[comp.sys.amiga] Piracy, prosecution, & thanks to PD writers

rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) (08/04/89)

In article <KUDLA.89Jul28002804@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>Have I pirated? Yeah, plenty, but not much on the Amiga. On the C64

Hmm, is this a confession?  I wonder if this would stand in court?  Perhaps
the authorities should be called.  Won't Robert be suprised when an FBI
agent shows up at his door with a search warrent?  Even if his statement
above won't go far in prosecuting him, it probably could get a search
warrent out, and then his stash of illegal copies would do the rest.

Hey, maybe this is how to stop piracy.  Just get everybody to brag on the
net of how much they've pirated, and have the FBI listen in.  They'd better
start hiring LOTS of agents. :-)

Robert also comments about not being able to afford the programs.  Hey,
neither can I--that's why I have < 5.  But I have tons of PD stuff and its
great!  So allow me to take this opportunity to thank all the writers--Great
job people!  Sorry, but to list all their names would take pages.

=======================================
=          Simon Rademacher           =
= rademach%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu =

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/04/89)

In article <10466@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) writes:
> In article <KUDLA.89Jul28002804@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>>Have I pirated? Yeah, plenty, but not much on the Amiga. On the C64
>
> Hmm, is this a confession?  I wonder if this would stand in court?  Perhaps
> the authorities should be called.  Won't Robert be suprised when an FBI
> agent shows up at his door with a search warrent?  Even if his statement
> above won't go far in prosecuting him, it probably could get a search
> warrent out, and then his stash of illegal copies would do the rest.
>
> Hey, maybe this is how to stop piracy.  Just get everybody to brag on the
> net of how much they've pirated, and have the FBI listen in.  They'd better
> start hiring LOTS of agents. :-)
>
> Robert also comments about not being able to afford the programs.  Hey,
> neither can I--that's why I have < 5.  But I have tons of PD stuff and its
> great!  So allow me to take this opportunity to thank all the writers--Great
> job people!  Sorry, but to list all their names would take pages.

From my experience with "PD" stuff on the AMIGA, there is very little. Most
freely distributable software on the Amiga is ShareWare. If you are so pure,
send me copies of the checks you wrote to every author of the "tons" of
shareware stuff you use. Pages, huh? Amazing how you could afford it but can't
afford any commercial stuff.

--
James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (08/08/89)

>From my experience with "PD" stuff on the AMIGA, there is very little. Most
>freely distributable software on the Amiga is ShareWare.

That's not true.  I ran a BBS for almost 2 years and have over 50 megs
of PD files.  I'd say at least 75-80% of that *is not* shareware.

Some of the most useful programs I have are PD.

Of course you have to look for the stuff and weed out the useless
stuff.  But if its that or pay $100 for a commercial version I'll take
the time and check out the local BBS'.

As for Amiga software I think most of it is much more affordable than
Mac or IBM software.  PageStream (which would rival many IBM/Mac DTP
programs) cost me $130.  PageMaker is around $300 or more.  MaxiPlan
is just over $100 whereas Lotus 123 is several hundred.

I'm sure a lot of people don't care for this but a local computer
store rents software (anything under $50 or so).  I like this,
especially for games.  I've been burned a few times buying some stupid
game that looked good when running the demo or the package looked
good.  Being able to rent it first saves me a lot of money.

| -Al Harrington                  /// |                                    |
|                                ///  |    "Do I look like I'm joking?"    |
| alh@hprmo.HP.COM           \\\///   |                                    |
| ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh \XX/    |               - The Joker          |
|         My comments in no way reflect the views or opinions of HP        |