050225@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>The problem with DNet under SysV Unix is that it depends heavily on
>Unix-domain sockets in its current implementation.  You'd really need
>a replacement.  For a SysV machine with TCP sockets available, that
>could work.  But without some sort of sockets, you are basically left
>with the pipe() call for IPC...  which is useless for unrelated
>processes.

Why couldn't named pipes (fifo special files)
be substituted for Unix-domain sockets?
They seem to be very similar to Unix-domain sockets.

Paul Scherf, Tektronix, Box 1000, MS 61-028, Wilsonville, OR, USA
paulsc@orca.WV.Tek.com     503-685-2734     tektronix!orca!paulsc

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/02/89)

On 1 Aug 89 16:54:30 GMT, paulsc@radio_flyer.WV.TEK.COM (Paul
Scherf;685-2734;61-028;692-4142;orca) said:

Paul> Why couldn't named pipes (fifo special files) be substituted for
Paul> Unix-domain sockets?  They seem to be very similar to
Paul> Unix-domain sockets.

They very well might be.  Maybe I'll look into it...

Deven