[comp.sys.amiga] Mail to compuserve - Jerry, herre we come !

In <2920@osiris.UUCP>, johnj@osiris.UUCP (John Johnston johnj@welch.jhu.edu) writes:
>Somebody writes::
>>  73767.456@compuserve.com
>
>	Does this mean that there is a gateway to compuserve somewhere out
>there ?

Yes there is. It was written by a sysop on the Unix Forum, Karl Kleinpaste.
(I hope I have that detail right).

> Does this mean that we can all send E-mail to Jerry Pournelle next
>time he says something totally braindead ??

_If_ you know his Compuserve id number (PPN), _if_ he even has one, yes.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

johnj@osiris.UUCP (John Johnston johnj@welch.jhu.edu) (08/03/89)

Somebody writes::
>  73767.456@compuserve.com

	Does this mean that there is a gateway to compuserve somewhere out
there ? Does this mean that we can all send E-mail to Jerry Pournelle next
time he says something totally braindead ??

	--mjr();
	mjr@welch.jhu.edu

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/04/89)

In article <2920@osiris.UUCP> mjr@welch.jhu.edu writes:
>Somebody writes::
>>  73767.456@compuserve.com
>
>	Does this mean that there is a gateway to compuserve somewhere out
>there ? Does this mean that we can all send E-mail to Jerry Pournelle next
>time he says something totally braindead ??

Yes that means we can send e-mail to him after every column ...

FYI the gateway is being run through cis.ohio-state.edu by Karl Kleinpaste.
I don't know if it's considered totally official yet or if it's still
in test stage.  But rumor has it they're doing ~300 messages per day.

There's some funny syntax for mailing back, like

	>internet:address

or some such -- there's a posting in comp.mail.{uucp,misc} right now
detailing the gateway..
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

mowgli@bat.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor) (08/08/89)

In article <685@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca
          (Larry Phillips) writes:

>Yes there is. It was written by a sysop on the Unix Forum, Karl Kleinpaste.
>(I hope I have that detail right).

Nope, I'm afraid you've got that detail wrong. Karl Kleinpaste works for the
Ohio State University Computer And Information Science Department. But, he did
help get CompuServe on the net. I don't think that it's been 'officially'
announced yet, but it was discussed in one of the local groups here.

(Text about mailing to Jerry Pournelle deleted 9-)

>_If_ you know his Compuserve id number (PPN), _if_ he even has one, yes.
>
>-larry

That is correct, you must have the guy/gal's PPN, to send mail. If you know
that they are employed AT CompuServe, you can send mail to their name, which
(from what I've seen) is their first initial followed by their last name.But,
doing it by PPN is MUCH safer.

					Later, <Mowgli>

-=-
Address: mowgli@puffer.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor in real life)
     Or: mowgli@cis.ohio-state.edu
The 2 precepts of Semi-Divinity:	(1) Mind Thine Own Business.
					(2) Don't Worry About It.