[comp.sys.amiga] 75/1200 baud modem in software

gwr@gomez.uucp (Gordon W. Ross) (07/26/89)

In article <539@vice2utc.chalmers.se> d5kwedb@hacke9.dtek.chalmers.se
(Kristian Wedberg) writes:

>I've written a Videotex program (Prestel type) for the Amiga, a kind of
>communication program. Trouble is, here in Sweden some folks have 75/1200
>modems instead of the more normal 1200/1200.
>[...] is it possible to transmit 75 bit/s and receive 1200 bit/s over the
>serial port? At the same time? Or would you need some kind of transformer?
>	wonders kitte			d5kwedb@dtek.chalmers.se

Yes, it should be possible to transmit at a low speed using a
serial port capable only of matched transmit and receive rates.

The best way to do it is probably to write a special driver which
generates each bit of the 75 bps data under software control.
This is made relatively easy if the UART (Universal Asynchronous
Receiver/Transmitter) can be programmed to generate a "break" signal
of any desired length or to generate a "continuous break" until
software tells it otherwise.  Most UART's can do this.

A software driver would have to handle timing for the 75 bps output
and generate a "break" of the correct length for each zero bit
to be transmitted (the start bit is also a zero bit).

If the UART cannot generate "break" signals as described above,
one could use some other, controllable output signal for the TD
(Transmitted Data) line to the modem.  A special, non-standard cable
would be required to connect (for example) DTR to the modem TD pin.

Again the driver software would have to handle the timing and
generation of each bit in the 75 bps transmitted data, and would
generate the transmitted data on the (for example) DTR line.

Are these dual-rate modems very common?
Gordon W. Ross    gwr@gomez.mitre.org    (617) 271-3205 (daytime)
The MITRE Corp. (M/S E025)  Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730

claudio@forty2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (08/03/89)

As I know somebody who has the MultiTerm Videotex program, I took my
oscilloscope and attached it to that Amiga to see how the 1200/75 bps are
produced there. What that program does is, it produces from every
character a stream of character in such way, that when you send them
out at 1200 bps it will result in a waveform very similar to that
required by a 75 bps output. Of course there remain some spikes, because
the start and stop bits are not under the programmers control, but
probably they don't disturb, or you can filter them out.

				claudio

Claudio.Nieder@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Claudio Nieder) (08/06/89)

--
Fidonet:  Claudio Nieder via 1:363/9