[comp.sys.amiga] Pascal for Amiga

aledm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aled Morris) (08/01/89)

[I'm posting this for a friend without news access, all replies by mail
only to the address below, please   --aled]

I am using the MCC pascal compiler v1.25 and am having some severe problems
with it. It appears that after a certain number of recursive calls some
variables become corrupt. On returning from the recursion the values are
correct again, suggesting to me that the memory allocation is causing the
problem. I've increased the stack size and I'm using a RAM expansion box
giving me 2.5 Mbyte so I don't beleive that there is a memory shortage.
Any ideas ???

Failing this is version 2 of the compiler any better ? Failing that does
anyone know of any other Pascal compiler around ?

Hardware is A1000 + 2.5MByte expansion + 1.2 Workbench

Pete Hoare

Royal Holloway and Bedford New College  |  mail: uhac011@vaxa.rhbnc.ac.uk
Computer Science Department             |  uucp: ...!ukc!rhbnca!uhac011
Egham, Surrey  TW20 0EX,  England       |  talk: +44 784 434455 x3425
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (08/03/89)

aledm@syma.sussex.ac.uk write in Message-ID: <1201@syma.sussex.ac.uk>

> I am using the MCC pascal compiler v1.25 and am having some severe problems
> with it. It appears that after a certain number of recursive calls some
> variables become corrupt. On returning from the recursion the values are
> correct again, suggesting to me that the memory allocation is causing the
> problem. I've increased the stack size and I'm using a RAM expansion box
> giving me 2.5 Mbyte so I don't beleive that there is a memory shortage.
> Any ideas ???

Nope, sorry.  :-)

> Failing this is version 2 of the compiler any better ? Failing that does
> anyone know of any other Pascal compiler around ?

Yeah, a recent PD version has been plunged in the FishTank. Looks pretty nice,
includes includes, and few more tongue twisters. But version 2.0 of the
MetaComPost compiler is supposed to be rather bug free, and stuffed with a few
more features. It does not include includes through. Call the company for more
info, it is located on the same tiny island after all.  :-)

But how about switching to Modula-2?

> Hardware is A1000 + 2.5MByte expansion + 1.2 Workbench

Neat. Try out a Lucas board though.

> Pete Hoare

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may destroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

bakerj@gtephx.UUCP (Jon Baker) (08/04/89)

In article <1201@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, aledm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aled Morris) writes:

> I am using the MCC pascal compiler v1.25 and am having some severe problems
> with it. It appears that after a certain number of recursive calls some
> variables become corrupt. On returning from the recursion the values are
> correct again, suggesting to me that the memory allocation is causing the
> problem. I've increased the stack size and I'm using a RAM expansion box
> giving me 2.5 Mbyte so I don't beleive that there is a memory shortage.
> Any ideas ???
>
> Failing this is version 2 of the compiler any better ? Failing that does
> anyone know of any other Pascal compiler around ?

Pete,
  I have the Modula-2 compiler, which may be what you
are referring to.  I have had problems passing variable
length string variables as parameters.  The string gets
corrupted somewhere on the stack, with funny characters
appended to the end.  Changing allocated stack size
changes the appended funny character.  I was not doing
recursive calls.  I worked around the problem by declaring
the variable-length character string vars as global to
both caller and called, rather than declaring locally and
passing as parameter.
Don't know if this will help your recursion problem, though.

J.Baker.
asuvax!gtephx!bakerj