[comp.sys.amiga] Using a NEC 3D Monitor

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (08/04/89)

After my old 1084 monitor went up in smoke(leterally), I decided to
get a proper multi-sync monitor.  Since I had an NTSC 1000 and was
planning on buying a PAL 2000 and expected to use the 640 x 400
non-interlaced graphics when they became available it seemed to be the
best way to go.  I thought that the NEC 3D was a good on and ordered
it along with a cable from Redmond.  To put a long story short, I am
not very impressed with the combination.  For one thing, the monitor
periodically makes weird noises like a relay chattering and the
picture tries to change scan rates for a moment.  It comes back after
a moment but not very inspiring.  The other, and to my mide more
serious, thing is that the characters all have a ghost on their right
and side.  This APPEARS to be ringing in the video somewhere and I
suspect that the buffer amplifier in the Redmond cable is not what it
should be.  Any ideas or things that WORK in this configuration will
be much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (08/06/89)

In article <271@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:

>best way to go.  I thought that the NEC 3D was a good on and ordered
>it along with a cable from Redmond.  To put a long story short, I am
>not very impressed with the combination.  For one thing, the monitor
>periodically makes weird noises like a relay chattering and the
>picture tries to change scan rates for a moment.  It comes back after

Me thinks you got a bum cable.  I too, have a NEC 3D hooked to my
2000, and I couldn't be more pleased !!  I experience NONE of the
problems you describe.  I used the monitor in "normal" video mode
(sans flicker fixer) for the 1st couple of months I had it.  I never
experienced relay chatter, ghosting characters or anything else. The
only "problem" I experienced was that the monitor is so sharp the gaps
between scan lines looked like the Grand Canyon. So I sprung for a flicker
fixer. Now the thing has a display that rivals a Mac II.

The only nit-noids I have with the monitor:  It takes 30 seconds to a minute
or so to warm up to full brightness. And the power cord is located on the
back in a position where it's relatively easy to pull out if you swivel the
monitor a lot.

So, I'd advise you to check your cable carefully.  I hacked mine myself, using
the information in the NEC 3d info booklet.

In summary, in contrast to Jim's experiences, I would highly recommend
this monitor to anyone who want's a good multi-sync display for their Amiga.

P.S.  The NEC 3D even understands a none flicker-fixed interlaced
display, something I understand many Mult-syncs have trouble with.  In that
mode, display jitter is noticeable, but markedly reduced from what I had
with my old 1080.

Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliations with NEC, and never did.  Except
for being a satisfied user, that is...