[comp.sys.amiga] Paula -> modem ??

LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (08/03/89)

I remember reading an article about the NEXT computer, and it something to the
effect that the sound quality of the computer was so good that it could use the
stereo output ports as a 9600 baud modem.

From this, I was curious if it could be done with an Amiga.  How about at 1200,
 maybe 300?  Has anyone tried it?  I realize a special program or serial device
would have to be written to accomplish this.., but is the audio of the amiga
capable of it?

|============================================================================|
|  ''Happines is...                                                          |
|                   A Warm Chain-Saw !''                                     |
| DENNIS GORRIE (LAUL AT UREGINA1.BITNET)                                    |
|============================================================================|

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (08/03/89)

In article <8908030830.AA24580@jade.berkeley.edu> LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) writes:

>I remember reading an article about the NEXT computer, and it something to the
>effect that the sound quality of the computer was so good that it could use the
>stereo output ports as a 9600 baud modem.
>
>From this, I was curious if it could be done with an Amiga.  How about at 1200,
> maybe 300?  Has anyone tried it?  I realize a special program or serial device
>would have to be written to accomplish this.., but is the audio of the amiga
>capable of it?

How are you going to do the receive side?

Steven C. Den Beste        ||  denbeste@bbn.com (ARPA/CSNET)
BBN Communications Corp.   ||  {apple, usc, husc6, csd4.milw.wisc.edu,
150 Cambridge Park Dr.     ||   gatech, oliveb, mit-eddie,
Cambridge, MA 02140        ||   ulowell}!bbn.com!denbeste (USENET)

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (08/03/89)

In article <8908030830.AA24580@jade.berkeley.edu> LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) writes:

-I remember reading an article about the NEXT computer, and it something to the
-effect that the sound quality of the computer was so good that it could use the
-stereo output ports as a 9600 baud modem.

   Who cares about that.  If the sound quality of a modem has to be so
good, I want a 9600 baud (oops, BPS) modem that can play Who albums.

[Sorry, couldn't resist. :^)]

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (08/05/89)

LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) writes:

>I remember reading an article about the NEXT computer, and it something to the
>effect that the sound quality of the computer was so good that it could use the
>stereo output ports as a 9600 baud modem.

>From this, I was curious if it could be done with an Amiga.  How about at 1200,
> maybe 300?  Has anyone tried it?  I realize a special program or serial device
>would have to be written to accomplish this.., but is the audio of the amiga
>capable of it?

The NeXT computer has a fairly sophisticated Audio subsystem.  NeXT uses a
Motorola DSP56001, digital signal processor to provide both digitization and
synthesis of CD-quality sound.  The DSP56001-based system provides about
144 decibels of dynamic range.  There are applications that allow the audio
subsystem to support FAX, MODEM, voice mail, CD quality reproduction, and
voice and sound digitization.

As much as I would like to think that my Ami could do it, I'm afraid she just
can't match NeXT.  PLEASE somebody tell me I'm wrong.

I am looking at the Motorola DSP56001, DSP96000, and the TI 320C32 DSPs and
may give a shot at a hackware project with 1 or 2 DSPs onboard.  I haven't had
very much experience with pattern or voice recognition code, but have written
code for straight digital filters and complex waveform generation.  If there
is anyone who is familiar with the various techniques let me know maybe we
could put a project together.  I am talking to a company about me porting
their universal cross-assembler to the Amiga to use for the development.
(Yes friend you have now met a dye-in-the-wool, loveit till I die, bit
twiddling Macroite  {B-) ), besides no Ami GURUs have jumped in to provide
a C or Modula-2 Cross-compiler that is reconfigurable.  HUMMMM come to think
of not even a cross to a 68xxx is available.  How about it Lattice (John)?

The DSP56001 cost around $150 in unit quantity and the 16-bit ADC/DAC will
probably cost in the same range.  WARNING WARNING mucho memory is required
for anything but trival demos.  I have roughed out 1 MB minimal and expandable
to 8 MB.  Like a good Havana; quality is sometimes expensive.

 If anyone thinks this project might fly let me know.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

wwedwards@crocus.waterloo.edu (08/06/89)

In article <6052@ingr.com> phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) writes:

>As much as I would like to think that my Ami could do it, I'm afraid she just
>can't match NeXT.  PLEASE somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Sorry, I can't say it.  But then the BASIC setup for the NeXT computer is at
least six times as costly as the Amiga.  The set-up is pretty impressive, though.  8 Megs of Ram, an OS that is totally BSD Unix compatible (but with a much
simpler, mouse driven interface), 256Meg Read/Write CD storage with the option
of 660Meg Hard drive.  The thing that took me most by suprise is that there is
256K of memory (not a part of the basic 8 Megs) that is used just for the
Video display.  It's a system that I can see having severe teething problems
in the first few years but hit its stride sometime in the early to mid-ninties.

Wayne Edwards

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but death comes in the form of exams"

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (08/07/89)

In article <6052@ingr.com> phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) writes:
>As much as I would like to think that my Ami could do it, I'm afraid she just
>can't match NeXT.  PLEASE somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Well, you aren't wrong.  A dedicated DSP chip is gonna beat the audio
circuitry in the Amy all hollow, no two ways about it.  As far as the
original question, though, a 300 baud 103-compatible audio output (you
figure out how to get it to your phone - little speakers?  Old outmoded
acoustic couplers?) would be trivial.  A 212-compatible 1200 baud goody
_should_ be easy, but I can't say for sure.  Anything more than that gets
pretty problematic.

Note: this is transmit-only.  You'd need some sort of digitizer and some
pretty slick software to do receiving.  300 baud wouldn't be hard, given
a digitizer.  1200 baud would be tougher.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa