[comp.sys.amiga] Obese Agnus in 1000

In <1765@ucqais.uc.edu>, ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
>Talked to Greg Tibbs yesterday and he said the Obese Agnus for the
>A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
>a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
>a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).
>
>He will be distributing it through Expert Services, in FLorence Kentucky
>
>His Compuserv address is  73767,456  suppossedly there is a way
>to now go from UseNet to Compuserve.

Yes, you can reach him from the internet with the address:

  73767.456@compuserve.com

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/02/89)

In article <11359@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) writes:
   I had great hopes until
   In article <1765@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:

   :Talked to Greg Tibbs yesterday and he said the Obese Agnus for the
   :A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
   :a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
   :a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).

      For $600 why would I buy this instead of an A500 with warrenty, dealer
   support, etc.  Doesn't make sense.

I can't imagine what you are complaining about.  After adding the cost
of the board, 1.3 ROM, Fat Agnus chip, 1 MB memory (using 1 MB DRAM's
if I remember correctly), and the clock chip (did I leave anything
out?) I would say that $600 is a reasonable price for everything.  I
do hope the board is available with nothing on it as well, so that we
can pick and choose the features we want to populate it with (if that
is possible).

Why would you buy this instead of an A500 with warranty and dealer
support?

	* The A1000 has a detachable keyboard, and doesn't look ugly.
	  Ergonomically, it was the best designed of the three machines.

	* An A1000 with this configuration and no external expansion
	  would have 1.5 MB RAM (1 MB CHIP, .5 MB FAST) verus 1 MB
	  CHIP RAM on the 500.

	* The A1000 with this board can use KickStart or ROM.  The
	  500 can't.

	* The A1000 gets a subset video slot, so like the A2000 you
	  can use a FlickerFixer.  The 500 doesn't offer this feature.

	* The A1000 has a beefy power supply that doesn't self
	  destruct like the one on the A500.

	* Some of us still love our A1000's and don't want to
	  surrender them to obsolescence just yet, or buy a second
	  Amiga to get the new features of the ECS.

Is that enough reasons for you?

Personally, I can't wait for it to be available.  My check will be in
the mail.

			--M
--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (08/02/89)

Talked to Greg Tibbs yesterday and he said the Obese Agnus for the
A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).

He will be distributing it through Expert Services, in FLorence Kentucky

His Compuserv address is  73767,456  suppossedly there is a way
to now go from UseNet to Compuserve.

I guess my disclaimer should be that I am a friend of Gregs, and am
about to put my advanced degree in Biology to good use by working
at Expert Services (computers, Biology - hey, there must be a
connection :-))

I will continue to supply details as they develop, but Greg informed
me that he is very happy with the reception the board generated
at AmiExpo.

Regards,

	George

--
During the last year, more people have seen Elvis than have seen
Amiga ads, BUT - this is changing for the better   ;-) ;-) ;-)

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (08/02/89)

I had great hopes until
In article <1765@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:

:Talked to Greg Tibbs yesterday and he said the Obese Agnus for the
:A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
:a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
:a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).

   For $600 why would I buy this instead of an A500 with warrenty, dealer
support, etc.  Doesn't make sense.

Long live the LUCAS project!

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

terry@helios (Terry Ricketts) (08/02/89)

	I have a question for those who know something about this board for
the A1000. Will it work with the Insider? I have the Insider installed in my
A1000 as well as the other internal memory hack to give me 2Megs internal. I
might be interested if I didn't have to remove the Insider.

eachus@mbunix.mitre.org (Robert Eachus) (08/03/89)

In article <11359@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> dbk@teroach.UUCP(Dave Kinzer) writes:

>   For $600 why would I buy this instead of an A500 with warrenty, dealer
>support, etc.  Doesn't make sense.

     For this price you get (assuming you already have an Amiga 1000):

        1 MEG Chip RAM
	1/2 MEG true FAST RAM
	1.3 Kickstart in ROM
	Internal Clock
	EHB (Halfbrite)

    and you get to keep your current peripherals, your current power
supply (much more reliable than that of the A500) and a detachable
keyboard.  Sounds good to me, especially when the extra 1 MEG of RAM
alone currently costs at least half that.

>Long live the LUCAS project!

     Agreed, I think LUCAS is wonderful, but the only relation with
this is that it makes the LUCAS board worth doing.  As far as I
know, both upgrades will be compatible, but they do different things.

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (08/03/89)

In article <11359@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) writes:

>   For $600 why would I buy this instead of an A500 with warrenty, dealer
>support, etc.  Doesn't make sense.

   The Rejuvenator will offer a video slot which can run the MicroWay
Flicker Fixer; the A1000 has a detatched keyboard; if you have any
side-mounted peripherals you can keep them; the A1000 provides composite
color out rather than the grey scale of the A500; and you may prefer the
A1000 keyboard to the A500 (I don't). So there are a few reasons to pay
for a rejuvenator rather than a new A500, if these are important to
you.

--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (08/03/89)

In article <11359@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) writes:

> I had great hopes until
> In article <1765@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
>
> :Talked to Greg Tibbs yesterday and he said the Obese Agnus for the
> :A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
> :a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
> :a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).
>
>    For $600 why would I buy this instead of an A500 with warrenty, dealer
> support, etc.  Doesn't make sense.
>
> Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

What if you are a developer who owns many $$$$$$'s of peripherals that
hook to the 1000, but will not be compatible with the 500/2000?  Do you
try to sell the stuff and hope to recoup a small fraction of the original
costs? or do you buy a 500/2000 and have to start over again??  While
the Rejuvinator project is certainly not for everybody, I can certainly
see a niche for it.

(again the disclaimer) - I am a friend of Greg Tibbs and about to start working
at the store where the board will be distributed from - however at the
moment, I am still a happy (albeit poor) graduate student :-).

Regards,

George
--

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (08/03/89)

<portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> writes in

>>    For $600 why would I buy this instead of an A500 with warrenty, dealer
>> support, etc.  Doesn't make sense.
>
>I can't imagine what you are complaining about.  After adding the cost
>of the board, 1.3 ROM, Fat Agnus chip, 1 MB memory (using 1 MB DRAM's
>if I remember correctly),

Obviously not. Using 1 MB DRAMs would force you to put at least 2 Megs in.

>and the clock chip (did I leave anything
>out?) I would say that $600 is a reasonable price for everything.

For $600 I can buy the A500 with 1 Meg Chips ram in it, sell my A1000 and
use the money to add yet another 1 Meg fast ram (at least).

>I do hope the board is available with nothing on it as well, so that we
>can pick and choose the features we want to populate it with (if that
>is possible).

I would hope that too, in order to save some money though.

>    * Some of us still love our A1000's and don't want to
>      surrender them to obsolescence just yet, or buy a second
>      Amiga to get the new features of the ECS.

Unfortunately, this hack does not provide for the ECS, only the Agnus with
an overweight problem. What I would really like is a board which lets me
take advantage of the new graphic mode of the ECS. Simply addressing 1 Meg
chip ram instead of 512K is not much of an improuvement.

> Is that enough reasons for you?

Hah!

> Michael Portuesi         Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may destroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

In article <1765@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:

>Talked to Greg Tibbs yesterday and he said the Obese Agnus for the
>A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
>a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
>a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).

Two questions:

1> why so much? because of the memory?, for that much I could sell my 1000
for about $300, take that $600 for the board, add $200 more and buy an Amiga
2000.
Hmm. lets see.... $150 for 1 meg of memory, $100 for the Agnus, $50 for support
parts (caps, connectors, resistors, etc) . $25 for the PC board. $325 at cost.
Maybe he should be selling for around $450, instead of $600. Us Amiga 1000
owners are reluctant to shell out too much cash for a machine that we will
probably end up replacing in a year or two anyway.

2> What about the other half of the ECS? Will the A1000 be able to support
that, how about with this board installed?

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.

mph@behemoth.phx.mcd.mot.com (Mark Huth) (08/03/89)

In article <8908030337.AA22754@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
.<portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> writes in ...
.>of the board, 1.3 ROM, Fat Agnus chip, 1 MB memory (using 1 MB DRAM's
.>if I remember correctly),
.
.Obviously not. Using 1 MB DRAMs would force you to put at least 2 Megs in.

Guess you never heard of  1MB DRAMs in the 256k x 4 bit format -
very common these days.

Mark Huth

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (08/05/89)

In article <8908030337.AA22754@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

   [ discussion about the ECS daughterboard for the A1000 ]

>Unfortunately, this hack does not provide for the ECS, only the Agnus with
>an overweight problem. What I would really like is a board which lets me
>take advantage of the new graphic mode of the ECS. Simply addressing 1 Meg
>chip ram instead of 512K is not much of an improuvement.

I have heard rumors that the new Denise chip will work in an A1000.
Can ANYONE shed some enlightenment on this?  I, for one, have a
multisync monitor and would really like to use the new graphic mode(s?)
without buying a new machine.

Maurice LeBrun                Institute for Fusion Studies
mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu      University of Texas at Austin
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (08/08/89)

In article <16601@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:

>I have heard rumors that the new Denise chip will work in an A1000.
>Can ANYONE shed some enlightenment on this?  I, for one, have a
>multisync monitor and would really like to use the new graphic mode(s?)
>without buying a new machine.

The ECS Denise chip *will* work in the Amiga 1000. This will *not* allow
you to make use of the new extended video modes, however, because the
Denise must be refreshed by a matching ECS Agnes chip (which also knows
of the new modes). What you will get are the new Genlock modes. That's
about it, though.
--

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (08/08/89)

In article <928@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> In article <1765@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
> >A1000 should be ready in about 60-90 days.  He is going with
> >a commercial product, and the price should be around $600 for
> >a fully populated board (Agnus, 1 meg memory, clock, etc..).
> Two questions:
> 1> why so much? because of the memory?, for that much I could sell my 1000
> for about $300, take that $600 for the board, add $200 more and buy an Amiga
> 2000.
> Hmm. lets see.... $150 for 1 meg of memory, $100 for the Agnus, $50 for support
> parts (caps, connectors, resistors, etc) . $25 for the PC board. $325 at cost.
> Maybe he should be selling for around $450, instead of $600. Us Amiga 1000
> owners are reluctant to shell out too much cash for a machine that we will
> probably end up replacing in a year or two anyway.
>
> 2> What about the other half of the ECS? Will the A1000 be able to support
> that, how about with this board installed?

The PCB will cost more than $25.  Not only will it be done in small lots
(unsure of market potential as of yet), but there are fixed costs involved
in PCB (setup, drill master, etc.) that have to be spread over the
costs of the number of board actually produced.  THen there is the
stuffing costs, a electronics house will be doing all work (PCB
manufacturing and stuffing) this also adds costs to the board.  THey
also do the quality control work (24 hour burn-in, test jigs, etc..)
Greg wants to make sure it is done right.

Anything that is supported on the 500/2000 will be supported on the REjuvinator card
Rejuvinator card - as in the ECS.  Since the Denise chip will
drop in a 1000, why shouldn't it work with this card.  I think a lot
of folks have a misconception about the ECS and what chips are changing
and what chips are merely being enhanced (no form change).

Greg does not want to release this as a kit for reasons left to him,
suffice to say that it is an interesting hack that he has done and
will certainly benefit a lot of dealers.  WHile he does not think that
every 1000 owner will get one (after all, the kid down the street
who plays games all day certainly does not need the upgrade), there
should be enough developers and computer enthusiasts to make this worth
his while.  Greg is a electronics design person at the Wright Patterson
Air Force Base (in a civilian capacity), and he did this on his own time.
I can certainly see where he would like to make some money for all his
troubles, besides, since he is going commercial, there is the normal
costs involved when going through distributer such as discount points,
dealer copies, evaluation copies, etc (they DO all add up)

Regards,
	George

p.s.  Hello to the engineers from H.E.L.L.  - hey Brick - :-)

I can certainly see wher he