[comp.sys.amiga] MyMenu with IconX scripts?

blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/29/89)

Is it possible to get MyMenu to work with IconX scripts? I've got several of
my games setup with IconX scripts that make the assigns needed to get the
game to run, run the game, then cancel the assigns after the game exits.

I prefer to do it this way instead of just putting the assigns in my
startup-sequence because it cuts down on the clutter from assigning
everything in the world. Unfortunatly, MyMenu says "Can't open info file"
with an "Aw, shucks" cancel gadget when it tries to run one of my IconX
scripts. Is this because it's a Project icon, not a Tool icon?

Is there any way to do this with MyMenu, or maybe another program?

PS I just tried it with Browser, and it failed too. "Can't open tool
Error 121" was the error message.

--
Blaine Gardner @ worsel         UUCP: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine
"Nobody will ever need more than 64K."      utah-cs!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine

sjorr@rose.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (08/02/89)

In article <0657.AA0657@worsel> blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>Is it possible to get MyMenu to work with IconX scripts? I've got several of
>my games setup with IconX scripts that make the assigns needed to get the
>game to run, run the game, then cancel the assigns after the game exits.

Yes it is possible, just treat your IconX script as a CLI-Startup script
from MyMenu so against the MyMenu command you would place:

menu [<Hot-Key>] MenuName ItemName [SubName] | CLI NewCLI "CON:0/0/0/0/" from
	IconXscript

alternately a NewShell can be used, however a newshell does not allow a
0/0/1/1 window size whereas NewCLI does.

P.S. a NewCLI 0/0/1/1 is a great way to hide a CLI window on screen it's sizing
gadget will be the top left hand pixel on the screen (making it easy to find!)

				Stephen Orr

{ The opinions expressed herin ARE those of my employer...
		I'm self employed !		- Stephen Orr	}

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (08/02/89)

>From: blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) Message-ID: <0657.AA0657@worsel>
>
>Is it possible to get MyMenu to work with IconX scripts? I've got several of
>my games setup with IconX scripts that make the assigns needed to get the
>game to run, run the game, then cancel the assigns after the game exits.

I have been doing this by using
Newcli con:0/0/10/150/windowname dh0:s/SCRIPTNAME
dh0:s/SCRIPTNAME would be replaced by the path to your actual script file
location

The entry in your MyMenu parser would use CLI instead of WB as the program
Newcli launches from the cli.

Important Note: This only works from the 1.3 version of Newcli.

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/03/89)

In article <0657.AA0657@worsel> blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>Is it possible to get MyMenu to work with IconX scripts? I've got several of
>my games setup with IconX scripts that make the assigns needed to get the
>game to run, run the game, then cancel the assigns after the game exits.

Yes, this 'anomoly' showed up real quick after I first posted it.  Later
postings (same version) included a workaround.  Problem is, I naively
assumed there would be a tool icon, which there isn't with IconX or
Xicon.

Easy workaround that works fine for me and other users is to make
the menu a CLI menu, instead of a WB menu, and use EXECUTE as the command.
For example:

  menu <F> Foo Bar | CLI c:execute baz:iconx_script

This won't work for some Xicon scripts though, since some of them have
commands embedded in the .info file instead of having a script.
I haven't tried creating a dummy .info file, but I expect that would work
also.

Other wierd things FYI:
  Paths aren't inherited, so doing NEWCLI from MyMenu will have a CLI
  without a path (same as dmouse).

  A NEWPREFS IntuiMessage causes the menus to go away (since WB redraws
  its menus).  When this happens, just quit it and restart.

  The source was posted with SHAR, so some of the graphics characters
  were converted to ascii (such as the copyright symbol, and the >>
  symbol).

>PS I just tried it with Browser, and it failed too. "Can't open tool
>Error 121" was the error message.

Yup, I used WBrun as a skeleton when doing the workbench stuff, and since
that is by the same author as Browser...

PS: Supposedly WB 1.4 will have customizable menus.  Anyone know for
    sure how much functionality it has?  I am not seriously planning a new
    version unless WB 1.4 is limited.  (MyMenu has multiple menus,
    submenus, color for item text, WB or CLI commands, and configuration
    by a text file)

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.