[comp.sys.amiga] ls

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (08/01/89)

In article <1281@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (Jim Wright) writes:
>Unfortunately, you posted version 2.0, while version 2.2 (2.3?) has a number
>of significant improvements.

	Has anybody hacked up "ls" to change the way it displays the
filenames from left to right on the screen?  It's a nice program, but
my eyes don't like the unusual way that the text flashes across the
screen.  Anyone change it so it displays the files from top to bottom,
like the UNIX "ls" does?

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator      barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  ARPANET: barrett@cs.jhu.edu                            |
|                    BITNET:  ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                        |
|                    UUCP:    ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP                     noog |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

perley@vdsvax.crd.ge.com (Perley Donald P) (08/03/89)

In article <2177@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

>	Has anybody hacked up "ls" to change the way it displays the
>filenames from left to right on the screen?  It's a nice program, but
>my eyes don't like the unusual way that the text flashes across the
>screen.

Also, does 'ls' output differently if the output is being redirected
(as unix ls does)?  The acrobatics of jumping from column to column
could be rather confusing to whatever program recieves the output.

-don perley
--

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/03/89)

On 2 Aug 89 17:00:09 GMT,
perley@vdsvax.crd.ge.com (Perley Donald P) said:

Perley> Also, does 'ls' output differently if the output is being
Perley> redirected (as unix ls does)?  The acrobatics of jumping from
Perley> column to column could be rather confusing to whatever program
Perley> recieves the output.

No, it doesn't, and yes, it is.  [even for more]

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (08/03/89)

In article <8969@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@vdsvax.crd.ge.com (Perley Donald P) writes:
| In article <2177@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
| >	Has anybody hacked up "ls" to change the way it displays the
| >filenames from left to right on the screen?  It's a nice program, but
| >my eyes don't like the unusual way that the text flashes across the
| >screen.
| Also, does 'ls' output differently if the output is being redirected
| (as unix ls does)?  The acrobatics of jumping from column to column
| could be rather confusing to whatever program recieves the output.

Unfortunately, no.  The "columnation" is done by sending ANSI escape
sequences.  The author gives some justification for this in the docs.
Perhaps the biggest problem in my eyes is that there is no "1" option
(for single column output, i.e. no cursor control).  It isn't perfect,
but it is small, fast, and the deficiencies don't bother me too much.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

tj@yacht.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R. Johnson) (08/03/89)

	I just downloaded ls version 3.1 from PLink.  It appears to be
much improved over earlier versions.  If someone tells me where to
send it, I'll do so.

	---Todd
-=-

	---Todd
	tj@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (08/04/89)

In article <8969@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@vdsvax.crd.ge.com (Perley Donald P) writes:
>In article <2177@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>>
>>	Has anybody hacked up "ls" to change the way it displays the
>>filenames from left to right on the screen?  It's a nice program, but
>
>Also, does 'ls' output differently if the output is being redirected
>(as unix ls does)?  The acrobatics of jumping from column to column
>could be rather confusing to whatever program recieves the output.

Yes, ls 3.1 has had these problems fixed.  It redirects to files just fine.
If anyone wants the executable and doc file send mail to me.  Tomorrow I'll
have a .zuu file with me at work containing the above mentioned goodies.

	"Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
John Lindwall				 johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM